Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 12:22 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times

Advertisements

At this point this is just an idea not necessarily something I'm going to act on but was curious to hear from anyone who's added a backyard studio, garage or shed in their backyard.

I recently downsized from a 3000 sq ft house into about a 1000 square foot house. I'm definitely missing some of the space for everything from storage to having some room for workout equipment and maybe some hobbies.

Obviously cost is going to depend a lot on size of a structure as well as if there's electric, plumbing, etc.

Basically what I'm looking to do is put some type of outbuilding in my backyard to be used as storage, to put my workout equipment in and maybe do some hobbies like woodworking or screenprinting and other stuff like that.

I'm in Downers. I already have a 1 car garage. I'm looking at adding kind of a she shed / studio in the backyard. Don't need plumbing. I already have electric in the backyard for a hot tub and a pond so I could just tap into that myself and run a space heating and hookup some music or whatever in a shed or studio. Would probably be looking at something maybe 10x15 or there abouts.

Curious from anyone else who's done a project like this. Is it difficult to get approval from the city and does a shed versus garage versus outbuilding have any bearing on making it easier? Also if anyone wouldn't mind sharing costs of their project I'd be curious to hear that as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 12:29 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
At this point this is just an idea not necessarily something I'm going to act on but was curious to hear from anyone who's added a backyard studio, garage or shed in their backyard.

I recently downsized from a 3000 sq ft house into about a 1000 square foot house. I'm definitely missing some of the space for everything from storage to having some room for workout equipment and maybe some hobbies.

Obviously cost is going to depend a lot on size of a structure as well as if there's electric, plumbing, etc.

Basically what I'm looking to do is put some type of outbuilding in my backyard to be used as storage, to put my workout equipment in and maybe do some hobbies like woodworking or screenprinting and other stuff like that.

I'm in Downers. I already have a 1 car garage. I'm looking at adding kind of a she shed / studio in the backyard. Don't need plumbing. I already have electric in the backyard for a hot tub and a pond so I could just tap into that myself and run a space heating and hookup some music or whatever in a shed or studio. Would probably be looking at something maybe 10x15 or there abouts.

Curious from anyone else who's done a project like this. Is it difficult to get approval from the city and does a shed versus garage versus outbuilding have any bearing on making it easier? Also if anyone wouldn't mind sharing costs of their project I'd be curious to hear that as well
First, what do city and county codes specify? Start by verifying what is permitted by DG.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:25 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
First, what do city and county codes specify? Start by verifying what is permitted by DG.
I was more interested in hearing other peoples experiences to kind of form my decision. I see some things in the code about a shed can only be 10 feet but an auxilary building can be 17 feet. Sheds or out buildings 10x10 or less dont require permits if not on a slab.

City looks easy to deal with on a garage but I talked to a neighbor who said he fought with the city for 3 years before he could put his garage in. Doesn't even have to be downers just trying to get a feeling for costs and ideas of outbuildings, if one type would be cheaper or easier than another and anyones experience dealing with the city even if its not my city

Old 02-07-2018, 02:59 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I was more interested in hearing other peoples experiences to kind of form my decision. I see some things in the code about a shed can only be 10 feet but an auxilary building can be 17 feet. Sheds or out buildings 10x10 or less dont require permits if not on a slab.

City looks easy to deal with on a garage but I talked to a neighbor who said he fought with the city for 3 years before he could put his garage in. Doesn't even have to be downers just trying to get a feeling for costs and ideas of outbuildings, if one type would be cheaper or easier than another and anyones experience dealing with the city even if its not my city
The problem is local ordinances do vary. Really, only DG would apply other than a very generalized discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs