Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 AM

15 posts, read 16,002 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever move in their sixties from the Deep South to just north of Chicago to retire? Guess one never hears of people moving that far north to retire. Just curious and hearing opinions and views. Thanks

If so why and how was the transition, Especially with Illinois greater cost of living expenses, property taxes and extreme weather?

Georgia and Florida also exempt most retirement incomes as Illinois but at a far less cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
On the one hand Illinois does not tax retirement income. On the other hand sales taxes are high and property taxes are insane. Also, a lot of older people do not like the ice and snow in winter. Public Transit inside Chicago though can be a big plus for people who no longer drive.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:03 AM

Yep! Just never knew anyone who traveled north to Illinois to retire. Just threw question out there for that reason.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:05 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
I can't say I know anyone who came here to retire unless they had family here. Most of the retirees I know here have been here all their lives. A lot of retirees are leaving due to property taxes.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:28 AM

Is it any better (neighborhoods, communities, traffic, and cost of living) to live in Cook, Lake or another county? I heard that some area are transitioning, some too rural, others too costly. We Have a Granddaughter in Arlington Heights, so did not want an hour one way commute. But dont want to on top of them either. They are the ONLY reason for question and thread.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:41 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
I really don't know the various pros and cons tax wise of living in the various counties that comprise Chicago. If your grand daughter lives in Arlington heights I believe that is Cook County. There are plenty of nice places to live that are close to Arlington Heights but not actually in it. Some of it depends on if you want to buy something or just rent an apartment. Places to look might be Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village, Roselle, Itasca, Mt. Prospect. These are typical, safe suburban areas and very close to Arlington Heights. In response to your question about people moving north to retire, typically those that do have family in the area and have decided its better to be near them. In other cases, our medical services here may be better or more accessible than those in parts of the south. The cold weather lasts a few months and most retirees stay in doors and don't need to go out in the bad weather so its not that much of an issue. Also the street and sidewalk plowing is good here.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:29 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
If it were me, I'd do everything possible to avoid living in Cook County. Too many silly taxes like the bag tax, sugary drink tax, etc. and Chicago will continue to suck Cook County residents dry to feed the insatiable money pit. You can go just a little North of Arlington Heights to escape Cook County, while still a short drive to/from relatives.

Cook County residents' property taxes going up, especially in Chicago | abc7chicago.com

http://abc7chicago.com/food/cook-cou...uly-1/2151353/

Old 08-08-2017, 08:50 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The cold weather lasts a few months and most retirees stay in doors and don't need to go out in the bad weather so its not that much of an issue. Also the street and sidewalk plowing is good here.
Wow. You must be a youngin'. I will tell you that the viewpoint of a retiree is quite different. Wasting four months every year trapped in the house because of winter weather is totally unacceptable. It will drive you crazy. It is very much a huge issue and the reason people either move to the south or spend the winter months in the south after they retire.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Agreed on not wanting to stay trapped inside and cold affects on older person more than younger or someone who has lived there and accustomed to that weather. Can't afford to have two home locations though Florida and Illinois. lol

Last edited by GaWander; 08-08-2017 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 05:53 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Wow. You must be a youngin'. I will tell you that the viewpoint of a retiree is quite different. Wasting four months every year trapped in the house because of winter weather is totally unacceptable. It will drive you crazy. It is very much a huge issue and the reason people either move to the south or spend the winter months in the south after they retire.
My parents have lived in the Chicago area all their lives. They're now in their 80's and spend about 3 - 3.5 months in either Florida or the Phoenix area. I'm glad I don't have to worry about them slipping on ice and breaking an arm or a leg. That might be something to look into, either renting an apartment or buying a condo here and then renting in Florida for the winter months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs