U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:15 PM

42 posts, read 24,894 times

Advertisements

OP: Have you considered AirBnB for temporary housing vs Extended Stays? I have a business partner who comes to the IL area a few times a year to stay for 2-3 months each time, and so we're often looking for places around the Chicago suburbs for him to stay at. Extended Stays are always tempting but we have been two three god-awful ones and get the impression that this is what one can expect from the majority. Instead, we've been able to find him even better AirBnB's for his budget ($60-$70/day) and finally have found an owner who can rent out on a more reliable, off-AirBnB basis to him for his visits. So maybe consider that as an option, and you'll have more choices outside of Romeoville. Nothing to unfairly sour you on an area/city after a whirlwind day of house-searching like coming back to a run-down, dingy, moldy room like many Extended Stays offer.

I don't think the public transportation system in the West and NW suburbs can compare to an urban public transit system like NYC's or Chicago's. I don't use it at all though as we have cars, but your choices in most towns is Metra or buses, then taxis or Uber/Lyft in the suburbs. I see plenty of cars with Uber/Lyft stickers so I don't think getting one of those will be difficult.

Have you considered Schaumburg or Oak Brook as bases to start your search from? Easier access to the major roads that will get you around to the cities you might be looking at, and those cities should offer you some more to do during the times when you're not house-searching (dining, shopping, entertainment, people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 06:15 PM

11,602 posts, read 13,849,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Hung View Post
OP:

I don't think the public transportation system in the West and NW suburbs can compare to an urban public transit system like NYC's or Chicago's. I don't use it at all though as we have cars, but your choices in most towns is Metra or buses, then taxis or Uber/Lyft in the suburbs. I see plenty of cars with Uber/Lyft stickers so I don't think getting one of those will be difficult.
No, not rapid transit, but the West suburbs have a strong commuter culture to rival Westchester County or Long Island. Commuters are proud of the line they ride and happy not to be driving downtown. I suppose the BNSF riders and the UPW riders could have some friendly disputes. Pace buses are not as popular, but even they attract mainstream riders. Warning: parking at the train stations is often scarce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or