U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 PM

7 posts, read 7,042 times

Advertisements

I went there myself (just graduated from college). Almost 80% of my Chem-Phys class got accepted to Ivy League, Stanford, MIT and of course Northwestern and UChicago. The rest got accepted to only UVA, Michigan or other big state schools. It's certainly a diverse school, where it felt like a mini-America. You've got kids where they fly First Class to Europe all the time, and you also get kids who are homeless. Great for preparing myself for society, I'd say, because you get to interact with people from different backgrounds at such a young age. If you wanna succeed, ETHS has the sufficient resources to help you get there. It's a great school!

Last edited by ckpckp1994; 04-24-2017 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 624 times
Default Thanks for this thread

I have an 8th grader at Haven and I've been searching the Internet trying to figure out if we were going to send him to ETHS. We moved to Evanston in 2016 (relocated from another state) and when I researched the school district it came up fairly high. His prior school was in the top 25th percentile in the nation. My husband's job required him to live in Cook County (which made my first choice of Naperville null). I wanted to live close to the lake plus have a school with a diverse population. We are Black, advanced-degree, high-income earners and his prior schools (elementary and middle) were at least 80% White (there is NOTHING wrong with this-we just wanted a little more diversity).

All of a sudden this year (2017) ETHS is no longer ranked (statewide or nationally). We both work ALOT and I must admit that we are not "in-tuned" with other parents and thus I have no insight into what other upper-middle class families are doing. I've started the process of enrolling in CPS with the hope of getting into a selective enrollment high school. He takes the test in January and has scored well enough on Evanston's MAP test to get into one of them.

I am still concerned as to what is happening at ETHS that is causing the decline. Honestly, is it the high minority/poverty level? I want to send him there, but it's more important that he gets prepared for college. I am also concerned about his safety (are there a lot of gangs??) His dream is to go to MIT.

Thanks for this thread as it has alleviated some of our concerns about ETHS.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:38 PM

15,140 posts, read 16,497,351 times
If he wants to go to MIT and is in the chem-phys program at ETHS, he should be fine.

US News and World Report did not rank them, but....

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2017/0...hool-rankings/

Quote:
Though still the top ranked high school on the North Shore, Evanston Township High School slipped to 22nd place in Illinois and 746th in the nation, according to The Washington Post’s annual “America’s Most Challenging High Schools” list.
Quote:
The Post also includes each school’s Equity and Excellence rate, the percentage of all graduating seniors who had at least one score of 3 or higher on an AP exam during high school, the news release said. The E&E rate, though not used to rank schools, was 50 percent for ETHS based on 2016 data — more than double the national rate.
Here are the Niche rankings for 2018
https://www.niche.com/k12/evanston-t...n-il/rankings/

Old 11-26-2017, 01:00 PM

2,457 posts, read 1,321,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye_P View Post
I have an 8th grader at Haven and I've been searching the Internet trying to figure out if we were going to send him to ETHS. We moved to Evanston in 2016 (relocated from another state) and when I researched the school district it came up fairly high. His prior school was in the top 25th percentile in the nation. My husband's job required him to live in Cook County (which made my first choice of Naperville null). I wanted to live close to the lake plus have a school with a diverse population. We are Black, advanced-degree, high-income earners and his prior schools (elementary and middle) were at least 80% White (there is NOTHING wrong with this-we just wanted a little more diversity).

All of a sudden this year (2017) ETHS is no longer ranked (statewide or nationally). We both work ALOT and I must admit that we are not "in-tuned" with other parents and thus I have no insight into what other upper-middle class families are doing. I've started the process of enrolling in CPS with the hope of getting into a selective enrollment high school. He takes the test in January and has scored well enough on Evanston's MAP test to get into one of them.

I am still concerned as to what is happening at ETHS that is causing the decline. Honestly, is it the high minority/poverty level? I want to send him there, but it's more important that he gets prepared for college. I am also concerned about his safety (are there a lot of gangs??) His dream is to go to MIT.

Donít use annual swings in rankings as a litmus test. Year to year good schools can drop off for dumb reasons, often focused around test results not being available, etc.

I would think carefully before moving to Chicago just to enroll in a selective enrollment school. Evanston checks a lot of your boxes already.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:15 PM

15,140 posts, read 16,497,351 times
Quote:

No, there are not a lot of gangs, but there are some. It tends not to be inside the school.

Anecdote from a while ago when my son graduated. He was in the chem-phys program and always thought he was not doing that well until he went to college and realized what a great education he got there. He was tutoring valedictorians from other schools in math, physics and chemistry at Washington at St. Louis. He just lately returned for the reunion of chem phys teachers and students. Some of his classmates are currently working for google. They are updating the engineering classroom for this year.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:28 AM

453 posts, read 231,644 times
Quote:

I have a hard time taking this post seriously for a number of reasons. Reaching out to your neighbors, and fellow parents will give you a better perspective than asking the people on this web forum. Almost all of the arbitrary and algorithmic school rankings aren't even worth the bandwidth required to view them.

Just to reiterate, all socio-economic cohorts in Evanston overwhelmingly send their children to the local public schools. Anecdotally, when I was in private school, most of the families that lived in Evanston transitioned their children from private school to ETHS once their children reached high school age, because of ETHS's strong reputation and academic and extracurricular resources. ETHS is extremely well-funded, and has a well-qualified faculty supported by talented students and engaged parents.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:20 PM

237 posts, read 181,525 times
Quote:
I have an 8th grader at Haven and I've been searching the Internet trying to figure out if we were going to send him to ETHS. ..

... His dream is to go to MIT.

I would highly urge you to look at IMSA. It is a math and science academy, very highly rated, and a very good launch pad for something like MIT. I will admit i say this only based on my personal research but I have heard some pretty incredible things, especially if one's children are really keen on getting into top notch programs like MIT. A big caveat is that it is a residential program.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:53 PM

193 posts, read 290,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
I would highly urge you to look at IMSA. It is a math and science academy, very highly rated, and a very good launch pad for something like MIT. I will admit i say this only based on my personal research but I have heard some pretty incredible things, especially if one's children are really keen on getting into top notch programs like MIT. A big caveat is that it is a residential program.
For one thing, IMSA is highly selective. Almost nobody can count on being admitted. It's unwise to move into a school district you're unhappy with because you cavalierly assume you can waltz right into IMSA.

The residential program is mandatory. It is also one of the biggest problems with the Academy. One of the main benefits of conventional high schools is socialization. This is important not only for its own sake, but for career success. Conventional high schools are good for learning to interact with a wide variety of people. IMSA is deficient in this area. While there is cultural and gender diversity, there is not enough diversity in how people are. The typical personality type and outlook on life is roughly what you'd expect for a STEM-focused school. There are exceptions, but they are often fleeing bad home lives or abysmal local schools. Overall, IMSA has a strong personality which you need to fit into to be socially accepted. I've observed a pattern of IMSA alumni often hanging out mostly with each other in college and even marrying each other.

You might think this is fine if you're dead set on MIT, the technology industry, academia, or similar environments. But many people's career goals change from what they were in 8th or 9th grade. Nobody should limit their options that early in life. Also, nowadays, even STEM fields are not that interested in people who have the necessary hard skills but don't fit in with their coworkers.

Even looking solely at academics, when looking at courses that a traditional high school would offer, it's unclear that IMSA is actually preferable to the upper tier of Chicagoland public high schools (including ETHS). It cannot be overemphasized that IMSA is a "teaching and learning laboratory". This means that some classes apply experimental teaching techniques which have not yet passed the test of time. You could be the one of the first students to benefit from a cutting-edge teaching technique. Alternatively, you might not learn as much as you would have if the teaching technique turns out to be a dud. That said, IMSA does offer highly specialized electives which you might not find in high schools which have excellent academics but which don't specialize in STEM.

Personally, in most cases, I wouldn't recommend IMSA to someone who automatically gets to attend Evanston Township. In my opinion, any possible academic advantage is outweighed by the disadvantages noted above.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:44 AM

589 posts, read 336,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...gh-school-6729

https://www.niche.com/k12/evanston-t...l-evanston-il/

You can also look at the Illinois Report Card

Great schools does not really mean much.

I will say that even back when my kids were in school, there were people complaining about ETHS. My kids got a fantastic education there. My son's class included the grandson of the physicist Edward Teller, so his parents were certainly satisfied. His older brother also went to ETHS and is Astro Teller, the captain of Moonshots. My son is a chemical engineer and credits the phys/chem program at ETHS for a lot of his success. My daughter is a theater techie and her teachers at ETHS got her into Carnegie Mellon's theater program.

Obviously, it may be different now to an extent, but I think it still competes well with New Trier.

https://patch.com/illinois/lakefores...news-2016-list

I suspect people who don't want to use a public school like ETHS just don't want to mingle with the poorer segment of ETHS's population because academically, the school is damn good.
Agree. If you have academically gifted kids, you want to focus on the the highest level of academics that a school offers. ETHS offers elite education at the top tier. So many people get caught up in average test scores as a reflection of educational quality But, if you have really smart kid and the school has the resources to educate that kid, why would it matter if there are kids who aren't as advanced academically at the same school. I actually respect schools like ETHS that have to cater to a bigger academic cross-section of students.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:19 PM

237 posts, read 181,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmEverywhere View Post

The residential program is mandatory. It is also one of the biggest problems with the Academy. One of the main benefits of conventional high schools is socialization. This is important not only for its own sake, but for career success. Conventional high schools are good for learning to interact with a wide variety of people. IMSA is deficient in this area. While there is cultural and gender diversity, there is not enough diversity in how people are. The typical personality type and outlook on life is roughly what you'd expect for a STEM-focused school. There are exceptions, but they are often fleeing bad home lives or abysmal local schools. Overall, IMSA has a strong personality which you need to fit into to be socially accepted. I've observed a pattern of IMSA alumni often hanging out mostly with each other in college and even marrying each other.
Very interesting perspective. Thanks! Does give me a lot of things to think about too.

I was directly responding to OP's point about their kid wanting to go to MIT. And I was taking that at face value, not questioning the need to go to MIT. If IMSA is considered selective, then MIT by any reckoning is a good deal more selective.

You're basically saying that IMSA is an extremely geeky school. Fair enough. Again, MIT is far geekier and far more demanding intellectually and creatively. The bar is just so incredibly high, and to be honest, I haven't been to MIT but I say this from what I hear from everyone else. There are other colleges and there is MIT - there are probably other colleges with equally high bar but I am talking in a generic way.

Fact of the matter is, many of your silicon valley startups, the Googles and Facebooks and TwoSigmas of the world, are equally geeky and equally have their strong personalities. It is a hard choice - do you choose to go all-in on a geeky education and career, or do you go for a well rounded education?

Don't think there is a right or wrong answer, just the right answer for each individual that makes sense to them. Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or