U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2018, 08:41 AM
 
Location: New York City
18 posts, read 14,493 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
My bad- you’re right. All I know about rent control is what I’ve learned from reruns of Friends. All our NYC friends own.

That being said, how low can it actually go on the Upper East side?
My building is somewhat rent stabilized. I have lived in the building for over 17 years.

I also know there is low income housing in NYC. I don't know much about it. All I know, is that an old neighbor of mine now lives in an UES building and is paying $600 something a month for 2 bedrooms. I think the usual rent, when not enrolled in the low income thing, is a little over $7,000.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2018, 09:40 AM
 
17 posts, read 22,244 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy217 View Post
I know everyone here bashes the south suburbs, but Homewood/Flossmoor is a good diverse areas with good/decent schools. Many homes in that budget and the market is for buyers now!
Lol! How is it that you said Homewood/Flossmoor and didn't get a million naysayers coming out the woodworks?

I'll second this, but you know I live in Flossmoor so I am a little biased. There are some high property taxes in Flossmoor for sure but you can definitely find areas or homes where taxes are on par with the rest of IL. I love the diverse community and the housing stock here and people honestly care about one another. Good luck with your search!


https://www.redfin.com/IL/Flossmoor/.../home/12881275

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Flossmoor/.../home/12875329

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Homewood/1.../home/12907332

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Flossmoor/.../home/12849743
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 09:45 AM
 
4,018 posts, read 2,841,177 times
Reputation: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
My bad- you’re right. All I know about rent control is what I’ve learned from reruns of Friends. All our NYC friends own.

That being said, how low can it actually go on the Upper East side?
It's not a question of how low it can go, but it's going to be the only affordable way for folks w/o stratospheric income to stay put/enjoy amenities/avoid long commutes. The NYC sub-forums can probably let you know the actual rents of current upper east side residents

More info on some of the specifics:

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/4/13/1526...-tips-new-york
*see links below step 4

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/8/28/1621...g-rent-control
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 09:57 AM
 
4,018 posts, read 2,841,177 times
Reputation: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
My building is somewhat rent stabilized. I have lived in the building for over 17 years.

I also know there is low income housing in NYC. I don't know much about it. All I know, is that an old neighbor of mine now lives in an UES building and is paying $600 something a month for 2 bedrooms. I think the usual rent, when not enrolled in the low income thing, is a little over $7,000.
I can only imagine what a lot of NYC residents think when they see people complain about the 'high COL' in Chicago. We have so many good choices here by comparison.

Make sure you look at commute options for your husband from the downtown train end points and his office. While Metra is a great way to get downtown from the burbs, CTA may actually get him closer if you found something closer in with EL access. YMMV.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 11:22 AM
 
Location: New York City
18 posts, read 14,493 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I can only imagine what a lot of NYC residents think when they see people complain about the 'high COL' in Chicago. We have so many good choices here by comparison.

Make sure you look at commute options for your husband from the downtown train end points and his office. While Metra is a great way to get downtown from the burbs, CTA may actually get him closer if you found something closer in with EL access. YMMV.
Yes, I agree. I should look at suburbs with CTA access
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 03:20 PM
 
255 posts, read 258,075 times
Reputation: 559
Generally speaking you are way better off living close to a Metra than CTA. It is a much faster train and is more reliable and on-time. And because it is faster, you can live further away while still having a reasonable commute time.

Consider looking at Des Plaines and Mt Prospect. There are quite a few houses in your budget range, even within reasonable distance of the Metra.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 03:41 PM
 
2,301 posts, read 1,300,228 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
Generally speaking you are way better off living close to a Metra than CTA. It is a much faster train and is more reliable and on-time. And because it is faster, you can live further away while still having a reasonable commute time.

Consider looking at Des Plaines and Mt Prospect. There are quite a few houses in your budget range, even within reasonable distance of the Metra.
Taking Metra from Des Plaines or Mount Prospect will cost $1,175 more per year than taking CTA on a $100 monthly pass (or is it $105 now?). This of course excludes the cost of parking. I would imagine with their budget, they probably wouldn't find something within walking distance of the Metra station, maybe not CTA either.


That being said, the inner ring suburbs with CTA access tend to have more expensive housing.


You may find the overall package you're getting in a town accessible by Metra is cheaper as a whole, but I wanted to point out the price difference.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,286 posts, read 5,096,943 times
Reputation: 4089
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Taking Metra from Des Plaines or Mount Prospect will cost $1,175 more per year than taking CTA on a $100 monthly pass (or is it $105 now?). This of course excludes the cost of parking. I would imagine with their budget, they probably wouldn't find something within walking distance of the Metra station, maybe not CTA either.


That being said, the inner ring suburbs with CTA access tend to have more expensive housing.


You may find the overall package you're getting in a town accessible by Metra is cheaper as a whole, but I wanted to point out the price difference.
Des Plaines and Mt Prospect are both zone D on Metra. So, the difference is $76.25/month or $915/year. CTA monthly passes are $105/month and the zone D Metra passes are $181.25/month.

As someone who has commuted almost entirely via public transit for the past 13 years I can say without hesitation that Metra is well worth the extra money. It's so much more comfortable and just a better experience. I don't worry about having headphones on or about being robbed of my phone. I always get to sit. There's really no comparison. I used the CTA for 5 years and I don't ever miss it.

For the OP, I think Des Plaines could be worth checking out. These are walking distance to the Metra station:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Des-Plaine.../home/13667621

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Des-Plaine.../home/13666079
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,286 posts, read 5,096,943 times
Reputation: 4089
OP, you might also want to consider Wooddale.

You aren't going to get the best schools the area has to offer if you require a single family house with a budget of $250,000. That's just reality. So, you have to decide if schools or a single family house are most important to you.

But, assuming you stick with the house, there are some options in Wooddale that are walking distance to the train:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wood-Dale/.../home/18167460

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wood-Dale/.../home/18168878

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wood-Dale/.../home/18168512

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wood-Dale/.../home/18172016

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Wood-Dale/.../home/18171773

I'm not saying that these houses are amazing or anything; they are just what is available in your price range(ish).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2018, 09:23 PM
 
2,301 posts, read 1,300,228 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Des Plaines and Mt Prospect are both zone D on Metra. So, the difference is $76.25/month or $915/year. CTA monthly passes are $105/month and the zone D Metra passes are $181.25/month.

As someone who has commuted almost entirely via public transit for the past 13 years I can say without hesitation that Metra is well worth the extra money. It's so much more comfortable and just a better experience. I don't worry about having headphones on or about being robbed of my phone. I always get to sit. There's really no comparison. I used the CTA for 5 years and I don't ever miss it.

For the OP, I think Des Plaines could be worth checking out. These are walking distance to the Metra station:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Des-Plaine.../home/13667621

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Des-Plaine.../home/13666079
My math was off, but at the same time that's still a good chunk of money if their budget for a house is $250k.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top