Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM

35 posts, read 71,797 times

Advertisements

My friend who lives in the city (but NW part) suggested the NW suburbs based on where his new job would be. I probably shouldn't say the name of the company, but it is near the Chicago Board of Trade....so I guess it is considered downtown.

She herself lives in Forest Glen I think, but sends her kids to Catholic schools. She said Forest Glen pretty much feels like a suburb to her. But I guess she doesn't care for the city schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 01:54 PM

35 posts, read 71,797 times
My husband just told me $600k with 12K taxes give or take.
Not sure if that's helpful.

I have liked a lot of homes in Downers Grove that I've seen on zillow so far.

Husband said he is looking for a one hour or less commute door to door. Is that do-able with Downer's Grove?

Thanks for your patience. I've never even been to Chicago before, now I'm possibly going to be living there. The closest I've been to Chicago is Detroit, MI.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:03 PM

21,927 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Where ever you decide, I would not buy a house right off the bat. I think people do that and then end up not liking where they moved. Are you going to be able to come here and look around first?

Old 09-17-2018, 02:04 PM

21,927 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Could going higher on property taxes but finding a better school district that is public be an option? If you don't pay for private, you might have a bigger budget for your house and taxes?

Old 09-17-2018, 02:06 PM

768 posts, read 1,103,850 times
He is better off getting a line to union (board of trade is 8min walk) from there.

Double check exact location with union vs. ogilvie walk time. That will help narrow your town search down...

So calc 8min walk(union to work walk) +metra commute(downers express is 30min for example) +walk to station (hopefully you can score 8mins or less here also) so preferably from that new home thats also station walkable... try to avoid drive commute - traffic is painful here!

I am also a transplant from MI so if you need town comparisons Mi to IL - I can weigh in with my oppinions.

Last edited by JJski; 09-17-2018 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
He is better off getting a line to union (board of trade is 8min walk) from there.
Agreed. That's a straight shot down Jackson

Old 09-17-2018, 02:26 PM

529 posts, read 647,382 times
I thought I posted this already...must have gotten deleted?? but Oak Park, Riverside, Lagrange, Western Springs and Hinsdale could be considered along with Downers Grove. Commute from any of those areas will be under the 45 minute mark and are all very nice communities.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnsey View Post
My friend who lives in the city (but NW part) suggested the NW suburbs based on where his new job would be. I probably shouldn't say the name of the company, but it is near the Chicago Board of Trade....so I guess it is considered downtown.

She herself lives in Forest Glen I think, but sends her kids to Catholic schools. She said Forest Glen pretty much feels like a suburb to her. But I guess she doesn't care for the city schools.

If she doesn't want to send her kids to public schools there, that should tell you something. OTOH, the area around Forest Glen (especially Sauganash) is quite nice. The money you would save on property taxes would instead be spent on private schools that aren't as good as many of the suburban districts. YMMV.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnsey View Post
My husband just told me $600k with 12K taxes give or take.
Not sure if that's helpful.

I have liked a lot of homes in Downers Grove that I've seen on zillow so far.

Husband said he is looking for a one hour or less commute door to door. Is that do-able with Downer's Grove?

Thanks for your patience. I've never even been to Chicago before, now I'm possibly going to be living there. The closest I've been to Chicago is Detroit, MI.

Extremely helpful. You have a lot of great choices (W & NW suburbs).

I really like DG.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:56 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
I see... on this thread you mention that he will be working in the Loop.

The recommendations on this thread are so far apart and disparate. You've made no mention of what other qualities you are looking for beyond reputable schools, a turnkey home under $600k, lower property taxes, and a 45-minute rail commute for the husband (people are assuming he will work in the Loop area and not the Near North Side, by the way). Do you want to be near the lakefront? Are you looking for something walkable (walk to train, stores, parks, schools, etc.)? Do you want an established neighborhood or a newer development? Open lands? And so on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs