Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2018 election for govenor
Pritzker 26 31.33%
Rauner 34 40.96%
Kennedy 9 10.84%
other 14 16.87%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:22 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,576,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Ives would get creamed in the general. You'd start seeing ads about her conservative position on abortion and immigration, and maybe even one showing her going into church. That would send the affluent Chicago and suburban liberals into a frenzy and into the polls in record numbers. Add them to the minority and union backing that's a Democratic automatic and JB would walk in with over 75% of the vote.

Rauner's not particularly dynamic and is thick headed but I think a lot of Chicagoland Democrats will hold their nose and vote for him simply because of the economics, He's moderate on buzzword social issues, which I think to them trumps their economic well being.
Other than the creamed part, I hope you're right. It might get a ton of evangelical and conservative turnout in this often ignored blue state. Rauner is DONE for his support of sanctuary cities and state funding of abortion. He isn't going to win either as many conservatives and evangelicals will not vote for him if he gets the party nomination. On the flip side, those in the R-group likely will back her if party is the only thing they care about. If believing in the sanctity of marriage, life, and religious freedom is too far right for most people, the Republican Party is already lost and America is officially a Leftist nation and the Republic as intended by its creators is DEAD and buried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,576,163 times
If I didn't believe that Ives had a shot at winning, I'd go cross party primary and vote the Democrat most likely to lose so that Rauner, as bad as he was, would at least have a shot at getting reelected.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:10 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,396,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Biss is the probably the best Democrat, he might get something done. But he has nowhere near the money two other candidates do. Plus the party could pull a dirty trick by getting Madigan to endorse him.

This has been about the most bizarre Governor's race I've ever seen.
He's been apologizing for his sensible attempt to reform public employee pensions a few years ago like he groped a young female intern's bottom at a Christmas party. And he thinks rent control is a good idea. I consider that frightening and do not consider him to be a good candidate.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:14 AM

3,472 posts, read 2,140,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
If I didn't believe that Ives had a shot at winning, I'd go cross party primary and vote the Democrat most likely to lose so that Rauner, as bad as he was, would at least have a shot at getting reelected.
Barring a dramatic turn of events, I believe Ives has a better chance of winning than Rauner. Though I don’t think either really stands a chance unless it’s JB that emerges from the primary and they dig up some more dirt (much more than they already have).

Old 03-16-2018, 05:11 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,804,740 times
After skipping the GOP governor candidates forum recently, though it was scheduled months in advance, Rauner's theme song should be "Run Away" (various artists).

Old 03-16-2018, 08:30 AM

6,326 posts, read 4,862,875 times
Either Pritzker or Biss. I haven't seen anyone be passionate about Kennedy, and Rauner is blamed (rightly or wrongly) for the state's financial woes, plus a Republican in Illinois was an anomaly anyway. That awful ad will probably sink Ives.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:45 PM

9,885 posts, read 9,492,567 times
I'm not much inspired to vote anyone since this is so heavily Democratic, especially the commercials. there is no one that appeals to me in Illinois. But i hope someone beats out Rauner who has done NOTHING but make excuses, and he got caught saying Madigan is in charge. Sheesh! What a wimp!

Old 03-17-2018, 08:31 PM

510 posts, read 367,410 times
[quote=BRU67;50779932)

Someone has to pay for free healthcare and free education. If we do not attract business, and in fact continue to push business away, taxes are going to go up to pay for those promises. That'll be on top of the massive pension deficit we also must pay down. That could cause more people and businesses to move, taxes to go up more, more people and businesses to move, and so on and so forth.

Now, we need figure out how to get our state viable and growing again economically. Then we can talk about free healthcare and college. Just legalizing weed and taxing the living crap out of "the rich" (which I guarantee you is going to be touted as the solution from the left) isn't going to get it done. [/QUOTE]

You don't tax the living crap out of the rich that want legal weed, many poor want it too. The smart thing is to go to heavy users and encourage them to buy more. It has been a help to many dozens if not hundreds of medical conditions.

This would mean most health care would be paid by the suffering, not state or gov't, assuming we continue users paying the full cost for something that has been paid in past.

College can be free if it is called 9th to 12th grade.

If you think of right as Republicans and left as Democrats, I am neither. We have over 50 parties. You might want to study some of them. Best wishes.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:39 AM

3,472 posts, read 2,140,536 times
Rauner is going to get hammered this fall

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ections-476748

https://mobile.twitter.com/eclecticb...323265/photo/1

Old 03-21-2018, 07:05 AM

768 posts, read 1,092,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Yep - i think jb is gonna win. I dont like either of them... And I also think IL will legalize mj if it gets on balllot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs