Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I hear you on that one. I'm not a huge fan of our long cold winters, but I will take them any day over the creepy snakes, lizards, and huge bugs the warmer climates get. At least our freezing winters keeps those things in check!
Because Chicago freezes so hard most if not all bugs die off in the winter. Down here it only freezes hard a few times each winter and usually thaws out that day. The coast has less freeze and they have bigger bugs down there; but I don't live there and for reason. I have already seen bees, wasps or hornets (not sure which or if all) here but they don't keep me away from the pool. Lizards don't frighten me and it is fun to watch the cats chase them. Fire ants however are another pest I could do without but I'm not a big outside person because of allergies. Just give me a pool 4 months of the year and I'm happy.

We choose this area because of the lack of snow and cold weather; lack of having to board our house up on impulse for hurricanes, and many other reasons. If it floods you run for the hills; you can't do that in Chicago and I suspect we will never have to do it here. If you are looking to get away from those things this is a good place to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
It is no more hot and humid here than it is in Chicago. Try walking to your job in the loop in August's 100 degree temperature. If you have to walk more than 6 blocks as I did you will be soaked before you get there and then you have to look all "professional" with sweat sticking to your skin. It gets cold here for about 2-1/2 months; compare that to Chicago's possible 6 months of cold. It doesn't in my book.
Chicago as hot and humid as South Carolina? Puhleeeeze. Our hottest summer days are your average summer high temps. You know how many days Chicago averages that are over 90 degrees? 18 days. South Carolina? 53. Yeah, please, tell me again that Chicago is as hot. Yes its true that we can get as hot and humid as South Carolina on occasion, but cmon, everyone on earth knows that Chicago is not nearly as hot or humid as South Carolina.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,423 times
Atlanta and Charlotte surely have more hot, humid, nasty summer days than Chicago and Detroit. You can't escape heat, but you can mitigate it by living North.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Chicago as hot and humid as South Carolina? Puhleeeeze. Our hottest summer days are your average summer high temps. You know how many days Chicago averages that are over 90 degrees? 18 days. South Carolina? 53. Yeah, please, tell me again that Chicago is as hot. Yes its true that we can get as hot and humid as South Carolina on occasion, but cmon, everyone on earth knows that Chicago is not nearly as hot or humid as South Carolina.
That SC average you talk about is for the entire state, being on the backside of the Smokies keeps us cooler up here. Yes, it does get unbearably hot in places like Columbia and Charleston, but not so much here. Besides I've got a pool I can actually get into so it bothers me less.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 AM

108 posts, read 502,589 times
I'll take 90 degrees and humid sitting beside the ocean versus 80 degrees sitting in between two giant buildings with the sun reflecting off of the glass anyday. Be it for 18 days or 53 days

Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsv1496 View Post
I'll take 90 degrees and humid sitting beside the ocean versus 80 degrees sitting in between two giant buildings with the sun reflecting off of the glass anyday. Be it for 18 days or 53 days
That suits some but not all. Our 10-day forecast calls for the following highs, respectively; 61, 72, 76, 79, 77, 64, 72, 71, 73, and 68. That 79 is warm for this time of year but I'm on vacation so its very welcome. We love it.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsv1496 View Post
I take it you lived downtown?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM

108 posts, read 502,589 times
I lived at Armitage and Kedzie for over a year. I didn't mean to give the perception I lived in between these buildings, but I spent my fair share wondering the streets on foot.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:51 AM

64 posts, read 162,824 times
I'm originally from Illinois, but in October 2008, I moved to Colorado. I totally understand your frustataions with Illinois, that was the reason I left.

I HATE IT HERE!!! Don't get me wrong Colorado has some good points. Real estate is pretty affordable, you get more bang for your buck. It's beautiful, fresh air, mountain views, nice people, great weather, etc etc. But unless your an outdoorsy type of person. This state really lacks culture (theatre, good restaurants, etc).

I'm actually trying to move to LA or NY. If I can't get jobs in those states, I'll be in Illinois again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyscooby View Post
Im from the western suburbs, and although my significant other and I do ok with our home and salaries, it is just ridiculous out here. You cant get much of a home for under 350k, and taxes on top of that are crazy. We added and fence and our taxes went up! Then look at your paycheck and how much gets taken out! For the love of GOD!
I know it's life, and us Illinois people are used to it, but don't you ever think you want to move somewhere else to live better...like Nevada?

But my question is, (because I am in the situation), how many people relocated for the "better" financial future, but regretted it and moved back to snowy, expensive Illinois??

Old 05-24-2009, 11:52 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times
I lived in San Angelo, Tx one summer and would take that over the humidity in Chicago any day! True, the temps are usually in the high 80s-90s and even reached 100 a few times, but it is really a drier heat. My fair skin was able to adapt to it better than the humidity here. I even would run 5 miles at night without a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs