Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,793 times

Advertisements

Brookfield is a good place to live. Both RB and LT are great high schools; however, there are four grade school districts serving the community. The south east part of the village is served by an elementary school district which has seen its share of economic problems. The major housing problems are related to the difficulty in finding large numbers of 3+ bedroom units with 2+ baths. Many families are buying, staying and adding a second floor for extra space. However, in the past, the next step was usually not to LaGrange Park, but to Westchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 05:38 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,179,362 times
I have no idea how far back "in the past" Westchester was a step up from Brookfield -- the high school situation has been off-the-charts bad in Westchester for 30 years...

Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 AM

79 posts, read 263,937 times
It's not typically for the schools that people buy in Westchester, it's the affordability. The grade schools are ranked high by residents and by the time the child does goes to high school, most would have moved up/out anyway.

La Grange Park homeowners are keeping the home prices higher than the average markets/neighboring towns.

Bottom line, today people are looking for "affordability" and getting the most for thier money. If they can get a 3BR/2BA in Westchester for $250K vs. $350K in La Grange Park - what do you think they are going to do?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM

I discount ratings by "residents" of their schools, you don't encounter enough people that actually understand how miserable most schools are.

You can't very well expect to move up /out if values sink below where they were when you bought in.

LGP is served by a superior set of grade schools and high schools. It makes much more sense to buy a smaller cheaper house in LGP and use the natural rise in equity to finance upgrades / expansion or simply sell and move to a nice home in LGP where you will keep you same nice neighbors and your kids won't have their life uprooted. Moves within a town of stable / appreciating values are sensible.

Westchester is an acceptable trade off for those that grew up in the area or want to utilize the private schools, or even those for whom the lack of access to Metra is not a negative. It has not been a viable step up from Brookfield for many many decades...

Old 03-11-2010, 10:05 AM

I agree, but my clients dont

Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,856,940 times
Your clients are not that smart. But then again, look at your market.

Why not try to educate your clients. In the long-term they will be much happier buying a smaller house in a better area than a larger house in a worse area. Plus, you might be the recipient of some nice referrals instead of getting quick bucks via a quick close.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 PM

It is awfully tough to be the kind of real estate agent that want to educate all your clients and see other agents spend less time and have better income, but I agree that those who do listen do sometimes come back to thank you, give you a referral or even hug in the grocery store. Doesn't pay the bills but it makes the produce guy jealous

Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Trust me HUMBOLT1 I am not that agent that wants a "close" just to get a close. I will not get rich doing what I am doing - I LOVE WHAT I DO.

And yes I DO educate them on the markets I serve (western suburbs not just local).

Sorry you are not enlightening me here.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:09 PM

Chett yes hugs are good but referrals are better

and so far, all of my clients have referred me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs