Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2007, 07:56 PM

4 posts, read 78,962 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering taking a job in Des Plains. We have been looking online at the various suburbs and seem to like Elgin for it's home prices and community feel. How long is the commute from Elgin to Des Plaines? Via the Metra? Driving? Any information would be helpful!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 08:31 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Be prepared for lots of negative comments here about Elgin. Driving---in the middle of the night with no traffic--30 minutes or so, rush hour-closer to 45-60 minutes depending upon where you live in Elgin and traffic.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:33 PM

4 posts, read 78,962 times
Why do you think I will get lots of negative comments about Elgin? I'm curious....

Old 02-24-2007, 09:00 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I previously lived in Kane County, where Elgin is located. There are some nice areas of Elgin, but there are also some areas with crime problems, etc. If I recall correctly there are at least 2 school districts. The very southern portion of Elgin may attend a 3rd district (St. Charles) One of the districts is/was fairly poor in comparison to the other. Do a search on this forum for past posts about Elgin. It should answer some of your questions. I might also suggest a visit to the website of the local paper--the Kane County Chronicle. It should provide you with further info.

Old 02-28-2007, 09:22 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinggirl View Post
Why do you think I will get lots of negative comments about Elgin? I'm curious....
Primarily because there is a very large Hispanic population. To a lot of people the presence of minorities automatically means crime, lowered housing values, etc. To be fair, there are some poorer areas and some gang problems in spots. However, it's also a city that's probably past 100,000 people by now. There are different neighborhoods with different issues. So a knee jerk reaction is unfair, but you can probably expect it from some people.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Elgin is interesting. Parts of the city are decrepit and rotting, other parts are new and beautiful. There are really bad parts of town, really nice parts of town. There is lots of crime, I had a friend who lived on Blackhawk, in the nicer area of town, and had his place broken into, his car broken into, and his business he worked for was also broken into. There is a BIG gang problem in Elgin, with most of it in the central parts of town. Downtown is ok, but can be a bit hairy at night. There is the riverboat which is cool, and a really nice resatuarant next to it (I forget the name of it at the moment). Elgin is trying to clean up, but there are areas that Im afraid they wont be able to. I had a friend who lived on Mosley St., they could only handle one year, then they got out. They grew accustomed to hearing gunfire. No joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs