Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:22 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times

Advertisements

East of Springdale park is more of a matrix neighborhood, and less of the grid neighborhoods you'd see west/north of the park. The lots tend to be a bit bigger, and looks like it's a tad less walkable than the rest of the town. That said, I've only heard great things about that area.. Its still largely occupied by families with children. I'm unsure why you'd feel isolated other than it's harder to walk to downtown proper. It's not like you're talking North Barrington vs. South Barrington.

West of the park stays pretty true to the rest of the town. Grid neighborhoods with a good mix of ranches, older colonials, and new builds.

When all is said and done, I'd buy in Western Springs over DG even if it's more inconvenient to get to the train. You can always buy this house in the interim and move up towards 47 if you're looking to get closer to the action. I'd take the proximity of the town and schools over the individual house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 11:17 AM

3,496 posts, read 2,186,798 times
In general, I prefer Western Springs to Downers Grove. Both great towns but, to me personally, Western Springs is the most appealing town for raising a young family in the entire western suburbs (ahead of Hinsdale even). I don't think you can go wrong in Western Springs; however, I will say that Springdale is probably the least desirable part of town and does feel a bit "separated" from the rest of town. That is why I would say in this specific case I give the edge to the NW Downers Grove location that is easily accessible to downtown Downers, train, etc. Now if you find a home in Old Town, Field Park or any of the neighborhoods just south of downtown Western Springs, I would certainly give those locations an edge over the Downers Grove location. There is a reason homes in those parts of Western Springs go for big $$$ and you would likely have to compromise on the home itself to stay within budget.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:26 AM

If you are handy and able to address some cosmetic issues (paint, wallpaper, paneling), this is the type of home that I would consider as the location is near perfect. Assuming the structure and mechanicals are good, the biggest expense in updating this home (and yes it would be a pretty sizeable one) is the kitchen.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Western-Sp.../home/14060827

Old 06-20-2017, 11:42 AM

529 posts, read 647,257 times
You probably won't go wrong with either WS or DG, but based on the towns alone, I would choose Western Springs. You can walk/bike the 1.5 miles to the train no problem and drive in the winter if need be.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:48 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
If you are handy and able to address some cosmetic issues (paint, wallpaper, paneling), this is the type of home that I would consider as the location is near perfect. Assuming the structure and mechanicals are good, the biggest expense in updating this home (and yes it would be a pretty sizeable one) is the kitchen.

Nice house, but why the heck did they choose to continue that blue shade everywhere LOL

cheers

Old 06-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Nice house, but why the heck did they choose to continue that blue shade everywhere LOL

cheers
No kidding, they must really like the color blue. Looking past those things, with relatively minor updates this could be a really beautiful home.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:06 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
No kidding, they must really like the color blue. Looking past those things, with relatively minor updates this could be a really beautiful home.
Nice pick for a house and location. The lot alone will keep the value of the house going forever, since Old Town is a tear down neighborhood and the 77' lot will keep its value and grow. The thing I don't think would work for the couple looking in Springdale is that Springdale is SO very Catholic because of St. John of the Cross, and they are Jewish. When we lived in WS, we were literally the only non-Irish Catholics on the block, and while everyone was kind, we still stood out. I really think that because of location, schools, and investment potential WS is ahead of DG in many ways, and agree that Springdale is probably the most separated and different neighborhood in town.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:28 PM

748 posts, read 832,789 times
Quote:

Yikes! Updating this kitchen and the cosmetic updates could easily run into the 6 figures (IF there are issues w/ old electric etc). Taxes at nearly 12K makes this a bit more expensive, too.

I can't speak for WS, and I'm certain that it's a nice place to live. I will say, however, that micro-locations (I'm not the first to harp on this on this sub-forum) will be more important as the economy shifts. Being near a train that has access to the city certainly keeps property prices up. We'll see economic segregation/stratification within neighborhoods, not just between them.

To the OP - I recommend going to each area, and taking the walk yourself. Walk it in the brutal heat. See if you can actually find parking at 9:30 on a weekday. Is there a bike path/ do you feel comfortable getting around?

I didn't vet these examples, but here are some benefits of being near transit:

http://www.reconnectingamerica.org/a...transport2.pdf

Study: Homes Near Transit Were Insulated From the Housing Crash – Streetsblog USA

Old 06-20-2017, 02:41 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
In this case, I think I would go with Downers Grove. Being able to walk to the train and town is worth a lot, IMO, and I like DG's core a lot better.

Western Springs is very nice, but if you're not walkable to the train/town and not in one of the "grid layout" neighborhoods...meh. Kind of overrated in that case. And what justabystander said is very much worth repeating. Western Springs as a whole is quite Irish Catholic, but Springdale in particular is so very intertwined with the nearby St. John of the Cross Parish and School. Now, everyone is very nice, but he's right - it can be really hard to fit in when the vast, vast majority of people partake in X activity (in this case, St. John's Parish) and you do not. I am also not a huge fan of the layout of Springdale and the style of houses there.

Schools-wise, LT and Highlands have the slight edge but both towns have great schools - can't go wrong with either.

Not sure how set you are on these towns, but if you're willing to expand the search, why not check out La Grange?

Old 06-21-2017, 07:59 AM

748 posts, read 832,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
In this case, I think I would go with Downers Grove. Being able to walk to the train and town is worth a lot, IMO, and I like DG's core a lot better.

Western Springs is very nice, but if you're not walkable to the train/town and not in one of the "grid layout" neighborhoods...meh. Kind of overrated in that case. And what justabystander said is very much worth repeating. Western Springs as a whole is quite Irish Catholic, but Springdale in particular is so very intertwined with the nearby St. John of the Cross Parish and School. Now, everyone is very nice, but he's right - it can be really hard to fit in when the vast, vast majority of people partake in X activity (in this case, St. John's Parish) and you do not. I am also not a huge fan of the layout of Springdale and the style of houses there.

Schools-wise, LT and Highlands have the slight edge but both towns have great schools - can't go wrong with either.

Not sure how set you are on these towns, but if you're willing to expand the search, why not check out La Grange?
You've made a lot of valid comments - but I think the last question about LG comes down to price (I would suspect). 700K will go a lot farther in DG than in LG. I agree that the trade-offs might be worthwhile, but you can get a significantly nicer house and piece of property that's walkable to the train/ core for that money in Downers. It's increasingly hard to find something like that in LG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs