U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 08:12 AM

2,338 posts, read 1,360,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Disagree. It’s only widely known if you are familiar with nw suburban cook/sw lake counties.
Yep, this. I've heard of Inverness but no zero about its back story and have never been there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Fox Lake is well known? I'd never heard of it before I looked at a Metra map. Although Al Capone did have a weekend getaway there; maybe that's why.

Anyway, I think the south suburbs in general are lesser known, maybe because the vast, post-industrial no man's land of the South Side separates them from everywhere else - Richton Park, Olympia Fields, Matteson, Dolton, etc. I never hear those places come up in conversation except on this site. I visited them once on a solo bike trip just because I knew almost nothing about the south 'burbs.

Interesting. What other south suburbs do you consider lesser known?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:57 AM

3,140 posts, read 1,590,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I guess most of them. The only ones that have really been on my radar screen for a long time are the close-in ones (Harvey, Calumet City, Blue Island, etc.), Monee, Park Forest, Markham, Sauk Village, and University Park. And I know Homewood/Flossmoor are considered reasonably well-known. Maybe that's just me, though.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I guess most of them. The only ones that have really been on my radar screen for a long time are the close-in ones (Harvey, Calumet City, Blue Island, etc.), Monee, Park Forest, Markham, Sauk Village, and University Park. And I know Homewood/Flossmoor are considered reasonably well-known. Maybe that's just me, though.
Could be. I think it probably works both ways depending which part of the Chicago area you're from though. I would think someone from Richton Park or South Holland, or even people from southwest suburbs might view north or west suburban towns like Prospect Heights, Winfield, Lake Bluff or Lincolnshire, which are probably pretty well known amongst people who live around them, in a similar light that people view pretty well known south or southwest suburbs amongst people who live around them.

I was curious about Olympia Fields because they're home to one of the few golf courses that has hosted multiple majors and you did just list a few that I thought are pretty well known outside of people from the south suburbs- Harvey, Calumet City, Blue Island, Homewood and Flossmoor. I would imagine Chicago Heights is fairly well known as well.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:50 AM

3,140 posts, read 1,590,515 times
Quote:
Could be. I think it probably works both ways depending which part of the Chicago area you're from though. I would think someone from Richton Park or South Holland, or even people from southwest suburbs might view north or west suburban towns like Prospect Heights, Winfield, Lake Bluff or Lincolnshire, which are probably pretty well known amongst people who live around them, in a similar light that people view pretty well known south or southwest suburbs amongst people who live around them.

I was curious about Olympia Fields because they're home to one of the few golf courses that has hosted multiple majors and you did just list a few that I thought are pretty well known outside of people from the south suburbs- Harvey, Calumet City, Blue Island, Homewood and Flossmoor. I would imagine Chicago Heights is fairly well known as well.
Yeah, our family never really explored that much, so most of the Chicago suburbs I've been to are places I've been myself. For most Oak Parkers, you go to Chicago, or maybe as far west as Elmhurst or Oak Brook, or you go across the country or across the world. I feel like we tend to have less "Chicagoland" identity than most people from the region and see ourselves as more cosmopolitan.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:33 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,562,319 times
Quote:
Midlothian- ( for some reason I always think of Meatloaf when I think of this town)

Crestwood ( name implies view from the crest of a hill overlooking woods, really a bunch of strip malls on flat Cicero Ave.)

Robbins-tiny and poorest suburb

Riverdale-Not where Archie or Veronica lived

Calumet Park-Not Calumet City

Palos Park-tiny wooded affluent

Manhattan-No skyscrapers in town

Hometown-not mine though

Burbank- Not the one in California

Worth- The friendly village

Old 08-02-2018, 11:41 PM

624 posts, read 775,091 times
Justice

Old 08-03-2018, 03:46 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,037,914 times
Merrionette Park and Ivanhoe.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:33 PM

1,199 posts, read 827,453 times
I read all of these itching to say these two, and nobody's mentioned them yet.

Keeneyville and Eola.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I read all of these itching to say these two, and nobody's mentioned them yet.

Keeneyville and Eola.
Nice. I was under the impression Eola was just a section of Aurora. Interesting though, Eola is an acryonym for End of Line, Aurora, and it primarily is home to a BNSF rail yard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eola,_Illinois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs