U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:20 AM

7 posts, read 5,857 times

Advertisements

Dear all.
I would like to ask your opinion about a possible personal situation.
We are a Spanish couple with a baby of almost 2 years old that has the oportunite to relocate from spain to Plainfield by work offer.
We dont know too much from this place! And live is Spain is totally diferent to live in US...
Please could you recomend me safe place to live, good schools for my baby, nursery and many other things that you could be important for us.
Health, vets (we have two cats), shops, food, or any other topic.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 11:06 AM

28,449 posts, read 72,693,835 times
Plainfield itself is very safe but extremely "sprawl-ish" in a way that may make it very different than even other nice suburbs that are just a bit of drive. It is assumed that you will have at least one car to get to work and it may make sense to consider a home near the core of Naperville so that mom and 2 yr old can use transit & walking to get around. The alternative would be two cars so mom can avoid being isolated...

Don't know your budget but this is the type of home I would suggest -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/18050490

There are also rentals and condos to consider.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:12 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,461,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhen View Post
Dear all.
I would like to ask your opinion about a possible personal situation.
We are a Spanish couple with a baby of almost 2 years old that has the oportunite to relocate from spain to Plainfield by work offer.
We dont know too much from this place! And live is Spain is totally diferent to live in US...
Please could you recomend me safe place to live, good schools for my baby, nursery and many other things that you could be important for us.
Health, vets (we have two cats), shops, food, or any other topic.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Plainfield doesn’t appeal to the Spaniards I know in Chicago.

The suggestion of perhaps Naperville perhaps is a step in the right direction, but depending on budget and desired maximum commute times/options, looking in the city might make sense.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:29 AM

I have been reading about Naperville and looks nice...some people said also about joliet.
I guess that the idea to have all things more or less quite near is very important for us...as you said the posibility of going for a walk my wife and my baby is important, and have the school not to far is a good point. ..here in Spain we have medical outpatient food shops, public transport just 5 or 10 minutes walking, we know the there is not the same but we try to find something similar and very safe, the city where we live is very, very safe and we are not used to the new culture is a big challenge. ..

Old 05-01-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Plainfield doesn’t appeal to the Spaniards I know in Chicago.

The suggestion of perhaps Naperville perhaps is a step in the right direction, but depending on budget and desired maximum commute times/options, looking in the city might make sense.
And what they would like? Do you know any opinion of them?

Old 05-01-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhen View Post
And what they would like? Do you know any opinion of them?
Coincidentally, yes

My friend's wife from Algeciras loved living downtown (Lincoln Park & other parts of north side) when kids were still young), but eventually relocated to Evanston. Easier access to city/shopping/restaurants/cultural things to do via public transportation w/ access to lakefront.

Other friends from Barcelona (w/ spouse from smallish town near Murcia) moved further out from renting in the west loop area to the NW burbs where there are good schools/larger lots w/ horse riding, but still nearby Metra to get to city/jobs/sports.

You will have to get used to how spread out things are here tend to be- that's the catch. And also how many car trips we typically make for stupid stuff.

Skip Joliet since it's even worse than Plainfield, although there is Metra access to Chicago in Joliet. If your goal is to stay suburban and close to work in Plainfield, Naperville may have more to offer.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:34 AM

thank you soooo much for your opinion...I guess Naperville is the right direction...
thanks a lot.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:40 PM

1,089 posts, read 677,425 times
Also recommend Naperville - it's shooting distance to Plainfield, and a very nice town. Try to live as close to the downtown area as your budget allows. The downtown is spectacular for a suburb. If you can do that, you'd probably really like it.

Plainfield is mostly farms and tract housing - you need a car to go anywhere. I'd be bored to death in Plainfield, though their downtown has improved.

Do not recommend Joliet unless that's all you can afford.

Whatever you do, aim north of your workplace, not south.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:39 AM

thank you sooo much
I think Naperville is the best option I also found this information:
https://www.safehome.org/safest-cities/il/
https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...lle-dupage-il/
Looks like a little bit expensive...

Kind Regards,

Old 05-03-2018, 10:42 AM

Yes, it can be. Popular areas with amenities tend to be like that.

Since only you know your budget, have a look around at apartments.com to get more of a relative sense of what’s out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or