Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:00 PM

62 posts, read 299,845 times

Advertisements

Growing up a child we used to live right off the corner of Morton Rd and North Ave. This is where the New Wheaton Bible church is. I'm wondering what people know about this place. The old Morton Manor Mansion was built in 1930's by Mark Morton. He lived there until he was 92 and than died. It was then bought by Robert VanKampen who was a self made millionare. The property was filled with exotic animals zebra,Camel,etc. I found a web-site that had some pictures of it, but I can't stop thinking about it. If you know anything or pictures let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 02:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
I know of the place, I grew up around that area. I know the new church is there, not sure what ever came of the mansion though. I know, Im not really much help. haha

Old 03-13-2008, 07:45 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Yeah - i remember driving past that place and seeing the animals. I knew it was morton mansion in there, but never knew what happened and why the church bought it. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:44 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,354 times
From what I understand the second owner, VanKampen, had ties to the Bible Church and that is how they afforded to built such a large facility there. The Bible Church is selling their old facility to the Luthern Church which is currently next door. It is amazing the kind of money some of the churches have in the area!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:45 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
I grew up right near there as well, and remember driving by it as a kid and looking at the animals. I haven't been by there in years. So it is a church now? Did they tear the mansion down?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:24 AM

Yup, the mansion is gone. I can't believe they tore down a 8,000 sg.ft building. I found a web-site that actually had bought the salvage rights to 3 rooms in the house. The rooms were made od solid walnut. They also bought the pillars on the house which were made out of handcarved limestone. I'm still awating someone that may have pictures, but I could be dreamin'

Old 03-15-2008, 08:50 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,354 times
Board Staff Report, Carol Stream, Illinois (IL) (http://www.carolstream.org/ReferenceDesk/AgendaandMinutesArchive/2002BoardAgendas/BoardAgenda031802/StaffReport-Resolution1926.htm - broken link)

I found this link to the Village of Carol Stream. Apparantly in 2000 the plan was to build the new church and keep and restore the mansion. Obviously things have changed. I didn't have time to read the whole document but you may get more info there??

Old 05-06-2008, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 8,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesinrockford View Post
Growing up a child we used to live right off the corner of Morton Rd and North Ave. This is where the New Wheaton Bible church is. I'm wondering what people know about this place. The old Morton Manor Mansion was built in 1930's by Mark Morton. He lived there until he was 92 and than died. It was then bought by Robert VanKampen who was a self made millionare. The property was filled with exotic animals zebra,Camel,etc. I found a web-site that had some pictures of it, but I can't stop thinking about it. If you know anything or pictures let me know.
Hi, I have a friend that purchased a room salvaged from this house and I did an album for them. I'm always looking for new things to add about the history of the house. Could you give me the website where you found pictures? I got some info from the West Chicago City Museum if that heps you. Thank you.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 PM

Architectural Antiques Info is the website I found with pictures of the other room that was salvaged (walnut room) and exterior pictures. If you can share what you found I'd appriciate it. I am looking for more Pictures do you have any?? Also if you go the the chicago harold or tribune archives (you have to pay) they have several articles on the home. I know at one point they used it as a school and I have a small picture of a girl in front of the home. If you want me to send you a email of the picture of what I found sent me a direct message. I have become obsessed with this house. Also, I think if you go to Zillow.com and type in morton rd it will give you a arial view of the mansion.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 7,922 times
Default scary morton manor

I lived in west chicago and we used to drive by the morton manor because we heard it was haunted or that monks lived there and there were clubs hanging from the trees. We used to dare each other to drive down the driveway and no one would take that bet. I know there are many many people that heard the same stories out there about the manor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs