U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 11:20 PM

60 posts, read 47,216 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share my experience in Rockford today. I have always lived in the Chicago suburbs but I am trying to get around a little more because I'm feeling cabin fever. I haven't been to Rockford in about 15 years so I figured I'd experience it on my own as an adult.
So I got on 90 (thank god the construction is done - roads are beautiful) and started up some music. The first thing I noticed when I entered the Rockford limits was how rundown it looked. So many huge, abandoned buildings with the windows broken. It reminded me a lot of Elgin but sh1ttier (sorry, just being honest). After driving around a bit I started to get the feel for it. I love that there isn't a ton of terrible traffic. I stopped and got some great tacos from some place near the river. My waiter was really friendly and told me to check out the Japanese garden, which I did. It was lovely. I walked around for almost 2 hours. Very peaceful and serene.
It was weird to not see Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and other fast food chains on every street corner but I love it. I'm really over being in DuPage county where you can't drive a quarter mile without seeing one of these places.
After strolling around a bit more I got back on the open road and headed home. Absolutely no traffic at all, even during rush hour. It was pleasant and relaxing, overall.
Is anyone on here from Rockford? What's it like to live here? Would you move and if so, where to? Would you recommend any other sites in the area to visit?

Cheers!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 AM

1,137 posts, read 885,168 times
I visit Rockford OFTEN, as my Storage Lot is there up North of it. You missed Cherryville Mall. The Downtown is like "dead.." I think mfg has suffered there, too. But I guess the costs of living there is extremely cheap as Rockford has been busted by a very bad economy during the Recession. Maybe the State Park there would be nice to visit. Up North I think on US 20 [?] is a Planetfitness Plaza that has a next door "antique / consignment" shop or so... Nice to get collectible items from there!

Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,595,221 times
Rockford is not nice. If you are thinking about moving outside of the Chicagoland area there are two cities that are very nice. Yesterday I went to Woodstock. Very charming town, very historical. I'd recommend that way beyond Rockford. Also check out Sycamore. Nice town.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:48 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,913,839 times
I used to have a friend who lived in Cherry Valley - they seemed to like it very much. That was about 20 years ago, though. I haven't been out that way in 40 years +.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM

5,724 posts, read 9,242,993 times
I've only visited Rockford a few times, several years ago, for the children's museum and it was fantastic (and I've been to a lot of children's museums). Hopefully it is still there. I remember you could join their museums at a bargain price, and get reciprocity membership with more expensive Chicago museums.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:48 PM

5,724 posts, read 9,242,993 times
The children's museum is ranked one of the best in the U.S...

#5 on USA Today "Best Museums for Families"
#7 on Forbes list of "Best Children's Museums in the U.S."

Rockford's Discovery Center Named Among Best Children's Museums in the Midwest

Old 09-17-2017, 05:18 AM

In the past I used to visit Rockford's Vintage BMX Show, + other bike shows. Yesterday I went to the Camping Grounds of the nearby State Park - it was ok! $12 / night tent camping no hookups [my minivan / cargo trailer has no hookups].

Well, Rockford is better than Kankakee, Bloomington - Normal, and Peoria, but Champaign - Urbana is kinda interesting...

Old 09-21-2017, 09:52 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,632,947 times
I've been doing what you are a lot over the past few months. In the past I'd mostly stuck to the north side of Chicago and the inner suburbs (I live in Oak Park), but this summer and early fall I've explored Elgin, DeKalb, Joliet, Kenosha, Woodstock/Crystal Lake/Harvard, Waukegan, Oswego, Beverly/Mt. Greenwood, and a few other places. Work in my industry might take me across the country eventually, so in the meantime, I want to see as much of the Chicago area as I can.

Never really been to Rockford, though. Good idea.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM

If you're heading to Rockford on the i-90, get a brochure about it in the Belvidere Oasis.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:48 PM

459 posts, read 359,492 times
I wouldn't recommend Rockford. Didn't feel safe there at all, couldn't wait to leave. Both cellphone stores I went to had a huge security presence. One of the stores had busted out glass with glass all over with cops all over. It appears they were robbed. The second store had private security all over the store, cops all over outside. Got my new cellphone and high tailed it on out of that place. I'll go through Rockford, but I would not stop there again.

Last edited by ipkl07; 09-21-2017 at 09:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs