U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:54 PM

268 posts, read 323,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I don't think so. Thornton is pretty much the same as McCook: an industrial/quarry suburb. Only the quarrying company wasn't stupid enough to destroy a major thoroughfare, like it did with Joliet Road in McCook. I-294 passes right across the quarry.
I've actually been on the old Joliet Rd Causeway since its closing. Looks like something out of a horror movie. There are actually Youtube videos of people flying drones over it.

Blasting near Joliet Rd did the majority of the damage to that road. Plus having a rigid structure without a bridge (due to structural engineering ineptitude), over a 400' quarry wasn't smart.

Did anyone mention Dixmoor? Sandwiched in between Blue Island and Harvey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 PM

3,459 posts, read 1,566,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy217 View Post
I've actually been on the old Joliet Rd Causeway since its closing. Looks like something out of a horror movie. There are actually Youtube videos of people flying drones over it.
How did you get on? It's sealed off on both ends. I presume you walked on it, not drove. Was it a special tour of some sort and/or did you have to get a permit to enter?

Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM

369 posts, read 269,529 times
Quote:

Blasting near Joliet Rd did the majority of the damage to that road. Plus having a rigid structure without a bridge (due to structural engineering ineptitude), over a 400' quarry wasn't smart.
I've thought of riding my bicycle onto the closed section of Joliet Rd there just to check it out, but the Hodgkins PD is right there so it doesn't seem worth it.

The drone videos are cool though.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
How did you get on? It's sealed off on both ends. I presume you walked on it, not drove. Was it a special tour of some sort and/or did you have to get a permit to enter?
I was permitted about 4yrs ago doing an inspection on the pavement, taking photos and whatnot.

I drove, this is before the gate on the east end was locked.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:30 PM

201 posts, read 149,332 times
Figured I would add Kildeer to this list.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:41 PM

Allow me to add Deer Park as well, since it's overshadowed by the better-known Long Grove.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:58 AM

5,159 posts, read 3,680,257 times
Quote:
Did anyone mention Thornton? Pretty much surrounded by quarries, but right off of I-80/294.
Lots of memories there... The quarry was a popular spot to explore as kids. We used to ride dirt bikes all over that area making our way from Glenwood to a dirt bike track behind Washington Square Mall that we called "Al Capone". Thorton always seemed to be covered in a coat of gray dust. And then there were those bright fluorescent green lakes around the quarry. Not sure why, but we actually went swimming in one of them as teenagers. Still gives me the creeps thinking about it, but I haven't grown an extra limb or anything so I guess it wasn't all that bad. And "Wampum Woods", no one would believe what went on there in the late 70's, early 80's. It was literally a drive-through drug store back then and I'm not talking about aspirin.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 PM

Forestview....Harwood Heights...

Old 03-24-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Forestview....Harwood Heights...
Don't forger Harwood Heights's sister suburb Norridge. Harwood Heights and Norridge were supposed to become a part of Chicago around 1970's, but the annexation never happened. After all, why else would they be "islands" surrounded by Chicago proper?

Like with more stereotypical suburbs, you can determine the borders by the change in signage and by the streetlights.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:14 AM

11 posts, read 4,635 times
Montgomery. Not Montgomery, Alabama but Montogomery illinois, Montogomery is basically a suburb and between towns of Aurora and Oswego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or