Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times

Advertisements

A 'very big cat' is on the loose in North Chicago, authorities say -- Agriculture, Lake County (Illinois) -- chicagotribune.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 AM

101 posts, read 386,053 times
Might be........

But probably a bobcat that's been hanging around Fermi Lab.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:59 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Still referring to the cat as a cougar. 7' long and weighing 300 ls. which makes no sense. Male cougars do grow to 7' in length but 175 lbs. is usually the top weight for them. More sightings according to the news.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
You know, part of the reason why I enjoy the outdoors up here so much is the fact that I dont have to worry about a goshdanged thing (wildlife wise) when Im out hiking or herping. Now with more and more cougars being sighted around here, and a burgeoning coyote community, Im feeling more and more on edge as I set off into the woods to hike.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 AM

101 posts, read 386,053 times
Steve-o, coyotes want absolutely nothing to do with humans. I'm sure it's ingrained in their psyche all the persecution they endured in the past.

And your chances of encountering a roaming young male cougar in this area is extremely slim. Although it appears the chances are increasing a little in the past couple years. Plenty of deer for them though.........

Old 03-31-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLUTZ View Post
Steve-o, coyotes want absolutely nothing to do with humans. I'm sure it's ingrained in their psyche all the persecution they endured in the past.

And your chances of encountering a roaming young male cougar in this area is extremely slim. Although it appears the chances are increasing a little in the past couple years. Plenty of deer for them though.........
I know my chances are slim, but its still a bit spooky, especially at dusk when Im out hiking. More than once Ive had to hurry my pace after hearing coyotes in the near distance. I know they dont attack humans, but Im not gonna stick around to find out. Ive seen many of their fresh deer kills though, some so fresh that flies hadnt even began to congregate. Kinda spooky.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:41 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times
Man conquered the wood thousands of years ago. You can do the same!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 AM

I have seen some unidentified four legged forms on the prairie trail around glacial park and Mchenry. Also, on that same path last summer I was riding my bike, something chased me when I rode by. It growled and leaped at me and ran after me (I saw it sorta waiting all curled up and it pounced as I got near enough!). I pedalled so hard I almost had a heart attack!! It looked like a wild or rabid dog but I am not sure what it was! It freaked me out....I do hear what sounds like coyotes at night.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I have seen some unidentified four legged forms on the prairie trail around glacial park and Mchenry. Also, on that same path last summer I was riding my bike, something chased me when I rode by. It growled and leaped at me and ran after me (I saw it sorta waiting all curled up and it pounced as I got near enough!). I pedalled so hard I almost had a heart attack!! It looked like a wild or rabid dog but I am not sure what it was! It freaked me out....I do hear what sounds like coyotes at night.
Did you have to change your pants? I know I would have!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Did you have to change your pants? I know I would have!
I was really freaked out by it! It was kinda funny actually, how fast you can go when the ol' instincts kick in! I just remember how fast my heart was going! Was one of my better work-out days! Luckily the dog/wolf/coyote gave up as I tore out of there! It did seem as scared of me as I of it. It saw me coming and almost tripped me off my bike, fangs glaring, barking and growling but seemed to retreat once I got about 10 feet past it. Of course I did not slow down! Luckily it wasn't too far for me to get to an opening near the road and civilization.

It didn't really look like a normal dog, the way it was curled up and ready to pounce on me. It was kinda gray and brown, and all wild eyed! It was the size of a dog.

I sure would like to know what it was, and if there is a pack of wild dogs running around! I did see something there while driving home the other night. Looked like a large dog or wolf or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs