U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,740 times

Advertisements

Whenever I previously looked for information regarding safety in various suburbs south of Chicago, I would find too much conflicting information. This is mostly due to the fact that safety a lot of the time, is relative from person to person based on their experiences.

How would these towns be personally rated in a list from top to bottom based on safety?

Tinley Park, Orland Park, Orland Hills, Frankfort, Country Club Hills, Park Forest, Calumet City, Lansing, Olympia Fields, Burnham, Calumet Park, Blue Island, Dixmoor, Markham, South Holland, Matteson, Richton Park, Hazel Crest, Homewood, Dolton, Riverdale, University Park, Lynwood, Sauk Village, Phoenix, Evergreen Park

You can leave towns out if you are not familiar with them, or add more if you want (even Chicago neighborhoods). Discussion is fine, if not encouraged, but I don't want this thread to go too off topic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 02:57 PM

28,461 posts, read 75,137,154 times
In all honesty I would rely much more on the data that is compiled by official agencies than any sort of "relative person to person experience"... https://www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/C...LocalCrime.cfm

Old 07-20-2018, 03:47 PM

2,751 posts, read 1,362,692 times
In general among the south suburbs, I'd say the farther east you get, the less safe it is.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:50 AM

2,033 posts, read 622,946 times
I'd say that "relative" is the key word, depending on circumstances. For instance, there only a few south suburbs that I would feel uneasy driving through during the daytime - those are easy to spot as every third building is burned out, boarded up, or is a vacant lot, with very few open businesses and groups of young men hanging out on corners. I had a friend stopped and rousted by the cops in one of those towns at night because they took him for someone cruising for drugs (he wasn't, he was just taking a shortcut, but won't make that mistake again). Towns that I would hesitate walking through at night? The list just got way bigger, and my level of discomfort would go up in areas with a lot of Section 8 apartments, public housing, etc.. Is that a discriminatory viewpoint? Maybe, but my goal is to avoid becoming a crime victim - discrimination is what keeps one from getting sick from eating bad sushi, I prefer to call it "good judgement".

But my biggest "red flag" is the presence of burglar bars on business and residential doors and windows. Burglar bars are expensive to install and a pain to deal with, and their presence shows the property owner or resident has reason to believe that particular section of town experiences enough crime such that they are worth the expenditure. So, when I start seeing a bunch of steel gating, I know to keep my car doors locked, to keep a car length behind the next car at stoplights, keep both eyes open, etc.. I'd generally agree with BlueBars above, but street crime has been occurring in "safe" suburbs in recent years. I would consider my own town "safe", but there have been at least three shootings I can think of (car to car or car to pedestrian) in the last couple of years, so nowhere is immune.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:47 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,002,974 times
Really the only places in your list I would consider desirable would be Tinley, Orland, Frankfort, Oak Forest which you didn't mention and Evergreen Park. I would have 0 interest in living in any of the other places nor would I say they are desirable

Old 07-22-2018, 05:20 PM

2,033 posts, read 622,946 times
Most of the "least desirable" south suburbs are that way due to poverty. Robbins, Ford Heights, Phoenix, Posen, and Harvey are probably the most economically disadvantaged suburbs, followed by Markham, Dixmoor, South Holland, Chicago Heights, Riverdale, and Blue Island. But my personal experience is very dated, I used to hang out at Raceway Park in Blue Island, and at the time I was never "afraid" to visit there - same with Posen, we had friends that lived in the shadow of the tollway forever, and they were in an "island" of homes that nobody messed with. I just don't have any reason to go southeast anymore, and don't have current opinions of the areas. I recently worked with a guy who just purchased a new home in or near University Park/Riverdale, he's an ex-cop with small kids, so his comfort level with the area is obviously pretty high. The answer to the OP's query may be partially dependent on their race - being in a neighborhood where you are a minority may make you feel like a "target" (most of the towns listed above are majority African American / Hispanic).

Heading west from say, Cicero avenue puts you in more affluent neighborhoods (Oak Forest, Crestwood, Midlothian). Although these areas are more desirable, they have their own problems. Going further west (Orland, Tinley, Frankfort) provides further relief from personal and property crime. Personally, I hesitate to recommend "any" close-ring south suburb a desirable place to move to, the real estate taxes in many of the south suburbs are equal to near ten percent of real value - absolutely horrible. I'm within maybe seven or eight miles northeast of Robbins as the crow flies, and I'm paying over 3% of real value and the clock is ticking on my own exit, primarily due to taxes and politics (but that's a different thread).

Bur rather than relying on anecdotal experience, have you checked out poverty and crime statistics on C-D's mapping function? Lots of good information in there if you zoom into specific areas. Good Luck!

Old 07-23-2018, 06:52 AM

196 posts, read 205,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Most of the "least desirable" south suburbs are that way due to poverty. Robbins, Ford Heights, Phoenix, Posen, and Harvey are probably the most economically disadvantaged suburbs, followed by Markham, Dixmoor, South Holland, Chicago Heights, Riverdale, and Blue Island. But my personal experience is very dated, I used to hang out at Raceway Park in Blue Island, and at the time I was never "afraid" to visit there - same with Posen, we had friends that lived in the shadow of the tollway forever, and they were in an "island" of homes that nobody messed with. I just don't have any reason to go southeast anymore, and don't have current opinions of the areas. I recently worked with a guy who just purchased a new home in or near University Park/Riverdale, he's an ex-cop with small kids, so his comfort level with the area is obviously pretty high. The answer to the OP's query may be partially dependent on their race - being in a neighborhood where you are a minority may make you feel like a "target" (most of the towns listed above are majority African American / Hispanic).

Heading west from say, Cicero avenue puts you in more affluent neighborhoods (Oak Forest, Crestwood, Midlothian). Although these areas are more desirable, they have their own problems. Going further west (Orland, Tinley, Frankfort) provides further relief from personal and property crime. Personally, I hesitate to recommend "any" close-ring south suburb a desirable place to move to, the real estate taxes in many of the south suburbs are equal to near ten percent of real value - absolutely horrible. I'm within maybe seven or eight miles northeast of Robbins as the crow flies, and I'm paying over 3% of real value and the clock is ticking on my own exit, primarily due to taxes and politics (but that's a different thread).

Bur rather than relying on anecdotal experience, have you checked out poverty and crime statistics on C-D's mapping function? Lots of good information in there if you zoom into specific areas. Good Luck!
South Holland does NOT belong on the same list as Markham and Dixmoor. Also, University Park and Riverdale are not even that close to each other. University Park is in Will County around 220th and Western. Riverdale is 138th and Halsted. That’s a great distance a part.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:08 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,298,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Really the only places in your list I would consider desirable would be Tinley, Orland, Frankfort, Oak Forest which you didn't mention and Evergreen Park. I would have 0 interest in living in any of the other places nor would I say they are desirable
Generally agree with this. Oak Lawn and the Paloses are also not mentioned that I would add to the above list. Worth, Crestwood, Burbank and Chicago Ridge are also safe but I wouldn't consider desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs