Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 12:09 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,828,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
... and if you want to maximize the odds of a long term relationship it probably makes sense to factor that into your decision. Lots of people delay "pairing off" well past 30, while living in the burbs is not a "deal killer" it will means LOTS more driving than if you were living someplace with better access to CTA, I'd rate Oak Park / Forest Park / Berwyn and (possibly) Evanston as better served by transit even if your social events tend to be the western suburbs as at least given you options.
I don't. I want to be social, but not in a relationship. Just take my word for it.

I'm not writing off Oak Park / Forest Park / Berwyn. I've even researched condos there. Out of those three, I'm leaning the most toward Forest Park, since it has lower property taxes and cheaper prices, because of Proviso East High School. Berwyn is a close second: it's near Riverside's gorgeous downtown and puts me solidly on Metra's BNSF line, same as La Grange. But Evanston was never on my list; it's too far from my social venues. Which will mean a lot of driving. (There are Meetup groups near Evanston, but they're all sedate groups for the older crowd, like painting classes and upscale restaurants.)

The reason I didn't mention suburbs other than La Grange [Park], is to avoid derailing the thread. But those are still good.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 05-26-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,935 times
Mtottson, I'm curious how well you've settled in to this area of La Grange Park. We are also a Jewish family looking in the same area. We have been focused on Western Springs for a while but do keep it in the back of our minds that that has a predominantly Irish Catholic population. We are not super religious anyways but our kids would definitely be in the minority in that respect. For what it's worth, we are currently renting in La Grange and love it-- but are hoping to buy somewhere where the taxes aren't quite as high. Has La Grange Park/ Harding Woods been a good fit for your family?

Old 01-04-2019, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 775 times
I know this is an older thread, but I am curious if there are any airplane noise issues in La Grange/La Grange Park? Seems to be pretty close to Midway and not super far from O'hare.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:12 PM

529 posts, read 639,410 times
I live in the area. Usually the noise is fine. Once in a while, the noise will be a problem (I'm guessing from Midway) but that seems to be few and far between. I'd say 95% of the time the airplane noise is more than acceptable considering the proximity to both airports.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:09 PM

768 posts, read 1,093,207 times
we have lived here (la grange) 5 years - and have never noticed airplane noise... We are steps from the station and even that is not bad. They rarely blow the horn.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:11 PM

872 posts, read 605,815 times
Mtottson & Freemn: Both of you have indicated in your postings that you're Jewish families. There's a synagogue in Westchester, a community which is directly north of La Grange Park. It's B'Nai Israel, which is located just east of Mannheim Rd. and just south of the Eisenhower Expwy. I believe that this congregation is associated with the Reform movement.

Perhaps contacting the rabbi at this temple might give you better insight to Jewish life in the western suburbs.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:52 AM

29 posts, read 62,148 times
For suburbs to buy a condo is kind of a waste.. doesnt hold value or go up as much as a house in the suburbs cept only in chicago will condos fetch a higher price tag..

For a single guy with wanting a nightlife and a condo or a small house i would look into forest park since values have gone up crazy with all the young people in the 20s and 30s buying homes for the nighlife. There your buck will trend higher if you need to sell to have a bigger home for family one day.

La grange is towards family restaurants really not much of a night life. Or kids.. wanting a movie or ice cream and treats and hangout.

Forest park or even Evanston but taxes are cheaper in forest park..

Old 01-11-2019, 01:37 PM

768 posts, read 1,093,207 times
hey, we party pretty hard over here in La Grange... you should see when the younger moms hit up the DTLG bars - it gets crazy...

But i agree it is more family tilt...

Last edited by JJski; 01-11-2019 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs