U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2017, 05:40 PM
 
1 posts, read 988 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of moving to the Chicago suburbs, but not sure which area is a good match for myself. I plan on staying at a long-term stay hotel in Romeoville to familiarize myself with surrounding areas. Though I'm not sure if this is the area I want to be in - or even if Chicago suburbs is where I want to settle down for a bit. I picked Romeville because it has a good extended stay hotel rate for one month.

A bit about me: female, black, moving from urban area of NYC (but not a stranger to suburb life), there will be no children moving with me (they're all grown), and self-employed in the tech field so moving around frequently is not a problem. Being near public transportation or access to an Uber is important. I do know how to drive, but currently do not own a car as I really never needed one in NYC.

I can pretty much get along with anyone from any walk of life, but I'm also not blind to the fact that racism and bigotry still exists. I do not like living in a community that is OK with passersby or temporary stays from people that are not like people they are used to hanging around with, but quickly and openly exclude people from other races and sexual identities who want to make the community their home.

Any suggestions on areas that may be a good fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2017, 06:29 PM
 
15 posts, read 15,264 times
Reputation: 26
How much are you looking to spend on housing and what type of housing? Single family home, condo, apt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Chicago's South Suburbs
45 posts, read 126,637 times
Reputation: 46
I think you'd be happy in the south suburbs close to the city such as Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn, Burbank, Hometown, or even a littlw further south such as Blue Island.

If you go a little further north, you might like Berwyn and Cicero, but I would honestly stay south of I-55 because once you go north of I-55 and north of Cicero, you'll start seeing towns that has a lot of snobby people and overpriced homes.

Also, the further you go from the city, the suburban sprawl becomes bigger and bigger to the point where you'll need a car more amd more. That brings me back to my recommendation of the inner-ring suburbs in the south suburbs.

I lived in the south suburbs all my life and I love it. You have some of your predominantly white areas like Tinley Park, Orland Park, Palos Hills, Oak Lawn, etc, amd some of your predominantly black areas like Country Club Hills, Homewood, Flossmoor, Matteson, Markham,, etc, and predominantly hispanic areas like Summitt, and an area with a big mideastern population with delicious mideastern food like Bridgeview. And you got nice diverse areas like Evergreen Park, Blue Island, Oak Forest, etc.

The only areas I wouldnt recommend would be places like Harvey, Robbins, Dixmoor, etc unless you're just driving through. And under no circumstances should you ever go to Ford Heights. Ford Heights is like hell on earth, but as long as you stay away then you'll be okay. Ford Heights is so far to the south that you might never go there if you end up relocating to Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park, or Blue Island.

I think the north suburbs and west suburbs will feel more unwelcoming because of how many upper class people with entitled personalities living there. I for one always feel uncomfortable in the all-white suburbs in the north suburbs amd west suburbs, and I'm a white male! So i stay south of I-55.

The north suburbs gets all the fancy restaurants and businesses because companies from out of state find those areas more attractive, and it feeds into the elitist egos of the people living in the north suburbs and west suburbs. Meanwhile the south suburbs are more often neglected by comparison and it makes the southland look like a decaying rust belt city, but it results in more down-to-earth people in the south suburbs and that's the way I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 11:19 PM
 
28,019 posts, read 65,936,338 times
Reputation: 17481
Mod cut.

The fact is failed politics is rapidly causing even the nicer suburbs to the south to collapse under the combined weight of spiraling property taxes and disintegration of real estate values -- as home prices fall tax rates soar with no end in sight.

Any line that exists around I-55 is largely one based on historical land uses -- the heavier industries such as those that involved refining, milling, and chemical processing were often located farther from the more population dense areas to the north for the simple amount of land needed. Over the years concerns of how those industrial toxins might impact nearby homes have seen swaths of "no residence zones" and if the OP is staying in Romeoville (frankly a very odd choice for someone accustomed to public transit...) they can drive out to the refineries and chemical plants along I-55 to see /smell why they are still avoided.

The reality is even for folks without a need to send their kids to schools it makes sense to avoid towns with undesirable schools -- that undesirability is a huge negative and limits the pool of buyers and renters to those who are desperate and/or clueless, not the kind of neighbors anyone should choose. The decline of the south suburbs is striking and happening at an alarming pace -- even places that once were quite nice are facing huge challenges with the contraction of retail that is happening more because of the loss of good paying jobs than any sort of "internet e-commerce". Fact is the malls in the southern suburbs are rapidly declining even as the malls serving other areas to the west and north are doing quite well. Logic says that if it truly was "Amazon effect" the time conscious affluent shoppers would abandoning their local malls and that just is not the case.

Frankly if the OP is going to use their stay to form impressions of the area I can't think of a worse place to start than Romeoville, it has a bad mix of semi-boom era strip malls and tract housing developments that have languished for more than a decade. The sorts of truck stops and such that are nearest I-55 give the whole area a negative feel while the former quarries and such that are now used for landfills have a bad history of poltical insiders and EPA violations -- Landfill owner in middle of Blagojevich-Mell feud pleads guilty - Chicago Tribune

The towns that are listed above would not be part of anyone's list of "up and coming" places and frankly given the screenname of the person suggesting them it is not hard to believe they are intended to give the worst sort of impression to somebody that is probably not at all interested in any kind of diversity.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-28-2017 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Chicago's South Suburbs
45 posts, read 126,637 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
[snip]

The fact is failed politics is rapidly causing even the nicer suburbs to the south to collapse under the combined weight of spiraling property taxes and disintegration of real estate values -- as home prices fall tax rates soar with no end in sight.

Any line that exists around I-55 is largely one based on historical land uses -- the heavier industries such as those that involved refining, milling, and chemical processing were often located farther from the more population dense areas to the north for the simple amount of land needed. Over the years concerns of how those industrial toxins might impact nearby homes have seen swaths of "no residence zones" and if the OP is staying in Romeoville (frankly a very odd choice for someone accustomed to public transit...) they can drive out to the refineries and chemical plants along I-55 to see /smell why they are still avoided.

The reality is even for folks without a need to send their kids to schools it makes sense to avoid towns with undesirable schools -- that undesirability is a huge negative and limits the pool of buyers and renters to those who are desperate and/or clueless, not the kind of neighbors anyone should choose. The decline of the south suburbs is striking and happening at an alarming pace -- even places that once were quite nice are facing huge challenges with the contraction of retail that is happening more because of the loss of good paying jobs than any sort of "internet e-commerce". Fact is the malls in the southern suburbs are rapidly declining even as the malls serving other areas to the west and north are doing quite well. Logic says that if it truly was "Amazon effect" the time conscious affluent shoppers would abandoning their local malls and that just is not the case.

Frankly if the OP is going to use their stay to form impressions of the area I can't think of a worse place to start than Romeoville, it has a bad mix of semi-boom era strip malls and tract housing developments that have languished for more than a decade. The sorts of truck stops and such that are nearest I-55 give the whole area a negative feel while the former quarries and such that are now used for landfills have a bad history of poltical insiders and EPA violations -- Landfill owner in middle of Blagojevich-Mell feud pleads guilty - Chicago Tribune

The towns that are listed above would not be part of anyone's list of "up and coming" places and frankly given the screenname of the person suggesting them it is not hard to believe they are intended to give the worst sort of impression to somebody that is probably not at all interested in any kind of diversity.
Mod cut.

As for I-55, I drive I-55 from Joliet to the Lagrange Road exit all the time and I never see any of these "no-residence" zones you speak of.

I do agree that Romeoville is an odd place to scout Chicago suburbs though, cause Romerovills is a little too far out there.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-28-2017 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Off-topic and orphaned comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2017, 11:38 PM
 
Location: Chicago's South Suburbs
45 posts, read 126,637 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
[snip]
The fact is failed politics is rapidly causing even the nicer suburbs to the south to collapse under the combined weight of spiraling property taxes and disintegration of real estate values -- as home prices fall tax rates soar with no end in sight.

Any line that exists around I-55 is largely one based on historical land uses -- the heavier industries such as those that involved refining, milling, and chemical processing were often located farther from the more population dense areas to the north for the simple amount of land needed. Over the years concerns of how those industrial toxins might impact nearby homes have seen swaths of "no residence zones" and if the OP is staying in Romeoville (frankly a very odd choice for someone accustomed to public transit...) they can drive out to the refineries and chemical plants along I-55 to see /smell why they are still avoided.

The reality is even for folks without a need to send their kids to schools it makes sense to avoid towns with undesirable schools -- that undesirability is a huge negative and limits the pool of buyers and renters to those who are desperate and/or clueless, not the kind of neighbors anyone should choose. The decline of the south suburbs is striking and happening at an alarming pace -- even places that once were quite nice are facing huge challenges with the contraction of retail that is happening more because of the loss of good paying jobs than any sort of "internet e-commerce". Fact is the malls in the southern suburbs are rapidly declining even as the malls serving other areas to the west and north are doing quite well. Logic says that if it truly was "Amazon effect" the time conscious affluent shoppers would abandoning their local malls and that just is not the case.

Frankly if the OP is going to use their stay to form impressions of the area I can't think of a worse place to start than Romeoville, it has a bad mix of semi-boom era strip malls and tract housing developments that have languished for more than a decade. The sorts of truck stops and such that are nearest I-55 give the whole area a negative feel while the former quarries and such that are now used for landfills have a bad history of poltical insiders and EPA violations -- Landfill owner in middle of Blagojevich-Mell feud pleads guilty - Chicago Tribune

The towns that are listed above would not be part of anyone's list of "up and coming" places and frankly given the screenname of the person suggesting them it is not hard to believe they are intended to give the worst sort of impression to somebody that is probably not at all interested in any kind of diversity.
And who's to say anyone wants to live in an "up and coming" place??? Why waste your money on an expensive place that is overpriced due to hype when you can save money amd get a better value elsewhere. Paying top dollar for a home and saddling yourself with a maxed-out mortgage is foolish.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-28-2017 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Brookfield
272 posts, read 166,559 times
Reputation: 280
Hoffman Estates may be a better bet than Romeoville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
4,473 posts, read 2,942,568 times
Reputation: 4800
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrl21 View Post
How much are you looking to spend on housing and what type of housing? Single family home, condo, apt?
^ This matters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideWhiteTrash View Post
And who's to say anyone wants to live in an "up and coming" place??? Why waste your money on an expensive place that is overpriced due to hype when you can save money amd get a better value elsewhere. Paying top dollar for a home and saddling yourself with a maxed-out mortgage is foolish.
My first thought is for the schools, but OP said her kids are grown and already flown the coop so that's not a deciding factor. Honestly, I'd consider a few of the South suburbs if I didn't have kids and was looking for cheap housing. Homewood and Flossmoor are still decent areas and have a Metra station. Parts of Glenwood are still okay and close to the Homewood Metra. A few areas of Chicago Heights may also be an option for OP. It's unfortunate that the South burbs have fallen so hard because ~50 years ago, they were all a really nice place to live.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 12-28-2017 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2017, 03:51 PM
 
3,684 posts, read 5,282,958 times
Reputation: 1995
How did you pick Romeoville. Its almost not a real suburb...too far away. There are better places to pick unless you have a specific reason to go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2018, 08:38 AM
 
546 posts, read 487,979 times
Reputation: 287
Depends on your budget and your purposes/how frequently you use public transit, but the Beverly neighborhood on the South Side might be decent fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top