Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,755 times

Advertisements

Hey! I'm moving from Southern Illinois to the Chicago area and because I recently got a job in Oak Park. Unfortunately, it seems that Oak Park is a little bit out of my price range as I would at maximum be able to go up to $1000 a month for rent nor do I think Oak Park is really right for me. I want to find a town or a neighborhood that has good schools but is also is in my price range if that is at all possible. Are there any good family friendly Chicago suburbs that are good for people with not a lot of money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 05:29 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
you need a 2 bedroom for that?

Old 03-03-2017, 06:13 AM

11 posts, read 20,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena12kathryn View Post
Hey! I'm moving from Southern Illinois to the Chicago area and because I recently got a job in Oak Park. Unfortunately, it seems that Oak Park is a little bit out of my price range as I would at maximum be able to go up to $1000 a month for rent nor do I think Oak Park is really right for me. I want to find a town or a neighborhood that has good schools but is also is in my price range if that is at all possible. Are there any good family friendly Chicago suburbs that are good for people with not a lot of money?
More often than not, you get what you pay for. Oak Park borders some shifty areas but also some very expensive ones. You may have to drive a bit to get something that's nice but a little further away from the city. Elmwood Park nearby is pretty family friendly. It's a diverse area with easy access to everything including parks schools. I had family in Oak Park and driving there from the suburbs was brutal. Hardwood heights is pretty decent and affordable but a little bit of a drive. Norridge is a step up from harwood heights but now you're talking about a 20 min drive, possibly more in traffic. If you're looking for family friendly and good schools I would definitely try to go north or northwest if oak park but that's a personal preference.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:02 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Berwyn has cheaper apartments. Whether their schools are good remains to be seen. I've spoken to some teachers there and a few of the schools compare very favorably to schools in other areas. I'm not sure which ones though. You can get a large apartment in a two flat there for much cheaper rent. Also Forest Park might be worth investigating. It all depends on what age of kids you have. Grade schools might be okay but the two high schools Morton West, or Proviso are not where I would want to send my kids. You could also look into Riverside. There are some apartments there but they are few and far. That school district is good as well as Brookfield, or North Riverside. The latter would be cheaper and would not be a bad drive to Oak Park. Also Westchester might be a place to look. I recommend people look at hotpads.com for apartments. That's where I advertise mine. Stay away from Maywood, Broadview or Bellwood. I'd also not recommend Cicero.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:20 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
There are rentals available in nearly every town. Often the supply is small but the PRICE for suburban rentals is very often NOT driven by the same factors that drive housing prices -- the difference between a similar home in adjacent towns where one school is superior can often be hundreds of thousands of dollars while it is unusual for apartments to vary by more than even a few hundred a month. Thus, if you are willing to get a older, smaller apartment you almost certainly could find something in Oak Park or adjacent River Forest and have access to the well regarded OPRF high school and feeder elementary districts.

If you DRIVE you will likely find apartments in towns like Riverside, Brookfield, Lagrange Park, Lagrange, Western Springs, Countryside, and Indian Head Park to offer BETTER value and in many cases superior schools... Of course MOST people with school aged kids are NOT renting the apartments, they live in the costly single family homes and the larger apartment complexes tend to attract savvy lower income families who may see the benefit in living closer to the sorts of lower wage service sector job they hold AND getting their kids a top notch education for generational improvement.

One very likely would also find some good values in Elmhurst, which has some less desirable apartments especially closer to its northern border which may have impact from O'Hare but again the drive to Oak Park is not bad at all... Adjacent areas of Villa Park are also known for value oriented rentals, but the schools are generally not as well regarded.

Last edited by chet everett; 03-03-2017 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-03-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeb2009 View Post
More often than not, you get what you pay for. Oak Park borders some shifty areas but also some very expensive ones. You may have to drive a bit to get something that's nice but a little further away from the city. Elmwood Park nearby is pretty family friendly. It's a diverse area with easy access to everything including parks schools. I had family in Oak Park and driving there from the suburbs was brutal. Hardwood heights is pretty decent and affordable but a little bit of a drive. Norridge is a step up from harwood heights but now you're talking about a 20 min drive, possibly more in traffic. If you're looking for family friendly and good schools I would definitely try to go north or northwest if oak park but that's a personal preference.
Thanks! I've been looking at apartments north and was wondering if River Grove would be a good option because it's farther north?

Old 03-03-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
you need a 2 bedroom for that?
I have twins in elementary school so ideally yes, I think we could live with a one bedroom if necessary though.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:34 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
I think River Grove would be a good place to look. The schools are probably not bad but they are not the best either. If you are going to places that are cheaper you are probably not going to find the better schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs