Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 05:18 PM

5 posts, read 4,867 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm graduating college this spring and beginning work in Tinley Park. I know Tinley Park is very south of the downtown area but I'm looking to live somewhere in between roughly 30 minutes from Tinley Park and 30 from the northern side of the city.

Looking for any input on fun and adequately safe places to live that fits this criteria or atleast close. Not that picky but looking to keep the commute under 45 minutes. Also wondering what the traffic is like if I live further in the city (Pilsen area??) and commute out towards the suburbs.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 05:35 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
What's your budget for rent and what's your definition of fun? What's your definition of adequately safe?

I would imagine you mean bars, restaurants and other recent college grads are involved in your fun but please correct me if that's inaccurate.

My initial thoughts are Bridgeport, Pilsen, University Village/Little Italy and maybe West Loop, but travel times can vary as well as the correct answer based on info such as budget. Is your plan to get to the north side of the city by car or public transit? Are there certain neighborhoods on the north side you're thinking specifically to visit more often?

I don't think you'll find anything more than a minute or two under 30 minutes even with no traffic. Tinley's a decent distance from downtown Chicago.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:25 PM

Default Safety and Fun

Budget isn't an issue really just wanting to make sure the area is safe and fun. But probably around $1500, still trying to decide if I want to live alone or have a roommate.

I've been living in Minneapolis the past 4 years so I understand all areas have their good and bad areas but would like to be able to walk home from bars at night without having to worry much.As for fun, yeah I was thinking bars, restaurants, and younger/recent graduate crowds.

I have friends that live in Wrigleyville and would probably be spending a lot of time up in that area on the weekends. As for how I get there, I will have a car and not against driving as I am new to using public transit. But being located next to a station that could be used to get up around that area would be beneficial and a definite plus!

Old 01-01-2017, 08:11 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Tinley Park is located about 40 miles SW of Chicago a solid 90+ minutes from northside neighborhoods like Lakeview. Frankly there are ZERO areas that are going to be consistently 30 minutes from any work located in the town and 30 minutes from Lakeview / Wrigleyville. I have personally tried to get from Tinely Park to Midway in the evening and it can be over an hour when there is heavy traffic.

The suggestion to look towards Bridgeport is probably about as good as you can do as that would be about 40 minutes or so for the "outbound" AM commute but the "ride home" in the evening is likely to be closer to an hour many nights.

As far as "nightlife" there is nowhere on the southside that can hold a candle to Lakeview or other northside neighborhoods. There are handful of spots that are decent when the Sox have a night game but nothing like Lakeview. The OP will likely end up jealous of their friends closer to Wrigley. The trip from Bridgeport to Lakeview is about 30 minute via the Red line, so the OP could visit friends after work, though they may be unpleasantly surprised by how desolate the ride home will be as the things are prone to becoming very isolated even during baseball season (lots more nightlife in Lakeview than Bridgeport...).

If the OP wants a shorter commute there truly are not many good options, though there are some decent spots in towns like Brookfield or LaGrange the traffic conditions are likely to still mean more than 30 minutes AM & PM. Those towns are quite safe and do have some nice bars and restaurants but these are not like the kind of places around Wrigley or other northside neighborhoods.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:30 PM

22 posts, read 22,453 times
You could always get one of the newer apartments in Orland (in the Village Center) along the train line. It is right next to Tinley and you will barely have a commute and still be easily accessible to the city whenever you want. There are some decent bars and restaurants in that area believe it or not. Might be easier to go out with new coworkers and stuff too.

Last edited by Urban Evergreen Villager; 01-01-2017 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Specify what part of Orland Park

Old 01-01-2017, 08:36 PM

Default Reality vs echo chamber...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Evergreen Villager View Post
You could always get one of the newer apartments in Orland (in the Village Center) along the train line. It is right next to Tinley and you will barely have a commute and still be easily accessible to the city whenever you want. There are some decent bars and restaurants in that area believe it or not. Might be easier to go out with new coworkers and stuff too.
There are young people that work and live outside Chicago but the folks that frequent the message boards here are staunch supporters of a narrow view that DEMANDS all young people in the region live INSIDE CHICAGO...

A more balanced view would include the fact there are lots of decent employers outside the traditional work destination of Chicago's Loop; many of those jobs are probably held by young people that have a longer term view of their career and may relocate to other areas as their career progresses.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:48 PM

22 posts, read 22,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are young people that work and live outside Chicago but the folks that frequent the message boards here are staunch supporters of a narrow view that DEMANDS all young people in the region live INSIDE CHICAGO...

A more balanced view would include the fact there are lots of decent employers outside the traditional work destination of Chicago's Loop; many of those jobs are probably held by young people that have a longer term view of their career and may relocate to other areas as their career progresses.
Funny! Well I for one had good experiences in Orland Park and there are a lot of college graduates in the area believe it or not. Many of which socialize in the suburbs AND the city!

Old 01-02-2017, 11:30 AM

I understand that the south side of the city holds very little when compared to Wrigleyville and surrounding area. I was just looking for insight as to where I might be able to find some level of young energy and fun on the south side that wouldn't be a horrible commute to Tinley Park. You mentioned Bridgeport, are there any other areas near there that would be worth looking into?

It seems if I stay close to I-94 and 41 I should be able to get around some what faster?? If I am mistaken and the traffic is just too much tell me if I'm wrong. Hyde Park I know is home to the University of Chicago so I would assume has a younger crowd, but I have also heard it isn't the safes? is this still the case?

Thanks

Old 01-03-2017, 09:04 AM

Default When it comes to "fun" Hyde Park is not well regarded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotaboy5 View Post
I understand that the south side of the city holds very little when compared to Wrigleyville and surrounding area. I was just looking for insight as to where I might be able to find some level of young energy and fun on the south side that wouldn't be a horrible commute to Tinley Park. You mentioned Bridgeport, are there any other areas near there that would be worth looking into?

It seems if I stay close to I-94 and 41 I should be able to get around some what faster?? If I am mistaken and the traffic is just too much tell me if I'm wrong. Hyde Park I know is home to the University of Chicago so I would assume has a younger crowd, but I have also heard it isn't the safes? is this still the case?

Thanks
Hyde Park is very well policed and has relatively good reputation for safety, if anything the focus on data released by the University's police force gets the whole community involved in reporting even attempted crimes.

The issue of "fun" is different. The kinds of students that are attracted to University of Chicago tend to be rather more serious than the typical undergrad at universities with a larger and less accomplished student body -- there is really no "campus town" and even compared to other schools in urban settings the academic rigor of UofC really is paramount. The high living costs of Hyde Park tend to make lower income grad students seek out other options. The University has invested in some areas to try to encourage recreation, but it is nothing like the mix of options in Lakeview...

Inside Chicago US41 is Lake Shore Drive and it is as far east as one can go for much of the city's length, given that Tinley Park is a considerable distance west you probably should look for other routes. Perhaps you are confusing thoroughfares in Tinley Park such as LaGrange Rd which is also known as Rt45 or Harlem Ave which is Rt 43 with 41??

Old 01-03-2017, 04:11 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
Hyde Park is safe but really boring. I wouldn't live there unless you had a need to be within a short commute of the University.

I think I like the Orland idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs