Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 10:55 AM

29 posts, read 28,506 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We might move to metro Chicago next year and we will probably work from home. We prefer something with a white collar heartbeat in case our company slows down because I hate the idea of having to ever move again and I abhor long commutes. We have IT and engineering backgrounds.

I'm looking for great elementary schools that differentiate student learning, as we have one 4 year old who *might* have special needs but is also gifted and another that is only two years old.

I care a lot about local parks and nature trails, low traffic congestion, convenience walking to shopping/gym/schools/Metra/libraries/outdoor sports. We want a house, not a condo or townhome. Our budget is low 600's. Based on this I have narrowed it down to the greater Barrington areas including Tower Lakes and Wheaton. We care about cultural diversity however and Wheaton College is from what I understand a non-secular college. What is that area's reputation, would a non-religious bi-racial person have any reps there?

I really need to narrow it down a bit and plan to go and visit.

Schools are more important than anything.
I'm not talking about test scores, because I have seen a lot of districts that fly by on the performance of their high Asian population (despite low teacher pay and retention). I am more interested in progressive districts with strong budgets, high parental involvement, and high teacher/principal retention. Wheaton, Libertyville, and the greater Barrington areas all seem to have this based on my very initial research but I'd like input from those with direct experience? The problem is how far Libertyville seems to be from Chi, so I'm kind of thinking of ruling it out.

Does anyone know anybody whose children attend Rockland Elementary or Grove Avenue Elementary?

Anyways, sorry to ramble, any input is appreciated, especially helping me get more specific.

Thparkly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 11:36 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,062,712 times
Have you found a job yet? If so, where will it be? None of the areas you are looking at are diverse. Libertyville is less diverse than any of the towns you mentioned so I would skip out on it especially if you're concerned with it's distance from Chicago. Barrington is a little bit because it's school district serve parts if Hoffman Estates and Carpentersville.

I know Wheaton's special education program is very good, not sure about their gifted program. And I know Barrington has a very good gifted program, but not sure about their special education program. Half of Inverness is in the Palatine school district and the other half is in the Barrington school district. Fremd HS the HS that would be assigned to your home if you live on the Palatine side of Inverness has a very good special education program.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:41 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,622,124 times
Wheaton is at least 45 minutes away from Barrington without traffic (one of these things is not like the other...). But if you want to walk to things, the small downtown area of Barrington and the central part of Wheaton are the only good options for that on your list.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:24 PM

4,838 posts, read 2,948,464 times
I once resided in Wheaton, quiet but you will feel boxed in as there really are no outdoor nature trails etc barring 1 path.

Whereas Barrington and particularly S. Barrington are much better options taking into account your posted needs.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I once resided in Wheaton, quiet but you will feel boxed in as there really are no outdoor nature trails etc barring 1 path.
I have to disagree with this. There are two branches of the Illinois Prairie Path in Wheaton, and the Great Western Trail is just a few blocks north of the Wheaton border. Not to mention a HUGE amount of trail activities on the south side of town in the Morton Arboretum, Danada Preserve, and Herrick Lake Preserve. And Cantigny Park certainly provides some nice walks.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:19 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,323,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post

Whereas Barrington and particularly S. Barrington are much better options taking into account your posted needs.
What??

The Wheaton Park District manages 800 acres of green space, including the 146-acre Lincoln Marsh and even a free zoo.

Lincoln Marsh Natural Area
Cosley Zoo

Downtown Wheaton is the terminus for all three branches of the Illinois Prairie Path, providing easy access to a staggering 60+ miles of green trails.

Illinois Prairie Path. North America's first successful rails-to-trails conversion.

Wheaton contains or borders Danada Farm and Preserve, Cantigny Park, Morton Arboretum, St. James Farm, Kline Creek Farm, Blackwell Preserve, and Herrick Lake Preserve -- collectively they represent multiple 1000 acres of green space and trails.

Danada Equestrian Center and Danada Preserve: 825 acres
Cantigny Park: 500 acres
The Morton Arboretum: 1700 acres
St. James Farm: 612 acres
Kline Creek Farm: 1163 acres
Blackwell Forest Preserve: 1379 acres
Herrick Lake Preserve: 896 acres

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 12-28-2015 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 01:29 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,323,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Wheaton is at least 45 minutes away from Barrington without traffic (one of these things is not like the other...). But if you want to walk to things, the small downtown area of Barrington and the central part of Wheaton are the only good options for that on your list.
Working from home... don't think they need to drive to Barrington... unless I missed something? The choices are sure spread out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thparkly View Post
We might move to metro Chicago next year and we will probably work from home. We prefer something with a white collar heartbeat in case our company slows down because I hate the idea of having to ever move again and I abhor long commutes.
Wheaton is 24 miles from the Loop on a straight line, and has the quickest Metra service of the bunch. Barrington and Libertyville are both 32 miles, and Tower Lakes is 36 miles.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 12-28-2015 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Working from home... don't think they need to drive to Barrington... unless I missed something? The choices are sure spread out though.
The OP said "Based on this I have narrowed it down to the greater Barrington areas including Tower Lakes and Wheaton". So my point is that Wheaton is quite far from the "Greater Barrington Area".

Personally, I favor the "Greater Wheaton Area" anyway.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:21 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,062,712 times
The OP said they are probably working from home which seems like they might've not got a job yet. However, if they are working from home, Arlington Heights/ Mount Prospect/ Prospect Heights in the Hersey HS district would also be a good choice.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,690,252 times
Tower Lakes has no convenient walking anything. It's a neat neighborhood but the N Barrington area is all driving. It's 10-15 mins to the nearest real shopping (LZ). We lived in the area for 10 years and loved it but everything is at least a 10 min drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs