U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:33 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,707,461 times

Advertisements

I know this topic has probably been talked to death. I've always known our state was a poorly run one, however honestly I try not to pay attention because it just makes me angry, and there's really nothing I can do about it and nothing is ever going to change.

While I've tossed around the idea of maybe moving somewhere else but I'm the type that I get comfortable someplace, don't want to have to learn my way around a new city, plus in the past always said family ties and friends were kind of keeping me here.

Well my sister and parents left Illinois and I don't really spend much time with friends anymore as we've gotten older and I'm self employed so can really work fromanywhere so it's something I'm seriously considering.

It seems the budget crisis here has become national news and we're being comapred to Venezuela. I imagine property taxes are goign to get worse, probably income taxes as well and as a busines owner were going to be the first to get hit.

I've never been one of these people to whine about how I'm leaving but I'm finally at the point where I'm going to start seriously looking elsewhere.

Just curious if anyone else who never really thought they would leave is at least considering it now? Also anyone have any suggestions for greener pastures? South Carolina or Florida would probably be the first places I may consider looking, possibly Colorado or Texas.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-27-2017, 01:39 PM

9,065 posts, read 4,367,928 times
I've said most of this before but I'll say it again: I'm out of here at the earliest opportunity. The only thing keeping me here for now is the wife doesn't want to move away from family. But most of mine has already left and hers is starting to as well. In any case, I'm gone once the kids are done with school, and the wife has until then to decide whether she comes with me or stays here. If she decides to stay, she can keep the house because the property taxes will probably be more than the mortgage payment by then. If she comes with, I just hope we can complete the sale of our home before the new buyer realizes that its primary value is collateral to guarantee someone else's retirement fund.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:43 PM

1,430 posts, read 988,793 times
I left Illinois back in early 2015 and never have looked back, well I guess I am now since I'm in the Illinois thread haha.... If you can work from anywhere and are self employed you will save a lot of money in taxes if you move to a state with no state income tax...

Old 06-27-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
I left Illinois back in early 2015 and never have looked back, well I guess I am now since I'm in the Illinois thread haha.... If you can work from anywhere and are self employed you will save a lot of money in taxes if you move to a state with no state income tax...
If you don't mind sharing what state did you relocate to? Was it a big adjustment to make? Are you enjoying it?

My folks are in South Carolina so Charleston is a place that I've visited and really enjoy and that also has some family ties for me. I love the beach so Florida also sounds appealing. Something like Cali would be out as I'd like to know I could be back in Chicago within say a 18 hour drive or so in case of an emergency and just for some relative convenience. Texas and Colorado I've never been to but have heard good things.

I think I'm going to start doing some traveling maybe some long weekend trips to some other places just to get a feel for them and so I have something to seriously evaluate and consider.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:01 PM

748 posts, read 742,517 times
While I don't think that IL is going to go up in flames (or that other states have such greater offerings - especially if you need to commute to a major city center) I do hope that the tenor of this conversation can actually be productive. So far, it has been.

I've thought about ending up elsewhere, but IL actually made the most sense, due to the relatively lower cost of living compared with other major metro areas and the availability of good jobs at that lower COL. Other situations will surely be different, but employing two adults in vastly different fields is becoming harder and harder to do outside of a major urban center.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:37 PM

28,460 posts, read 81,439,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
States With No Income Tax: Better Or Worse To Live There? | Bankrate.com

The list is at the link, but I also would caution --
Quote:
Altogether, states with no income tax tend to place a disproportionately high tax burden on the poor. Five of the no-income-tax states -- Florida, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Tennessee -- are ranked in ITEP's "Terrible 10" list for unfair taxing.
Sadly Illinois, where we have the "triple whammy" of high sales taxes, high property taxes, and a one-size-hits-all income tax is also on the "terrible 10" list.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:41 PM

6,526 posts, read 5,668,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
If you don't mind sharing what state did you relocate to?
JPrzybylski07 Sig say Naples so I assume Florida. Unless they moved to Italy.

I can live anywhere (work remote from home) and actually moved back to Illinois last year. There are cheaper places to live, but you get what you pay for (to an extent). We like it here and will stay as long as the Income Tax stays where it is, but if it goes up, I will reevaluate the situation. Love the midwest (four distinct seasons) so if we move, it would likely be to a neighbor state.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:51 PM

3,387 posts, read 5,679,701 times
I left Illinois in 2009. Could've gone back after active duty for free state college but decided I was better off using my GI Bill to pay for it than going back.

Have you considered NWI?

I'm in Orlando now. While FL doesn't have income tax, it seems insurance costs more here, property taxes are about average (which means lower than Crook County) but people are moving here in large numbers, it seems.

Wherever you decide to go, do your new place a favor and leave the IL mindset behind. Why would you leave a mess just to go somewhere new and try to turn the new place into the mess you just left? That's what a lot of people from CA have managed to do with certain parts of CO and TX. FL has a lot of people from NJ and NY here, just hope they don't try to turn this place into what they left.

The machine has ruined Illinois. Sad because Chicago has great music, great people and some of the greatest food I've ever experienced and I've been to a few places.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:52 PM

688 posts, read 1,023,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
My folks are in South Carolina so Charleston is a place that I've visited and really enjoy and that also has some family ties for me. I love the beach so Florida also sounds appealing.
We lived in Mount Pleasant, the beach community just over the bridge from Charleston. We loved it there, moved away reluctantly for family reasons.

So no need to go as far south as FLA for beaches.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I left Illinois in 2009. Could've gone back after active duty for free state college but decided I was better off using my GI Bill to pay for it than going back.

Have you considered NWI?

I'm in Orlando now. While FL doesn't have income tax, it seems insurance costs more here, property taxes are about average (which means lower than Crook County) but people are moving here in large numbers, it seems.

Wherever you decide to go, do your new place a favor and leave the IL mindset behind. Why would you leave a mess just to go somewhere new and try to turn the new place into the mess you just left? That's what a lot of people from CA have managed to do with certain parts of CO and TX. FL has a lot of people from NJ and NY here, just hope they don't try to turn this place into what they left.

The machine has ruined Illinois. Sad because Chicago has great music, great people and some of the greatest food I've ever experienced and I've been to a few places.
I actually have considered Southwest Michigan moreso than NW Indiana but have considered both. I think my situation is a bit different being a business owner potential tax savings for my business could have a huge impact for me personally.

I absolutely love many areas of SW Michigan and while I wouldn't mind the slower pace of things, I have a feeling in the winter time things turn into a ghost town. While it would be kinda nice still being within a nice driving distance to Chicago and what I'll probably always consider home, I kind of figure if I'm going to move outside of the Chicagoland area I may as well go big and move somewhere would be different and hopefully really cool. I'm a huge beach guy almost every weekend during the summer I'm out in SW Michigan so thats why Florida and the Carolians are enticing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs