Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 12:18 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,055,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
I am from wheaton, and yes Wheaton has its dumpy areas as well. Not saying oak park doesn’t have pricy houses..but there are a lot of dumpy areas. And I wouldn’t call it safe, and with the recent crimes. I will also say it has a nice but congested downtown but I don’t enjoy all the city buses clogging up the streets either. Keep in mind this is a message board where people can post their opinions. You think it’s the gold coast, I’m just stating I don’t due to my visits and having family who live there and are now anxious to move. I don’t have to enjoy oak park, it’s o.k. I just don’t get why my opinion on it is contingent to your happiness.
I think of Wheaton as being very nice, I think of it in the same way as like Glen Ellyn, Naperville, etc, I wasn't aware there were sketchy areas of wheaton though I suppose every town has a sketchy area. I feel like Ogden always has kind of a rundown feel even in nicer towns ie Naperville Stardust motel, Downers some tattoo parlors, etc. Wheaton I don't go out there that much but I think ther's a trailer park though it looks nicer but I guess I could see maybe some of the apartmetn complexes maybe being a bit sketchy. In Naperville people talk bad about Olive Trees by Washington and Bailey and while maybe not as nice as the rest of Naperville I wouldn't be worried about my safety, more so probably property crimes ie a car breakin or something which isn't great but not as bad as safety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 12:23 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,872,445 times
Doodlemagic, almost every suburb in Chicago has its dumpy area or a row or two of "questionable apartments" rented by low income renters. This goes for Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, and many others. Wheaton is generally a very beautiful area with some million dollar plus homes but it also has modest homes as well. Its very diverse.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:30 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,055,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Doodlemagic, almost every suburb in Chicago has its dumpy area or a row or two of "questionable apartments" rented by low income renters. This goes for Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, and many others. Wheaton is generally a very beautiful area with some million dollar plus homes but it also has modest homes as well. Its very diverse.
Despite being familiar with the west burbs generally wheaton is one I rarely venture to and don't know that much about. I typically think of it as being very white, not that diverse and I think of it as being upscale so was just curious in regards to more details about sketchiness but sounds like it may just be a few pockets like every area seems to have

Old 12-11-2017, 03:35 PM

263 posts, read 563,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
This is the truth. Other than in a few areas like crime level, there's really no such thing as objective desirability. It's all about what you like. Some people want a classic pre-WWII look; some want shiny new glass construction; some want outer-suburban McMansions. Some want four seasons; some want cold; some want hot. Some want a neighborhood where most people look and talk like them and have similar political and religious views; others crave diversity. Some love the convenience and environmental friendliness of high density; others hate the crowdedness and traffic it brings.

This, along with the differing costs of living in various places, is why everyone on C-D groans when someone asks for recommendations on where they should live and doesn't give specifics.

I grew up largely in Oak Park and I love it, but it's definitely not something everyone would love.
It has been my experience that those who talk about craving diversity the most only consider racial, or perhaps sexual orientation diversity. They generally shout down or ostracize anyone with a diversity of thought.

It is that sort of virtue signalling that makes Oak Park seem annoying to me. Along with the "Nuclear Weapons Free Zone" sign just north of the 290 when you take the Harlem Avenue exit. That sign is especially ridiculous.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,144,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
Take a look at the exodus from Illinois into account. Oak park isn’t what it used to be. There are a lot of dumpy disgusting eye sores. I see them every time we drive that congested Harlem ave. Of course prices are high, doesn’t mean it worth it, or safe! Calling oak park unsafe and congested is hardly over the top. It is my and a lot of other people opinion. Your statement about someone’s mother living in englewood is not only over the top itself just plain odd. And take a look at the car jacking going on in oak park...two community meetings have been held about this.
If it's that bad out in Oak Park, then it needs a nickname that describes how dangerous it is(e.g Maywood/Murdawoodz). Oak Park from this day forward shall be known as Jacck Park. Let other other suburbs and Chicago communities know that word on the streetz is that Jacck Park ain't sweet and if you come to Harlem Ave.(aka Jacck World) they take ya car and leave ya kids in it. On foe nem

Old 12-11-2017, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 20,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
If it's that bad out in Oak Park, then it needs a nickname that describes how dangerous it is(e.g Maywood/Murdawoodz). Oak Park from this day forward shall be known as Jacck Park. Let other other suburbs and Chicago communities know that word on the streetz is that Jacck Park ain't sweet and if you come to Harlem Ave.(aka Jacck World) they take ya car and leave ya kids in it. On foe nem
There's already a nickname for Oak Park: "No Park", due to its absurd parking rules.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:09 AM

73 posts, read 162,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthewisegam View Post
There's already a nickname for Oak Park: "No Park", due to its absurd parking rules.
Holy crow, we get it. You don't like Oak Park or its parking.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:52 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,596,110 times
This started out as a lousy thread and has only gone downhill from there, and has become a dumping ground for complainers.

Oak Park isn't for anyone, but I think it's ridiculous some of the comments made here. Bad parking-Yes. Increased Crime-Unfortunately yes; Overstated Diversity-Maybe; Dumpy-Absolutely not; Vibrant Downtown and Good Schools-Absolutely. Seems people are airing personal issues or insecurities (or subjective inaccuracies) they may have at Oak Park's expense.

The positives still very much outweigh the negatives.

Bad thread.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:05 PM

9 posts, read 20,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesco View Post
Holy crow, we get it. You don't like Oak Park or its parking.
I didn't make up that nickname...

"No Park" was made up by people long before me and will be continued to be used long after I die because Oak Park has no inclination to change. They don't want to put up signs that state "No Parking" because it generates a lot of money from out of towners or new residents or just about anyone else who don't know the rules.

Tell me, how is it fair to state that you can't park on a street when there are absolutely no signs on that street?

Old 12-21-2017, 11:20 AM

12 posts, read 11,333 times
I feel compelled to chime in here. We (a small family) bought a house in Oak Park and have lived here for around two years now. For us, it's awesome since we love walking (can get to downtown or green or blue line CTA stations in under 20 minutes) and have young children who will eventually attend the public schools. We are also fortunate enough to not need to drive much (I work from home and wife has a two-block commute), and we have a garage which basically eliminates all issues for us.

I have lived in Wicker Park and spent time in many other north side Chicago neighborhoods, and they all have far worse congestion and parking issues than Oak Park. There's no comparison whatsoever. It literally defies belief that anybody could think otherwise. That said, yes, it's obviously more of an issue here than in a place like Naperville. But the Village is actually experimenting with a few things in response to resident complains (believe it or not). They are trying out new signs, which I actually like (but apparently I'm in the minority there). There is also a pilot program happening in my part of town (southwest), where they are experimenting with various things including eliminating (or reducing) the overnight parking ban for residents. In 2016, there was a sort of mini wave election of trustees (which, of course, controls the regulations) who seem more responsive to resident concerns than previous ones.

Regarding crime, there has indeed been a spike in carjackings lately. The local police made arrests within the past couple of weeks in connection with those, so we'll see if that has an impact. Even then, statistically, the most likely thing to happen to you here is someone breaking into your garage or parked car. If you don't believe me, read through some of the recent weekly police reports. Crime is overall a minor concern for us. I wouldn't hesitate to walk anywhere at night, nor would my wife, although I wouldn't be listening to headphones, etc.

I hope this helps bring a little more context!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs