Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 11:12 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,054,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Nothing like rich people with no taste and too much money to burn: Tear down hundred-year-old housing, build a ridiculous mansion, and sell at a loss after living there for six years and permanently changing the streetscape.
How does that affect you though? You can make the argument it affects the character of the community and I'd agree to some point but what they do with their money is of no concern to you nor is there resale value. If you had some good money and wanted to live in a giant house look at it as a fire sale opportunity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I don't know why anyone would spend so much money constructing a house in Naperville. There is a substantial amount of price resistance above $1 million, but that goes from substantial to almost insurmountable over $2 million. In the last 12 months, not even one single-family home has sold in Naperville for $2 million or above.
If you have the money to buy up all those lots and build a giant house your probably not in the position where you need to be concerned with resale value. Some people are in a position to do things which to the normal person aren't financially smart or responsible but they can do it just because they want to. When you work hard and have success those kinds of opportunities open up for you.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:50 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,902,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Naperville has a lot going for it but everyplace has their draws. To me downsides of Naperville are traffic congestion, distance from Chicago, lack of interesting restaurants ie mom and pop places, hot dog stands, ethnic food, etc. Boring housing stock.
Traffic congestion? Its cake compared to Chicago. Distance isn't too horrible, IMO. Lack of interesting restaurants? That's where I disagree completely. There is ethnic food all over Naperville. Not on the levels of Chicago, but enough to satisfy. Boring housing stock? Maybe in the new areas. Old areas of Naperville have housing stock just like any other Chicago burb (read: tons of options).

Quote:
Some may say riverwalk isn't interesting shops it's apple stores and eddie bauers. Metra access is great but so would being on a blue line 10 minutes from the city. Festivals and concerts Naperville is better than most burbs but not the city. Downtown is chain store commercialized and not interesting. Quarry is great but not lake michigan. Dining is pretty good but again Mongolian BBQ and Teds not interesting smaller places you can't get elsewhere.

Riverwalk not interesting? How so? Covered bridges, parks, woods, carillion, fountains, 9/11 memorial... how is that not interesting???? Yes there is an Apple Store and Eddie Bauer. Michigan Ave also has those things. Whats the point? Metra is faster and better than the Blue Line, hardly any shady characters, and is far cleaner. That's a bonus in my book! And of course Naperville wont hold a candle to Chicago for festivals, etc, that's a given! Why bother comparing? Downtown is rather commercialized, yes. But are you saying Chicago isn't? Once again, I don't understand your point. The quarry is better than Lake Michigan for many reasons (warmer, safer, cleaner), and I would prefer to swim there myself. It will be subjective, of course, but that's what I prefer. There are many restaurants in downtown Naperville that aren't massively commercialized, just so you know.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Traffic congestion? Its cake compared to Chicago. Distance isn't too horrible, IMO. Lack of interesting restaurants? That's where I disagree completely. There is ethnic food all over Naperville. Not on the levels of Chicago, but enough to satisfy. Boring housing stock? Maybe in the new areas. Old areas of Naperville have housing stock just like any other Chicago burb (read: tons of options).

Riverwalk not interesting? How so? Covered bridges, parks, woods, carillion, fountains, 9/11 memorial... how is that not interesting???? Yes there is an Apple Store and Eddie Bauer. Michigan Ave also has those things. Whats the point? Metra is faster and better than the Blue Line, hardly any shady characters, and is far cleaner. That's a bonus in my book! And of course Naperville wont hold a candle to Chicago for festivals, etc, that's a given! Why bother comparing? Downtown is rather commercialized, yes. But are you saying Chicago isn't? Once again, I don't understand your point. The quarry is better than Lake Michigan for many reasons (warmer, safer, cleaner), and I would prefer to swim there myself. It will be subjective, of course, but that's what I prefer. There are many restaurants in downtown Naperville that aren't massively commercialized, just so you know.
It's all subjective. I love going to Lake Michigan and not even Chicago but SW Michigan. I can paddle board, bring some beers with me, etc. My gf oftentimes in the summer suggests centennial beach but to me its too many kids, I don't think you can bring booze in, I can't paddleboard, etc so it's all about what each person is looking for.

In terms of distance in the grand scheme of things were not super far from Chicago but during rush hour it can take 45 minutes plus to get from south naperville just to I88 on Naper let alone into the city. Ethnic foodNaperville has no good thai food, alot of Indian places but I'm not going to find great Mexican food, argentinian food, and a lot of the stuff the city has to offer.

Housing stock, Naperville has some interesting older homes but still not as intersting as say Chicago or even Oak Park or Forest Park. In terms of Apple Store and stuff downtown I think most people who are Chicagoans don't frequent Michigan Avenue where as Napervillians do frequent downtown. Chicago has a more interesting mix of small record shops, boutiques etc but then again Chicago is comprised of so many neighborhoods and areas its not really far to compare

I'm not a huge city person so I prefer the burbs. I like that I can go for a run and not look over my shoulders, if I forget to lock my car or front door I'm not freaking out about it, I can find parking easy, if I have to pee I can actually walk into a store and pee without making a purchase. I'm just saying Naperville is heaven for some people and other peoples version of hell

Old 12-07-2017, 07:07 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,664,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Nothing like rich people with no taste and too much money to burn: Tear down hundred-year-old housing, build a ridiculous mansion, and sell at a loss after living there for six years and permanently changing the streetscape.

That's pretty much what has been happening for at least the last 5 years (if not longer) in downtown Naperville. People are buying houses, tearing them down and rebuilding mansions on the lot. Nothing new there.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:02 PM

222 posts, read 192,533 times
Has anyone drove through Hinsdale they have been knocking down houses and rebuilding for like twenty years

Old 12-08-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
That's pretty much what has been happening for at least the last 5 years (if not longer) in downtown Naperville. People are buying houses, tearing them down and rebuilding mansions on the lot. Nothing new there.
The same thing is going on in Downers Grove although personally I quite like the houses that they are putting up. They are for the most part a bit more modern without being cold, board and batton siding, metal roofs, really sharp looking houses IMHO

Old 12-13-2017, 04:46 PM

3,864 posts, read 6,769,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The only thing better than a new mansion built adjacent to Downtown Naperville? A new mansion built adjacent to The Loop. That mansion fits everything except age.
My buddy used to live across the street so I have seen this in person, many times. These pictures really don't do it justice. The house doesn't even have a normal sidewalk. They tore up the city sidewalk and replaced it with mosaic tiles.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
My buddy used to live across the street so I have seen this in person, many times. These pictures really don't do it justice. The house doesn't even have a normal sidewalk. They tore up the city sidewalk and replaced it with mosaic tiles.
I'm surprised the city would allow that

Old 12-19-2017, 10:11 AM

97 posts, read 143,127 times
Quote:
I'm surprised the city would allow that
I love most of what downtown Naperville has become, but the one thing that drives me a bit mad is the inconsistency in sidewalks. I live in the Historic District and some neighbors have modern, concrete sidewalks, others have modern, pavers brick, while others still have some very old and poorly maintained pavers brick, and a few have no side-walk at all. Aside from the rant, it seems like the village is pretty open in terms of what they will allow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs