U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 07:06 AM

699 posts, read 529,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
https://www.zillow.com/community/bow...98820258_zpid/

This is within your range, my friends' only complaint is no island in the kitchen. There's enough room to install one though.
Nice views of the golf course for a backyard, and a good school district.
Would need at least three bedrooms and being in a townhome now we're looking for single family homes...
The link below looks somewhat promising for another community. Not sure if anyone is familiar with it...?
https://www.westpointgardens.com/
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 08:24 AM

3,437 posts, read 1,548,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Downtown Elgin is also pretty cool. Hemmens Auditorium puts on a lot of good performances. The downtown Elgin, in my opinion, compares much more favorably to the downtown of its southern Fox River neighbor Aurora in terms of things to do, restaurants, etc.
I agree. Downtown Elgin feels somewhat "brighter" than downtown Aurora, and without the sterile feel you find in places like downtown Naperville. When I looked at Google Maps, I saw an eclectic mishmash of 100-year-old buildings and new construction, that seemed to fit together quite well. Kind of like Wicker Park in early 2000's, only with wider roads, hillier terrain, and more parking lots. (It's a suburb, after all.) I think Elgin should embrace its history and preserve its grittiness a little more, rather than aim for a gentrification-style neighborhood. But it's better than leaving it in the rundown state it used to be in.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 11-06-2017 at 08:35 AM..

Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM

1,175 posts, read 584,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I agree. Downtown Elgin feels somewhat "brighter" than downtown Aurora, and without the sterile feel you find in places like downtown Naperville. When I looked at Google Maps, I saw an eclectic mishmash of 100-year-old buildings and new construction, that seemed to fit together quite well. Kind of like Wicker Park in early 2000's, only with wider roads, hillier terrain, and more parking lots. (It's a suburb, after all.) I think Elgin should embrace its history and preserve its grittiness a little more, rather than aim for a gentrification-style neighborhood. But it's better than leaving it in the rundown state it used to be in.
We do, even the few run down historical homes remaining cannot be demolished. And our codes are different in historical districts, to preserve the look.
My only issue is, I'm used to Elmhurst and being 3 blocks from city hall means too loud for my taste.
Once you travel 2 miles away from either side of the river, it's nice and quiet.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:51 AM

1,175 posts, read 584,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Would need at least three bedrooms and being in a townhome now we're looking for single family homes...
The link below looks somewhat promising for another community. Not sure if anyone is familiar with it...?
https://www.westpointgardens.com/
Will take a look tomorrow, am driving right past that development. I am not familiar with the local builder, only national ones I once supplied materials to such as Toll Bros. Only issue I see there is all of the on-going construction as it relates to Rte. 20. This road is a constant mess, as it needs lanes added to keep up with population growth.
And it's a state road, in a state that is not in any financial shape for improvements.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:27 PM

572 posts, read 649,156 times
Quote:
I agree. Downtown Elgin feels somewhat "brighter" than downtown Aurora
Ironic since Aurora is the "City of Lights."

Old 11-07-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
Ironic since Aurora is the "City of Lights."
Haha! I was referring more to the general feel of the suburb, rather than to its streetlights. By "brighter", I meant that Elgin didn't have the brooding feel I found in Aurora (which I actually liked), and didn't cross into the "theme park" territory (a concept I touched on in many of my posts).

I'm happy to hear that Elgin is working to preserve its history. Satellite towns of Chicago, like Elgin, seem like good compromises between city and suburb. Maybe they will appeal to future generations of hipsters, who'll age out of Wicker Park et al., but will still want something more urban than, say, Huntley.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Haha! I was referring more to the general feel of the suburb, rather than to its streetlights. By "brighter", I meant that Elgin didn't have the brooding feel I found in Aurora (which I actually liked), and didn't cross into the "theme park" territory (a concept I touched on in many of my posts).

I'm happy to hear that Elgin is working to preserve its history. Satellite towns of Chicago, like Elgin, seem like good compromises between city and suburb. Maybe they will appeal to future generations of hipsters, who'll age out of Wicker Park et al., but will still want something more urban than, say, Huntley.
How does elgin compare to it's northern suburbs/towns sleepy hollow and west dundee?

My wife found some very affordable and nice properties there. All of which are close to the big timber metra station. Granted my commute would over an hour into the city but it looked like an ok area.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
How does elgin compare to it's northern suburbs/towns sleepy hollow and west dundee?

My wife found some very affordable and nice properties there. All of which are close to the big timber metra station. Granted my commute would over an hour into the city but it looked like an ok area.
Sleepy Hollow and West Dundee are basically suburbs of Elgin.

Elgin is an actual city on a small scale, in my opinion. It was even founded separately from Chicago. West Dundee (and its twin East Dundee) has a small, quaint downtown that doesn't really mesh with the rest of it, which is your run-of-the-mill suburbia. Sleepy Hollow is overwhelmingly rural, consisting entirely of houses with large yards; at its founding, it was laid out to accommodate horse ownership, and some residents own horses even today. Schools in these suburbs are meh; correct me if I'm wrong.

The area around the Big Timber Road station is good, although very suburban. There's one catch: Metra trains don't run there on weekends. You'd need to drive to Elgin or National Street station to get into the city on those days. You may or may not need to; the Fox River corridor gives you plenty of restaurant and entertainment options locally, unless you want something really fancy or glitzy.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Sleepy Hollow and West Dundee are basically suburbs of Elgin.

Elgin is an actual city on a small scale, in my opinion. It was even founded separately from Chicago. West Dundee (and its twin East Dundee) has a small, quaint downtown that doesn't really mesh with the rest of it, which is your run-of-the-mill suburbia. Sleepy Hollow is overwhelmingly rural, consisting entirely of houses with large yards; at its founding, it was laid out to accommodate horse ownership, and some residents own horses even today. Schools in these suburbs are meh; correct me if I'm wrong.

The area around the Big Timber Road station is good, although very suburban. There's one catch: Metra trains don't run there on weekends. You'd need to drive to Elgin or National Street station to get into the city on those days. You may or may not need to; the Fox River corridor gives you plenty of restaurant and entertainment options locally, unless you want something really fancy or glitzy.
So only downside really is the schools still, it seems. We will have to drive through that area.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:39 PM

572 posts, read 649,156 times
Quote:

Elgin is an actual city on a small scale, in my opinion. It was even founded separately from Chicago..
Quote:
You'd need to drive to Elgin or National Street station to get into the city on those days. You may or may not need to; the Fox River corridor gives you plenty of restaurant and entertainment options locally, unless you want something really fancy or glitzy.
This to me says it all about why the Fox Valley is such an underrated region of the Chicago area. Most of the cities out there were settled apart from (and some before) Chicago, and were almost distinctly separate until suburban sprawl caught up with them. The region is anchored with two mid-size cities (Aurora and Elgin), both with their fair shares of cultural offerings (The Paramount in Aurora and the Hemmens in Elgin being the main cultural centers in those towns) and between those are the quaint Tri-Cities. Very easy to find things to do in that region without having to go to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or