Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 04:49 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times

Advertisements

Also, be careful of towns in Lake County. I have heard the property taxes are even higher than Cook County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 04:59 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Also, be careful of towns in Lake County. I have heard the property taxes are even higher than Cook County.
Mill rates vary widely depending on the municipality and taxing district. However, among North Shore communities, Lake Forest and Lake Bluff have the lowest effective residential rates. The median effective residential rate in suburban Cook County is higher than those in Lake, DuPage, and Will.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:30 AM

939 posts, read 2,379,091 times
Yes, you and your kids will fit in, and yes, occasionally you will feel out of place. Overall, I have enjoyed living here (did not grow up here) but sometimes the materialism is annoying. However, we would have found that same atmosphere in almost any of the towns we would have considered living (looked in several Western suburbs also but ultimately wanted to be near the lake).

The poster who talks about his neighbors who snub their noses at U of I but are somehow ok with other state schools, that's laughable, but predictable for some people. Those are the same ones that value public displays of wealth (real or pretend).

The long and short of it is, you and your kids will most likely feel comfortable in Winnetka or Glencoe, or the other suburbs mentioned, and you'll gravitate toward people who are like-minded. There will be plenty of them in any of the communities you are contemplating.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:25 PM

115 posts, read 291,296 times
I currently have kids in the New Trier district. I drive and pick up my kids to and from school and have never seen a kid driving a new high end vehicle. Occasionally I see what appears to be a hand me down Mercedes or BMW but an older model, presumably Dad's or Grandpa's old car. I mostly see Jeeps and other mid priced American cars. Some Hondas.

None of our kids have their own car so they use ours, which may be off putting to some. But anyone who really looks and sees the car magnets knows mine is a mom-mobile. One of my kids didn't care that she didn't have her own car because she could always take one of ours. But the other considers it almost child abuse that she doesn't have a Jeep. It just depends on your kids.

Some people like to think of the North Shore as an elitist place where the streets are paved with gold and there are gates keeping the "underlings" out. This couldn't be further from the truth. We've found people here to be welcoming and friendly. It's definitely easier to meet people thru your kids' school and activities but even when we moved within the village and our kids were out of elementary school we felt welcomed. Our neighbor was so sweet and had a party to introduce us to everyone on the block.

I think you'll fit in fine. There are snobs everywhere but I don't think money has a lot to do with it. Some people just want to think they're better than everyone else. Good luck with your home search!

Old 09-27-2018, 08:40 PM

115 posts, read 291,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 847mom View Post

I like Glencoe and I have family members who live there, but it wouldn't be for me. One of my other family members lived there and could not wait to move. However, I cannot say what would fit you as everyone is so different.
847mom- We're looking at a few houses in Glencoe. If you have any insights you can share I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Sarah

Old 09-28-2018, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah H. View Post
I currently have kids in the New Trier district. I drive and pick up my kids to and from school and have never seen a kid driving a new high end vehicle. Occasionally I see what appears to be a hand me down Mercedes or BMW but an older model, presumably Dad's or Grandpa's old car. I mostly see Jeeps and other mid priced American cars. Some Hondas.
I firmly believe that the OP can develop a sense of belonging on the North Shore. That being said, while it indeed is not the norm, I think you must be very unobservant to claim that you have never seen a kid driving a new high-end vehicle near New Trier High School. I saw it regularly growing up and briefly attending New Trier High School.

My parents thought it entirely appropriate to order a $74k Mercedes-Benz SUV for me when I turned 17. I was not the only one who had this privilege. To this day, I see young people driving both late model and older model Land Rovers, luxury roadsters, Mercedes, BMWs, etc. on a regular basis across the North Shore. It becomes especially pronounced in the summer months. Sure, these cars often belong to the parents or the 'family.' However, to children, they might as well belong to their peers.

As for parents bestowing this largesse on their children, I think it is fine. I think it is natural for parents to care about their children's' safety, comfort, and confidence. However, I also think that in many cases the root of this can be a dysfunctional family dynamic (parental guilt, appeasement, negotiation, etc.). Again, the OP would almost certainly be fine with the right expectations. However, let us not pretend that these stereotypes are without basis.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:53 AM

768 posts, read 1,102,864 times
I beat up the north shores a lot on these boards because I believe the beaches are too private. Probably owned by the folks you reference - but i have to defend the NS here. In any of the better well to do IL neighborhoods - you will find those big $$$$$ elements because they are just outside an amazing big world destination city. But you will also find many more down to earth people in same communities.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:50 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah H. View Post

I don't think you are looking at the right times or perhaps in the wrong part of the parking lot(s). Not the majority vehicles, no- but you will typically see a few new Lexus, Acura or Audi peppered in too. YMMV.

Quote:
Some people like to think of the North Shore as an elitist place where the streets are paved with gold and there are gates keeping the "underlings" out. This couldn't be further from the truth. We've found people here to be welcoming and friendly. It's definitely easier to meet people thru your kids' school and activities but even when we moved within the village and our kids were out of elementary school we felt welcomed. Our neighbor was so sweet and had a party to introduce us to everyone on the block.

I think you'll fit in fine. There are snobs everywhere but I don't think money has a lot to do with it. Some people just want to think they're better than everyone else. Good luck with your home search!

Exactly

Old 09-28-2018, 11:58 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
My parents thought it entirely appropriate to order a $74k Mercedes-Benz SUV for me when I turned 17.
Quote:
As for parents bestowing this largesse on their children, I think it is fine. I think it is natural for parents to care about their children's' safety, comfort, and confidence. However, I also think that in many cases the root of this can be a dysfunctional family dynamic (parental guilt, appeasement, negotiation, etc.). Again, the OP would almost certainly be fine with the right expectations. However, let us not pretend that these stereotypes are without basis.

Really? For me at least, it seems slightly warped at that level.

Buy the kid a used Honda/Toyota and make them learn how to take care of it. Throw the extra money you didn't spend on a luxury vehicle and teach them how to invest and/or manage their money (etc.).

Old 09-29-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Really? For me at least, it seems slightly warped at that level.

Buy the kid a used Honda/Toyota and make them learn how to take care of it. Throw the extra money you didn't spend on a luxury vehicle and teach them how to invest and/or manage their money (etc.).
I was a terrific kid, I wanted it, and the truck wasn't especially showy. It did attract some attention, most of it was positive. However, there were a couple of kids who told me that, "Mercedes are cheap" and another told one of my friends that it was less expensive than some other car. I still have it in my stable while other vehicles have come and gone. I call it the party bus.

I was taught to track stock prices in the 4th grade. The instructor gave me Heinz. My parents gave me a 'practice portfolio' sometime in middle school. I remember that I practically lost all of the money in '08.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs