Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:29 PM

768 posts, read 1,097,903 times

Advertisements

make sure to negotiate a COL adjustment 1x bonus + salary bump... must employers are aware of the significant $$$ increase to live here and do accommodate... good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 01:38 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,224,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitnolonger View Post
Thanks everyone for the insight. I don't really have a specific number yet as far as affordability goes. My salary is still a bit of a question mark at this point, and I come from a much lower COL area and am suffering from major sticker shock (of course!) You all have helped me narrow my focus a little so I very much appreciate the help!
Yikes. Shouldn't you know salary by now? Usually when you get the 'relocation' info, that comes with the territory. Or is this literally a few days ago(?)

Old 05-02-2017, 09:52 AM

25 posts, read 20,038 times
How does everyone feel about Palatine? Is it a good place to live? We have a small daughter who will be 2 when we move later this year so she will still be in daycare for a few more years.

So far our list is palatine, lake zurich, deer park...#1 factor is affordability. We would like to pay as little as possible for renting a 2BR while it not being located in a total crappy location. Suggestions please.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner4life1984 View Post
How does everyone feel about Palatine? Is it a good place to live? We have a small daughter who will be 2 when we move later this year so she will still be in daycare for a few more years.

So far our list is palatine, lake zurich, deer park...#1 factor is affordability. We would like to pay as little as possible for renting a 2BR while it not being located in a total crappy location. Suggestions please.
If you are renting and not buying yet (into a particular school district), it's fine. Palatine would not be my first choice for public schools though. There are some very nice apartment complexes there however.

LZ would be my choice since I like the area more (parks/open space).

Old 05-02-2017, 10:32 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,353,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
If you are renting and not buying yet (into a particular school district), it's fine. Palatine would not be my first choice for public schools though. There are some very nice apartment complexes there however.

LZ would be my choice since I like the area more (parks/open space).
IMO Palatine's Fremd public high school is a far better program than Lake Zurich public high school, though LZ is ok.

Also, Schaumburg public schools are well-regarded, not sure why posters here are saying otherwise.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-02-2017 at 10:44 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner4life1984 View Post

Also look into the areas of LZ/Deer Park that feed into Stevenson district.

Look at the northwestern edge of Hoffman Estates that feeds into Barrington schools.

The most affordable housing around with good schools is the eastern side of Carpentersville that feeds into Barrington schools, but may be a "total crappy location."

Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
IMO Palatine's Fremd public high school is a far better program than Lake Zurich public high school, though LZ is ok.
Agreed, but since we don't know the children's ages yet, it's hard to specify a HS. Probably worth mentioning to the OP that the way school boundaries are sliced up here can be complicated sometimes

Old 05-02-2017, 04:03 PM

190 posts, read 403,987 times
I have to beg to differ in that LZ schools are just "ok", They are actually great schools. I do live in LZ and my kids are in dist 95. In fact we have many families who move here specifically from Stevenson to go to LZ schools (probably a shocker for some of you).

The Lake Zurich, Kildeer, Deer Park area is beautiful and has a lot to offer. Very safe and involved community. Tons of shopping, etc.wonderful park district and library. You can;t go wrong here.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoRE View Post
I have to beg to differ in that LZ schools are just "ok", They are actually great schools. I do live in LZ and my kids are in dist 95. In fact we have many families who move here specifically from Stevenson to go to LZ schools (probably a shocker for some of you).

The Lake Zurich, Kildeer, Deer Park area is beautiful and has a lot to offer. Very safe and involved community. Tons of shopping, etc.wonderful park district and library. You can;t go wrong here.
Thus far, the specific reference was to LZ HS, not the other schools in LZ. Stevenson is generally considered to be a better Hs though. More of the top performing K-8 schools feed into Stevenson HS, however. Lincolnshire-Prairieview sort of ruins the curve for everyone

Old 05-03-2017, 08:06 AM

Yes, I was just thinking of high schools when I posted (my bad). However, I just looked up test scores/rankings, etc. for Lake Zurich school district and these stats have really improved since I last looked (several years ago when I was considering moving there). I also know it's a great family-friendly area, with lots of amenities, etc...

When I looked at the high school some time ago they did not have the breadth of courses or number of college prep honors/AP courses as the other high schools mentioned here -Stevenson, Fremd, Hersey, Barrington, Schaumburg... But maybe that has changed? That was the reason I took Lake Zürich off my list - number of high school advanced courses is important to us. Others will evaluate schools differently for what best meets their student needs.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-03-2017 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs