Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:40 PM

13 posts, read 67,571 times

Advertisements

I am a 36 yr old African American male. I am recently married and recently was hired for a job in the south suburbs of Chicago. In seaching for a place to live, I was very dissappointed with the lack of diversity in many of the southern suburbs. Orland Park, for example is a very nice suburb with the type of housing that I would like. However, it's nearly 100% caucasian. Similarly, Flossmoor and Homewood are nice suburbs with nice housing. However, they seem to be trending towrds becoming all Black (white-flight). I grew up in Hyde Park in Chicago, in a diverse pleasant community. I am hoping to have children soon and provide them with a similar childhood in the south suburbs. Is there any advice on this, or is this a hopeless cause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 02:54 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Just because you're black doesn't mean you won't get along we with the neighbors in Orland Park. Just keep up your lawn, keep your house tidy, and don't create a rukus and you will be fine. I for one would have no problem with a black family living next to me as long as they were up standing individuals and not adding to the decay of modern society by bringing up some gang banger kids as I see happen time and time again. If you are a good neighbor you will have good neighbors. While yes Orland is mostly white, there are plenty of Arabian families that have moved into the area who keep to themselves, mow their lawns, trim their bushes, keep the house in good order and what do you know... Nobody bothers them! In fact some people have made friends with them. Just be a good neighbor and you will be fine in Orland. You may have to be the first to wave hello to your new neighbors, but so what. Once that ice is broken, then you can break down the racial barrier and make new friends.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:07 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwest610 View Post
I am a 36 yr old African American male. I am recently married and recently was hired for a job in the south suburbs of Chicago. In seaching for a place to live, I was very dissappointed with the lack of diversity in many of the southern suburbs. Orland Park, for example is a very nice suburb with the type of housing that I would like. However, it's nearly 100% caucasian. Similarly, Flossmoor and Homewood are nice suburbs with nice housing. However, they seem to be trending towrds becoming all Black (white-flight). I grew up in Hyde Park in Chicago, in a diverse pleasant community. I am hoping to have children soon and provide them with a similar childhood in the south suburbs. Is there any advice on this, or is this a hopeless cause?
This is just my opinion, but I think it is a hopeless cause. If you move to a diverse area you risk it becoming like Harvey or Calumet City (two high crime southern suburbs) or, at the very least, being viewed like one of those towns. If you move to a predominantly white area, you will constantly have to prove that you are a "good" black family. Every move you make will be scrutinized. Your family's behavior will have to be exemplary, lest you be seen as "ghetto". You must be an ambassador for the black race.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Just because you're black doesn't mean you won't get along we with the neighbors in Orland Park. Just keep up your lawn, keep your house tidy, and don't create a rukus and you will be fine. I for one would have no problem with a black family living next to me as long as they were up standing individuals and not adding to the decay of modern society by bringing up some gang banger kids as I see happen time and time again. If you are a good neighbor you will have good neighbors. While yes Orland is mostly white, there are plenty of Arabian families that have moved into the area who keep to themselves, mow their lawns, trim their bushes, keep the house in good order and what do you know... Nobody bothers them! In fact some people have made friends with them. Just be a good neighbor and you will be fine in Orland. You may have to be the first to wave hello to your new neighbors, but so what. Once that ice is broken, then you can break down the racial barrier and make new friends.
NY: I wasn't questioning whether I'd get along with any of my neighbors. I'll be the best neighbor, regardless of where I reside. My yard will be perfect and my children won't be gang-bangers (can anyone say race-baiting?) You've missed the point of my question...

What I'm looking for is a DIVERSE community, with people who would welcome anyone regardless of background. Your post is exactly what I'm NOT looking for. I'd like neighbors who would be as willing to wave first as I would be, using your analogy. I actually want neighbors who would "bother" me (in a nice way). I'd like to have neighbors of all backgrounds to have as occassional golf partners or have over for dinner. This may be a idealistic but I dont care. This is the envirnment that I want for my self and my family.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
This is just my opinion, but I think it is a hopeless cause. If you move to a diverse area you risk it becoming like Harvey or Calumet City (two high crime southern suburbs) or, at the very least, being viewed like one of those towns. If you move to a predominantly white area, you will constantly have to prove that you are a "good" black family. Every move you make will be scrutinized. Your family's behavior will have to be exemplary, lest you be seen as "ghetto". You must be an ambassador for the black race.
Skye: Certainly, I understand your point of view. I respectfully hope that youre wrong. However, you point out exactly my fears in moving to an all white suburb like Orland Park. There could be nothing more traumatic to my family than to live in an area where we just exist there but have no interaction with the community as a whole because we are of a different race.
I am very disappointed in the lack of importance that people place on diversity. Had some of the people who participate in white flight been exposed to a more diverse culture, they probably wouldnt cling to stereotypes and instead would place a premium on diversity...

Old 03-06-2008, 04:07 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,611 times
If diversity is a top priority for you, your best bet may be to try to purchase something in Hyde Park since you already know the area. Do you HAVE to live in the suburbs? Does it necessarily have to be a house? I mean, I don't know your financial situation but if you can afford a house in Orland Park, its possible you could find at least a nice townhouse in Hyde Park. You just gotta weigh your options. Skye made some really valid points.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:19 PM

162 posts, read 803,249 times
H-F is about as close you will get to diverse, in the South Suburbs - or elsewhere for that matter. And H-F has become diverse so rapidly, it seems as it will not be diverse in another 5-7 years, unless housing doesn't recover.

How far south are you working?

I know you are familiar with the South Side, but have you considered staying in the city and commuting? The South Loop is very diverse also, and very close to the Ryan and the commute south, even during rush hour is easy, but gas is painful.

Truthfully, any suburb that is diverse now, will most likely not be in the next 5-10 years. Maybe I am wrong, but looking at the past, it seems to repeat itself over and over for some valid reasons and other not so valid reasons.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
If diversity is a top priority for you, your best bet may be to try to purchase something in Hyde Park since you already know the area. Do you HAVE to live in the suburbs? Does it necessarily have to be a house? I mean, I don't know your financial situation but if you can afford a house in Orland Park, its possible you could find at least a nice townhouse in Hyde Park. You just gotta weigh your options. Skye made some really valid points.

ParkerP: While I enjoy Hyde Park, I don't enjoy it enough to take a 45 minute commute everyday. Besides, I'd like a house with a large yard, maybe a swimming pool, near lots of forest preserves. In short, I'd like a quiet suburban life. I'm not interested in living in the city anymore. Certainly, I was hoping to find a nice diverse community that has those suburban attributes. Given the tone of the responses, I may be too idealistic, at least for Chicago. It's depressing...

Old 03-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vester72 View Post
H-F is about as close you will get to diverse, in the South Suburbs - or elsewhere for that matter. And H-F has become diverse so rapidly, it seems as it will not be diverse in another 5-7 years, unless housing doesn't recover.

How far south are you working?

I know you are familiar with the South Side, but have you considered staying in the city and commuting? The South Loop is very diverse also, and very close to the Ryan and the commute south, even during rush hour is easy, but gas is painful.

Truthfully, any suburb that is diverse now, will most likely not be in the next 5-10 years. Maybe I am wrong, but looking at the past, it seems to repeat itself over and over for some valid reasons and other not so valid reasons.
Certainly, that is my concern about HF. Given White flight patterns, it'll be all Black in 5 years. Using that logic, then, I should actually be encouraged about places like Orland Park. Right now, it's almost exclusively white. But in 10-15 years, it'll start to be more diverse. In 20-30 years, it'll be all Black too... Whatever the case is, it's a sad commentary on Chicago suburban mentality...

Old 03-06-2008, 05:23 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwest610 View Post
Certainly, that is my concern about HF. Given White flight patterns, it'll be all Black in 5 years. Using that logic, then, I should actually be encouraged about places like Orland Park. Right now, it's almost exclusively white. But in 10-15 years, it'll start to be more diverse. In 20-30 years, it'll be all Black too... Whatever the case is, it's a sad commentary on Chicago suburban mentality...
I think largely depends on the people moving in. "White flight" unfortunately has historically had some rational basis. It's not like the whites in Area X go "eeeek a black, let's go!" Usually, bad things start happening -- loud music and parties, disrespect for the neighbors, petty crimes, etc. Then it starts a cycle and everyone else gets scared and doesn't want to be the last white face on the block. Then property values fall down go boom and the place becomes a nasty sewer of crime, drugs and misery. I'm paraphrasing here but that's generally how it's gone.

If you're educated and respectful, I can't see there being a problem honestly. Orland Park is affluent and many of the people who will be your neighbors will have never interacted with a person of color in any meaningful way. They may be curious and welcome you. Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs