Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:34 PM

71 posts, read 332,517 times

Advertisements

Who here thinks that the tollroad has been a positive form of taxation?

I for one believe that it sucks. Weren't tolls supposed to be eliminated by now and all bonds paid for? I guess our state saw the high profit tolls were making. It's double taxation! Gas tax and vehicle registration taxes are supposed to fund our roads and highways.

By the way, our roads aren't the best in the world. Have you driven on them lately? Pot holes everywhere! It seems that our toll money goes to fund the reconstruction of new toll booths and the new Open Road Toll system. I have not seen any improvements on our interstates. I drive from Rockford to work in Downers Grove everyday, and the roads are in terrible condition.

Okay, maybe they do some construction on the roadways, but how long does it take to complete a project? I mean, for example, I-88 from seems to have been in construction since the time of it's existance.

My apologies to those employed by the tollsystem, as I know it's your bread and butter, but it has not seem to benefit us at all. Most of our road systems are outdated, although some interstates have been updated. But for the majority, work still needs to be done.

I wouldn't mind paying for tolls if they would at least do some good with the money. I mean, for example, we need a highway built that goes up through the Algonquin area and into Crystal lake as these towns are experiencing a rapid growth. I know that I probably might offend people here that want to maintain their "small town" way of life. But the reality of it is, there needs to be a highway constructed to have access to the far Northwest suburbs. Ever sat in traffice on Route 62 from Route 25 to Algonquin Road. I'm sorry, but something needs to be done to accomidate that heavy traffic.

Seems to me that most of our toll money is being put into the higher ups that run the toll system and all their luxuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:36 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerStocktonian View Post
Who here thinks that the tollroad has been a positive form of taxation?

I for one believe that it sucks. Weren't tolls supposed to be eliminated by now and all bonds paid for? I guess our state saw the high profit tolls were making. It's double taxation! Gas tax and vehicle registration taxes are supposed to fund our roads and highways.

By the way, our roads aren't the best in the world. Have you driven on them lately? Pot holes everywhere! It seems that our toll money goes to fund the reconstruction of new toll booths and the new Open Road Toll system. I have not seen any improvements on our interstates. I drive from Rockford to work in Downers Grove everyday, and the roads are in terrible condition.

Okay, maybe they do some construction on the roadways, but how long does it take to complete a project? I mean, for example, I-88 from seems to have been in construction since the time of it's existance.

My apologies to those employed by the tollsystem, as I know it's your bread and butter, but it has not seem to benefit us at all. Most of our road systems are outdated, although some interstates have been updated. But for the majority, work still needs to be done.

I wouldn't mind paying for tolls if they would at least do some good with the money. I mean, for example, we need a highway built that goes up through the Algonquin area and into Crystal lake as these towns are experiencing a rapid growth. I know that I probably might offend people here that want to maintain their "small town" way of life. But the reality of it is, there needs to be a highway constructed to have access to the far Northwest suburbs. Ever sat in traffice on Route 62 from Route 25 to Algonquin Road. I'm sorry, but something needs to be done to accomidate that heavy traffic.

Seems to me that most of our toll money is being put into the higher ups that run the toll system and all their luxuries.

I couldn't agree more. The roads here absolutely suck. To come back here from Florida, CA, or just about any other state is like taking a trip back in time in Doc Brown's time machine once you venture out of O'Hare and back onto Chicago Metro's 1950's road system. Its a joke.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 PM

Can you believe this? Read this article and see if it makes you just as mad as Iam.

Daily Herald | Taking a heavy toll

What really sucks is that the Tollway will not accept payment plans for violations because they are not interested. If this is not another reason to my point that the Tollway is greedy and interested in the high profits. It's not like they are losing money or in financial problems. Calculate the daily tolls collected on our highways. I mean that's alot of money, they can afford to take a loss because of an error on their part. It's rediculous! This was all their error anyway. They need to own up to their mistakes and help these people out. Reduce the violations and allow them a payment plan. The tollway has us by the throat and they know that. We depend on our highways and if we can't play by their rules, they will just revoke our drivers license. Something has got to be done about this.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:58 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,655 times
WOW -- that is outrageous.

we did, by the way, get that notice in the mail around Thanksgiving... I recall the amount being huge, but more in the 400 range .... DH made one phone call and it was settled.
We paid what was owed in tolls and the fines were taken off the "bill".

The system is so crooked its nauseating.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
WOW -- that is outrageous.

we did, by the way, get that notice in the mail around Thanksgiving... I recall the amount being huge, but more in the 400 range .... DH made one phone call and it was settled.
We paid what was owed in tolls and the fines were taken off the "bill".

The system is so crooked its nauseating.
I'm sorry you had to go through that. Yes, the system is crooked and corupt. I just don't understand since his was their error, why aren't they helping these people out?

Maybe this is an issue that needs to be brought down to Springfield. Better yet, use some of the funds from the tollway to support public transportation. The tollway seems to be sitting pretty while there are bus routes being taken away and increase fares. Just look at the conditions of our highways, I don't think they have been putting much money into our highways.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Although I agree the system is wrong and all the problems with it are ridiculous,I find it hard to believe this woman (in the article) did not know she had no money left on her I-Pass. Even if the state has a really flawed system(which it does), this woman obviously does not pay attention to her records and must never read her credit card statement.

How she could drive a whole year without remembering the last time she refilled her I-Pass is equally inexusable as the state not getting its affairs in order. Anyone that drives that much on toll roads would have to know their I-Pass ran out of money. I think she went through a few times, got no notice and said what the hell-I will keep doing it...

Do many people not write off tolls when driving to and from work off their taxes? Seems like the state AND some drivers are full of crap.

I get kinda cynical over some of these stories...

Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
,I find it hard to believe this woman (in the article) did not know she had no money left on her I-Pass. Even if the state has a really flawed system(which it does), this woman obviously does not pay attention to her records and must never read her credit card statement.
I actually thought that same thing when reading this article. I mean, I am forever checking the balance on my IPass account. A year is a little too long not to notice the deduction from your credit card statement. Maybe she never reads her monthly credit card billing statements, which is scary.

But, then again, the tollway system had errors on their part was well and didn't send any notice for a year. This is where the toll authority becomes corrupt because they let the fines pile up until it become an ubsurd amount of money and then won't allow you to make payments on them.

So I guess in this case, both parties are at fault. My fear is that they will have some system error where it won't even read my IPass and them saying I have violations when I know that there is money on my account. Although open road tolling is very convenient, it can be scary as well, especially when it comes to the possibility of having your driving privilages taken away.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:56 AM

101 posts, read 386,093 times
The tollway system is a terrible joke.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLUTZ View Post
The tollway system is a terrible joke.
My point exactly. The amount of revenue it receives per day is incredible. Just wait until the tollway system is sold to a private investor. The plan was to create the open road tolling to make the tollway system attractive to prospect buyers, from other countries at that. We all know what will happen once the tollway is sold to the private investor. Increase in tolls yet again.

Where is the money going to? Why isn't the state overseeing the financial budget of the tollway? I guess I'll answer my own questions. Politics and corrupation, as usual in the state of Illinois.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:17 AM

281 posts, read 928,103 times
I love the toll roads and I use them constantly. The construction zones can be annoying, but that's because they are constantly improving it. States with only freeway systems pay for it with higher taxes. Gas taxes cover less than half, the rest comes from the taxpayers. Traffic on the tollways moves much faster than the freeways due to the fewer on/off-ramps and the cheapskates who refuse to pay 40c to get someplace an hour sooner. I-Pass is the greatest. It automatically takes a modest amount off my credit card and keeps me going. I think some people just enjoy complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs