U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 AM

25 posts, read 111,524 times

Advertisements

We currently live on the Aurora/Naperville border and really like the area and people we have met. However, my husband and I will both be working from home and hopefully starting a family soon so our needs will change. We won't need to be by the Metra and we may want to be closer to family in Milwaukee. Although maybe the distance is just perfect now?

That being said, what are some family-friendly areas between Chicago and Milwaukee where you could get a decent SFH for about 350k? We would need 3-4 bedrooms b/c of our office needs and obviously a decent school. I'm not into the hype of the "best" schools b/c I know I did better in undergrad and grad than classmates from "better" schools and I owe that to my parents, not the schools. Of course I want a safe area with kid-friendly activities and good schools. I would love a walkable downtown area, but I'm not sure if I can get all of this in our current price range.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,950,554 times
Have you looked into Gurnee? Maybe Crystal Lake or Algonquin? Theyre not really that close to Milwaukee, but closer than you currently are. How close do you want to be? Right near the WI/IL border? A little further south? Close to the lake?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:52 AM

We probably wouldn't move for at least another year so this is just preliminary research so far. Even though I grew up in WI, I don't know a thing about IL except for Chicago and now a little bit of the Western Burbs. I like all the activities we have out by Naperville, but it might be nice to be closer to family as well. Is Gurnee isolated? I definitely don't want an isolated town, but it would be nice to get anywhere North of the city again. We used to live in Andersonville and it took us almost as long to get to Milwaukee b/c we were so far East from 94, but I don't feel like we hit the traffic as much out there vs. Naperville.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:10 PM

18 posts, read 70,652 times
Check out woodstock it is a smaller version of the western burbs ull fall in love with the downtown

Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM

4,665 posts, read 8,709,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyngrl View Post
We currently live on the Aurora/Naperville border and really like the area and people we have met. However, my husband and I will both be working from home and hopefully starting a family soon so our needs will change. We won't need to be by the Metra and we may want to be closer to family in Milwaukee. Although maybe the distance is just perfect now?

That being said, what are some family-friendly areas between Chicago and Milwaukee where you could get a decent SFH for about 350k? We would need 3-4 bedrooms b/c of our office needs and obviously a decent school. I'm not into the hype of the "best" schools b/c I know I did better in undergrad and grad than classmates from "better" schools and I owe that to my parents, not the schools. Of course I want a safe area with kid-friendly activities and good schools. I would love a walkable downtown area, but I'm not sure if I can get all of this in our current price range.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
I'd look into Grayslake as well.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:30 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,950,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyngrl View Post
We probably wouldn't move for at least another year so this is just preliminary research so far. Even though I grew up in WI, I don't know a thing about IL except for Chicago and now a little bit of the Western Burbs. I like all the activities we have out by Naperville, but it might be nice to be closer to family as well. Is Gurnee isolated? I definitely don't want an isolated town, but it would be nice to get anywhere North of the city again. We used to live in Andersonville and it took us almost as long to get to Milwaukee b/c we were so far East from 94, but I don't feel like we hit the traffic as much out there vs. Naperville.
Gurnee is right off the highway, should only be a few minutes from Gurnee to WI depending on traffic. Its not very isolated at all and is growing at a decent clip too. Ever been to Six Flags Great America or Gurnee Mills shopping center? Thats Gurnee right there, just in case you wanted a visual.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:09 PM

25 posts, read 96,008 times
I would agree with Gurnee being a nice area with lots to do and close to Wisconsin. Or you can look at Algonquin/Crystal Lake. They are both big up and coming towns where you can get a big house for a great price and closer to Wisconsin. Woodstock is close by but isn't as nice as Crystal Lake/ Algonquin.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,085,097 times
theres not really anything isolated between chicago and milwaukee....

that said Gurnee is pretty good though no walkable downtown. the other towns mentioned are a bit far west if you want to be closer to milwaukee, though Grayslake fits the bill I think. Libertyville might be a good option, nice downtown and also north and not too far from the interstate.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:33 PM

I'll definitely have to check out those areas, most likely Grayslake, Gurnee and Libertyville. Libertyville seems like more of our type of town, but I'm not sure about the home prices and what we could get.

I'm not into Great America or Gurnee Mills, I feel like they are a little worn down which is why I wonder about Gurnee in general. We'll see, I guess we have some time to decide. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:33 PM

5,412 posts, read 8,279,710 times
Antioch is a nice town near the border of WI. It has a walkable downtown, good schools and parks, new subdivisions, it's close to 294, and it's in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs