Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 11:35 AM

748 posts, read 823,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago0311 View Post
Can someone explain to me why elmhurst is so much more expensive than glen ellyn?
Elmhurst is also much, much closer to O'Hare. There are lots of consultants who need to be in the city for work, and fly often. Elmhurst is the perfect location for those two things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 11:47 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,804,563 times
Naperville to Bensenville is over 20 miles. Not exactly a great commute. Quite far.

You may want to consider a town like Bloomingdale or Roselle. Both are very close and have decent reputations. Schools are solid...not at the level of top tier suburbs, but plenty fine.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,324,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago0311 View Post
Can someone explain to me why elmhurst is so much more expensive than glen ellyn?
It's not. Median home prices in Glen Ellyn (the incorporated town, addresses north of Roosevelt) are nearly identical to those in Elmhurst. And the high end of property values may actually be higher in Glen Ellyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
311, Its all about proximity and easy access to big city... the closer you get to chicago and/or a station in a nice (great schools, vibrant and built up downtown, family friendly, safe, historic, etc...) town - the higher the price tag...

Elmhurst is ((considered)) to be much closer than GE - minutes matter... Both towns are still highly desirable...
I think this idea falls flat with Glen Ellyn/Elmhurst comparison.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:16 PM

6 posts, read 9,158 times
I think we have narrowed it down to Elmhurst, Arlington Heights, Glen Ellyn and Wheaton... the challenge is now to find a home that doesn't need a ton of work.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 9,158 times
We found out that my husband won't have to be in Bensenville everyday so we can look at a little longer commute. Thoughts on the Lake Zurich and Hawthorn Woods area??? Seems like the houses there are on bigger lots and we can get an updated house for less than the other suburbs we are looking at. What are the pros and cons??? We are flying in next weekend and have to narrow down the areas of interest for my realtor.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:55 AM

748 posts, read 823,158 times
You'll probably get more for your dollar in Lake Zurich, and the schools are pretty solid as well. It could be a rough commute when it needs to be done - as airport traffic and into the city traffic could make the commute over an hour, with ease.

You could also look to northern Downers Grove or even parts of Naperville (that aren't nearby the train) and get decent value for $450K.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:53 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
The downsides to Hawthorn Woods or Lake Zurich are mostly related to the shifts in what sorts of communities are favored -- big spread out developments with no access to Metra, necessity of driving for pretty much any kind of shopping or activity and no real "core" are negatives to most buyers today.

The relative school quality of LZ high is generally not perceived to be desirable at Stevenson or Libertyville and the tax burden as a total rate / percentage of home value is larger too...

Even if you do not anticipate needing Metra for your current employment related commute I would strongly consider the pluses of such an option for whatever shifts in work situation come up as well as the trend for future resale -- Illinois is seeing an extreme consolidation of jobs away from rural areas and suburban office campuses into the Loop and adjacent areas. That trend, along with negative effects of Illinois fiscal mess will likely depress housing prices for towns that are not convenient to Metra...

Old 05-19-2017, 10:07 AM

3,468 posts, read 2,138,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
It's not. Median home prices in Glen Ellyn (the incorporated town, addresses north of Roosevelt) are nearly identical to those in Elmhurst. And the high end of property values may actually be higher in Glen Ellyn.

I think this idea falls flat with Glen Ellyn/Elmhurst comparison.
Elmhurst is more expensive when comparing core Elmhurst (south of North Avenue to north of St Charles Rd) to core Glen Ellyn (north of Roosevelt Rd). Also, you can't just look at median home prices. Need to look at median $/square foot as well. Definitely lower $/square foot in core Glen Ellyn than core Elmhurst. Don't get me wrong, both are very nice towns and expensive but there is definitely a higher premium to getting into core Elmhurst compared to core Glen Ellyn.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:28 AM

768 posts, read 1,092,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Elmhurst is more expensive when comparing core Elmhurst (south of North Avenue to north of St Charles Rd) to core Glen Ellyn (north of Roosevelt Rd). Also, you can't just look at median home prices. Need to look at median $/square foot as well. Definitely lower $/square foot in core Glen Ellyn than core Elmhurst. Don't get me wrong, both are very nice towns and expensive but there is definitely a higher premium to getting into core Elmhurst compared to core Glen Ellyn.
Thank you for doing the homework i was too lazy to do... i get into my area bubbles and think hyper core locations - hence why in my head hinsdale is generally 1m+++ to get a place... in my happy perfect real estate world starbucks had to be within a half mile along with the station...

Old 05-19-2017, 10:41 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,197,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khgibson79 View Post
We found out that my husband won't have to be in Bensenville everyday so we can look at a little longer commute. Thoughts on the Lake Zurich and Hawthorn Woods area??? Seems like the houses there are on bigger lots and we can get an updated house for less than the other suburbs we are looking at. What are the pros and cons??? We are flying in next weekend and have to narrow down the areas of interest for my realtor.
Both LZ and HW are quite nice. You can feel very secluded in many of the various subdivisions/neighborhoods, and that's not even on the larger properties sometimes.

Make certain you find out which high school boundary you fall under too, if that's important down the road. Some parts of LZ fall under Stevenson HS, others LZ HS. HW is split between LZ, Stevenson and Mundelein HSs. Close family friends left a home in the part of HW zoned to Stevenson HS for another in HW which sent their kids to Mundelein, a smaller HS.

Last edited by damba; 05-19-2017 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs