Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times

Advertisements

Hopefully it is much safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 07:46 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So you're saying Berwyn and Cicero don't feel city like??? Also have you been to Whiting or Hammond? Virtually indistinguishable from the South Side and unless you know the area well you might never know you left the city. Heck if you ask me the transition to Hammond from the city is less drastic than the one to Evanston.
Ok....I agree they are urban but I am talking about young and hip and walkable and "cool". Cicero is not "there" yet. Like somewhere that would give Lincoln Park or Lakeview a run, albeit on a smaller scale.

In fact it still has high crime like much of the west side! My cousin grew up on the west side and it sickened me to see his home just 3 years ago. Wonder what it looks like now!

Old 02-06-2017, 08:30 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Ok....I agree they are urban but I am talking about young and hip and walkable and "cool". Cicero is not "there" yet. Like somewhere that would give Lincoln Park or Lakeview a run, albeit on a smaller scale.
That would be "gentrified", rather than "urban" per se. My definition of urban must include the following criteria:
* Businesses line the sides of major streets, not sit in a sea of parking lots.
* A sizable percentage of residential buildings are multifamily dwellings.
* Most, if not all, streets run in a right-angle grid. (Riverside, IL is an oddball exception to this.)
* Walk score is 70 (out of 100) or higher.
* You can look or act weird, and nobody really cares.
* Streets have streetlights.
* There is heavy pedestrian activity.
* Public transportation runs late, often, or both.
* Ambient noise level is relatively high during the day, and audible at night.
* (helpful) There is at least one train station.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:20 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:

In fact it still has high crime like much of the west side! My cousin grew up on the west side and it sickened me to see his home just 3 years ago. Wonder what it looks like now!
The question was suburbs that are city-like, not what you or I deem is cool.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:42 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Yes the questions was which was city like not which one was cool. And Cicero has no where near the crime rate of the west side that it borders on. I would definitely go to Cicero and do, I would not go to the west side except for a travel up Austin Avenue in a car to the Eisenhower.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:12 AM

128 posts, read 97,834 times
Quote:
I keep forgetting that on this forum "urban" is a synonym for cool neighborhoods full of trendy bistros and coffee shops and bars and fun things for 20-somethings to do, with nary a chain store or restaurant in sight.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:07 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
Quote:
No way Naperhell or Schaumburg are anything city like

No suburb in Chicago can come even close to Evanston as far as feeling city like, and also being connected to the best in the city.

Oak Park is certainly up and coming and is building more density. Oak Park is more desirable than honestly about half the city limits of Chicago itself. I come home to Chicago often for a big city fix and to visit relatives but I was pleasantly surprised by a recent visit to Oak Park. I mainly stick to the north side so it was a nice change. The natural place to gentrify would be the near south side, but with rampant crime, it really hs not made it much past south loop unless you consider "islands" like Hyde Park.
If you're going to call it Naperhell, at least call Schaumburg Scumburg.

I'd add Park Ridge.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:16 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
If you're going to call it Naperhell, at least call Schaumburg Scumburg.
I've heard Naperville being called "Raperville" in the past. [No] thanks to club Zero Gravity from the days of yore (1993--2015). It was the only under-21 club in a 50-mile radius. Some people pre-drank before going. Others snuck in worse things. 'Nuff said.

Unlike the clean-cut but mundane venues (all 21+) in Downtown or the Route 59 corridor, Zero Gravity put Naperville on the map!

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-07-2017 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 05:16 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
A random neighborhood street in Skokie or Lincolnwood doesn't look that different from its equivalent in Chicago's Sauganash or Edgebrook neighborhoods, lol.
Skokie, Lincolnwood, and for that matter, west Wilmette, are merely an extension of the North Side neighborhoods to their south....I agree with how you explained this.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:05 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Stone Park, Berwyn, and Cicero have the highest population density in the suburbs with each one being over 14k ppsm. Evanston has the most urban CBD, with a large swath( it's Northwest side) is "suburban" viewing it from streetview. Evanston's density (slightly under 10k ppsm) is a significant drop off from Rogers Park's 30k ppsm and every other city neighborhood along the red line Northside and purple line. Oak Park is the more urban of the two in general and its box/rectangle shaped boundaries does not allow for suburban sprawl at all.

Note: Population density is not the end to be all indicator what qualifies as suburban. I mentioned that Stone Park is among the suburbs with the highest density, but its housing stock and layout doesn't look more urban than Skokie. On the other hand, Cicero and Berwyn has identical housing stock and layout to nearby neighborhoods in the city, which I think gives it an edge in urban feel compared to Evanston and Oak Park.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 05-27-2017 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs