Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 07:33 AM

4 posts, read 4,314 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody! I'm moving to the Chicago area from Michigan for a job in Buffalo Grove. I'm looking for some advice on where to live. Let me lay out all the facts and info to give you an idea of what I'm trying to figure out:

- I'm single and in my 40's...not a spring chicken anymore, but also have a desire to be where I can enjoy the city when I feel like
- However, I do realize the commute from the city can be a bear. I have a friend who I could find a place with to bring down costs (he works in the west loop), and I've thought that living near a Metra stop would be ok as I could take that up (and my company provides a Metra shutte to and from)
- Complication - I have a dog. And while Chicago is a dog-friendly city with dog walkers and such, even with the Metra it feels like it's going to be an hour plus each way for that commute

So...do I live up near work (say Deerfield or Northbrook) and make it easier on my dog and just "commute to the city" when I want to hange out? Live somewhere in between like Skokie where I can have access to both the Metra and El and be either way in a manageable amount of time? Or do I say screw it and move downtown and figure it out. Mainly looking for thoughts from people who may actually be doing the kind of city to burbs commute and making it work. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 08:04 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,134 times
I don't know how much I'll be able to contribute as far as places to live (because I haven't been here that long) BUT I do work in buffalo grove half the week and work downtown half the week. I take the metra downtown from where I am in Elgin and then drive to buffalo grove to the office there.

However, if it was me I would personally not want to live in the city and commute to the suburbs for work especially if I could avoid living in cook county (and the utterly high taxes cook is known for). But the other thing that comes to mind is that if you're taking the metra from the city to the suburbs for work you'd be going the opposite direction of most commuters and as such I don't think you'd get to take advantage of express trains making your commute faster. The express trains run in the mornings from suburbs to city and in the evening from city to suburbs, so since you'd be going the opposite way I would think you wouldn't ever be able to use a time where an express was occuring, thus making your commute longer. If you live near a metra station (in the suburbs) you can always take the train into the city for a day trip but that would probably be most advantageous in my opinion.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:07 AM

768 posts, read 1,103,850 times
assuming GR = Grand Rapids... We are northville transplants from MI. The difference here are burbs are so much quieter as BIG CITY is center of almost all energy. In MI burbs had more going on...

in any case you will be North Shore if you end up in burbs - the big question to start is how much energy do you want and how often? you want 24/7 bars/restaurants/fests to meet/socialize with other singles or do you prefer a quieter scene?

Are you looking for a Ann Arbor? a Royal Oak? or a smaller town vibe further out like Jackson. Nothing in MI compares to big city/downtown Chicago life...

Last edited by JJski; 06-15-2018 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs