U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 06:35 AM

6 posts, read 8,248 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job in Bensenville and we will be relocating from the Albany, NY area within the next month or so. I have never been to The Chicago area and I'm overwhelmed by all the different suburbs.
We have 2 children ages 10 & 12 so schools are very important. My husband would love a 45 minute or less commute if possible. I would like an area that has great parks and outdoor activities but is also close to shopping. My husband loves to play soccer and is in an adult league, so we want to have lots of extracurricular activities available. Our budget is around $450,000. Would appreciate suggestions to help narrow down my search!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 AM

768 posts, read 1,002,867 times
Easy - elmhurst...

Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 AM

28,460 posts, read 81,496,424 times
Elmhurst would be a good choice -- it has most of the qualities you want and is adjacent to Bensenville. Depending on where the exact work location is and what sort of home you could find in your price range commute should be very tolerable -- maybe under 15 minutes and even if things are on opposite ends of the respective towns still far below 45 mins...

The homes available in Elmhurst in your budget might be an issue. Other towns that have some of the nice features of Elmhurst but at a lower price point include Lombard and Villa Park, both are considered a set down in terms of schools and such...

You might consider Bensenville itself, housing dollars do go farther there, but its schools are not as well regarded. Other towns like Wooddale and Itasca have similar trade-offs.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:09 AM

2,491 posts, read 1,855,021 times
The nicest towns within about 20 minutes of Bensenville are Elmhurst (directly south), Mount Prospect, and Park Ridge. You won't get a huge place, but you can likely find a 3 bed, 2 bath house with a fair amount of updates. Given that your husband doesn't need to worry about the Metra, it may be easier to find something in these towns away from the Metra station as there's usually a price decrease as you get further from the train station.

As others have mentioned Bensenville itself, Villa Park and Lombard which will allow you to get more house for your money, but the schools don't have as good of a reputation. Lombard has some good elementary schools, but quality drops off a little for high school.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:19 AM

527 posts, read 556,374 times
Another vote for Elmhurst and Park Ridge.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:46 AM

4,126 posts, read 7,380,288 times
I would vote for Elmhurst. I like Park Ridge but going around the airport for a commute is not my cup of tea.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:49 AM

4,011 posts, read 3,747,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khgibson79 View Post
My husband has accepted a job in Bensenville and we will be relocating from the Albany, NY area within the next month or so. I have never been to The Chicago area and I'm overwhelmed by all the different suburbs.
We have 2 children ages 10 & 12 so schools are very important. My husband would love a 45 minute or less commute if possible. I would like an area that has great parks and outdoor activities but is also close to shopping. My husband loves to play soccer and is in an adult league, so we want to have lots of extracurricular activities available. Our budget is around $450,000. Would appreciate suggestions to help narrow down my search!
Wheaton or Mt Prospect. Mt Prospect would be a straight shot down 83 to bensenville in the mornings. Just avoid the parts of Mt Prospect that feed into Wheeling HS if possible, you can do better elsewhere for the same tax $.

FWIW, back in the day I used to play adult soccer in Arlington Hts (outdoor), and at the Odeum (indoor) in Villa Park. There are plenty of other soccer options available for your SO once you guys get settled.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:01 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,182,773 times
Wheaton will yield many more homes at $450k than Elmhurst -- without sacrificing schools, amenities or charm. Wheaton is a more desirable option than Villa Park, Lombard, Wood Dale and some of the other towns mentioned, where a $450k budget really risks overspending, no matter the home size. Rush travel times from Wheaton average 40-45 mins.

Neighboring Glen Ellyn will have a little less at $450k, but is worth a look as well.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 8,248 times
Thank you for all of your feedback! This is helping me to narrow it down!

Old 05-03-2017, 03:22 PM

155 posts, read 189,811 times
We live in Mount Prospect. Hot market right now. Still a great value to be had compared to others. Prospect High School is ranked #9 in the state. Stay away from Wheeling HS or Rolling Meadows.

Feel free to PM for info on Mount Prospect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs