Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 07:48 AM

768 posts, read 1,103,034 times

Advertisements

I am a craft beer drinker and don't smoke anything - i say legalize and tax it. Its inevitably going to happen and if not in IL than in IN or MI or WI - good luck with any local laws here at that point... I also think first Midwest state will make a ton of tax rev (from both tourism+residents just like CO) at least until other nearby states follow and introduce competition... just my 2 centz...

PS: If you don't think neighbor states matter - just look at our gun laws here and how we are flooded from IN... Maybe our turn to make some $$$

Last edited by JJski; 04-01-2017 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 06:13 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,100 times
Highest estimate I saw for tax revenue was 1.1 Billion a year which would put a dent into the budget crisis.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:25 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Highest estimate I saw for tax revenue was 1.1 Billion a year which would put a dent into the budget crisis.
You forget what state you are in. What's more likely is they would create the equivalent of a state version of a 'TIF' and nobody would see a dime(!)

Old 04-03-2017, 08:50 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
You forget what state you are in. What's more likely is they would create the equivalent of a state version of a 'TIF' and nobody would see a dime(!)
Almost too much money to steal...

Honestly I would legalize it and set a tax goal of $3.5 billion which would fix the whole in the budget. It would be the only game in town, even though MJ smokers would be getting soaked it would really be a huge fix for the budget.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:55 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Almost too much money to steal...

Honestly I would legalize it and set a tax goal of $3.5 billion which would fix the whole in the budget. It would be the only game in town, even though MJ smokers would be getting soaked it would really be a huge fix for the budget.
I agree. This allows us to minimize budget shortfalls all while avoiding unnecessary tax increases on non-users. Would also be a boost to tourism and possibly decrease the drug-related killings we see on the south and west sides. If people can legally buy and sell weed at a store, it may even reduce the number of people using more serious drugs.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:06 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I basically like the idea of decriminalization of marijuana in principle because it has theoretical appeal in the ways that IrishIllini lists -- those things are consistent with the arguments offered by Libertarians.

Unfortunately we have plenty of REAL WORLD data that suggest the picture would NOT end up as one would hope for. The gangs that depend on weed would rapidly shift toward more portable and potent substances as well as following the lead of the old Outfit that shifted from being "rum runners" to getting into the "protection racket" that was a bald faced exploitation of the inability of police to respond to criminal property damage and violence 10 Diabolically Creative Mob Crimes - Listverse The lag that already exists amongst Chicago PD and Illinois State Police in investing / punishing crimes would make our fair city especially easy for MASSIVE numbers of heists of the cash businesses selling dope, the burning out of their places of businesses that surely would not be in high rent areas, and the ruthless execution of anyone that foolishly tried to 'stand up' to bangers with nothing to lose...

There is also disturbing evidence the combination of reduced numbers of law enforcement officers tasked with simple traffic enforcement has lead to increases in fatalities due to everything from impaired driving, increased speeds, more texting, and less legitimately licensed drivers, do we need more ways for folks to be stoned behind the wheel? Estimated 2016 Road Deaths Climb 6% - News - Business Fleet

Most disturbingly, despite the fact that it remains illegal, the data from Colorado shows more youth use of dope. This is no surprise, as the illegal use of things ranging from adderall to painkillers prescribed to parents or even kids themselves has risen, but given the low performance of Illinois youth in school do we really want to create more stoners? https://www.ncadd.org/blogs/in-the-n...e-legalization

Finally, the pathetic history of other efforts to put cash in the state's insatiable coffers like the Lottery and Riverboat gaming has shown that these things are massive negatives for the underclass and quite literally make folks most susceptible to such addictions the primary target of efforts to extract more revenue from these at-risk populations. Given the deplorable situation that exists for Chicago and Illinois poorest residents weed will make their plight worse; the myth of folks in high performing careers craving a drug is flued by the most craven sickos who would gladly throw away the tiny chance kids born to the underprivileged to ever climb out of their miserable circumstances. Disturbing Facts About State Lotteries: They Prey on the Poor and Trash the Economy, and Political Leaders Don't Care (Hard Times USA) | Alternet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs