U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most desirable Chicagoland suburb?
Winnetka 18 15.13%
Wilmette 5 4.20%
The Barringtons 10 8.40%
Hinsdale 12 10.08%
Western Springs 1 0.84%
Oak Brook 0 0%
Oak Park 15 12.61%
Naperville 17 14.29%
Evanston 11 9.24%
Kenilworth 7 5.88%
Glencoe 6 5.04%
Glenview 5 4.20%
Northbrook 4 3.36%
La Grange 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 11:31 AM

6,357 posts, read 6,912,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
One thing to note is that Northeast Evanston and SouthWest Wilmette (or Wilmetto as someone cattily called it in this sub) are near identical, and in many cases, walking distance from each other. They have similar proximity to I94 and to both Metra and CTA and to Evanston downtown (further East). Which is that they are a 10 minute car ride away from all these.

Interestingly enough, SouthWest Wilmette and West Wilmette in general has significantly lower house prices than NorthEast Evanston and is surprisingly affordable considering the train/highway connectivity and very high quality schools and proximity to the lake and to downtown Evanston (which is a legit downtown in its own right and often dissuades you from going to Chicago downtown for things like good eating/drinking options). And is also fairly diverse and liberal, and very safe in general.
Interesting, asliarun. I sort of group west Wilmette differently. Prior to WWII, areas north of the city that were still largely rural had already been gridded with the extension of the Chicago grid through first Lincolnwood and right north, Skokie.

This would put those two suburbs on a straight path north from such Chicago neighborhoods as Albany Park, Peterson Park, and Hollywood Park. During this era, the far North Side, from the lakefront (Rogers Pk) west to the three communities I mentioned were heavily Jewish.

It was after the war with the new suburban development occurring nation wide, that the northward movement from those three Chicago "parks" moved into Lincolnwood and, far more famously, Skokie. Jews arguably were the first ethnic group of suburban Skokie (although the old farming community of Niles Center was basically German).

You can see the the commonality of housing in Lincolnwood and Skokie. Lots of smaller homes that weren't bungalows, but shared a similar footprint. Both towns had (have?) 1950s suburban written all over them.

The extension of the Albany Park/Hollywood Park/Peterson Park "exodus" (pun intended) north to Lincolnwood, Skokie......and west Wilmette. (and though the demographics were different, development and housing in west Evanston on either side of Dodge, fits nicely with Lincolnwood, Skokie, and west Wilmette.

Wilmette is a strange mixture of old, well off, streetcar North Shore suburb to the east and the post war tract homes of the growth era of suburbia.

Along the North Shore, two towns extended significantly westward from the lake to hold the open land that became the houses of the Levittown era. Wilmette, as noted, and Highland Park. In both you will see such housing.

One other NS town extended westward, Lake Forest, but its western development happened much later in time and by the time it started, that was valuable land and part of a most prestigious community. Thus west Lake Forest might have innumerable homes that are part of planned developments by one builder, but no one in their right mind would call these estates tract homes. Lake Forest has the wealth spread east to west, far more so that Wilmette and Highland Park.

I can see your point quite well when you say, "One thing to note is that Northeast Evanston and SouthWest Wilmette are near identical," All of us have our only ideas of where "boundaries" go. Where you say "northeast Evanston", I would be more inclined to say North Evanston and the parts of Wilmette that abut it from the lakefront to Crawford (Hunter) are much alike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 01:13 PM

254 posts, read 238,579 times
Thanks. That was very insightful. I actually meant to say North Evanston or NorthWest, not Northeast.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:24 PM

236 posts, read 352,854 times
Chicago suburbs have become less and less desirable as a whole due to the new tax law deduction limits and increasingly high property taxes.
Have friends in Clarendon Hills(charming area) and they say once kids are graduated out of high school, houses are for sale ASAP due to property taxes.

With polar vortex's and continued increasing property taxes, its hard to justify living there unless family, strong ties to area.

I love the Chi metro area, but Illinois has been trending down and even though I do not like the new Gov, hope he does something to improve situation.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:00 PM

1,758 posts, read 1,057,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Chicago suburbs have become less and less desirable as a whole due to the new tax law deduction limits and increasingly high property taxes.
Have friends in Clarendon Hills(charming area) and they say once kids are graduated out of high school, houses are for sale ASAP due to property taxes.

With polar vortex's and continued increasing property taxes, its hard to justify living there unless family, strong ties to area.

I love the Chi metro area, but Illinois has been trending down and even though I do not like the new Gov, hope he does something to improve situation.
You have a good point, but the 'burbs are still desirable for high income people who work in the area and who are raising kids. To be fair, while expensive, Chicago has some of the safest suburbs with some of the best schools in the nation, as well as quite a few that have really nice downtowns as well as natural beauty. Not to mention Metra access, which most of these good suburbs tend to have. I agree though; once the kids are out to the real world, the negatives begin to outweigh the positives for living in the Chicago suburbs, or really any suburban area outside of a major city.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
You have a good point, but the 'burbs are still desirable for high income people who work in the area and who are raising kids. To be fair, while expensive, Chicago has some of the safest suburbs with some of the best schools in the nation, as well as quite a few that have really nice downtowns as well as natural beauty. Not to mention Metra access, which most of these good suburbs tend to have. I agree though; once the kids are out to the real world, the negatives begin to outweigh the positives for living in the Chicago suburbs, or really any suburban area outside of a major city.
In agreement with everything above. The schools, safety, charming downtown's all have a great appeal to families. Now Clarendon Hills, Hinsdale, Northshore are the high end areas, thus extremely high property taxes. Most can afford the taxes, but many cannot because they either overspend or moved there for the schools.

Even those that can afford it do not like to see that amount of money not be deducted once limit of 10K is reached for most have 15- to 35K in these very wealthy suburbs.

Even in the fox valley, homes for 400-800K, there an enormous amounts for sale. Not as pricey as the weathier burbs, but filled with upper middle class who dont like a 15K tax bill on a 550K house.

The last 5-10 year I have just heard so much negative on Illinois. Sorry to kind of hijack the thread. Just hope it turn around.

In regards to most charming burbs? I would go with the Northshore area if money no issue. Very pretty and by the lake.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 AM

6,357 posts, read 6,912,454 times
Quote:
In agreement with everything above. The schools, safety, charming downtown's all have a great appeal to families. Now Clarendon Hills, Hinsdale, Northshore are the high end areas, thus extremely high property taxes. Most can afford the taxes, but many cannot because they either overspend or moved there for the schools.

Even those that can afford it do not like to see that amount of money not be deducted once limit of 10K is reached for most have 15- to 35K in these very wealthy suburbs.

Even in the fox valley, homes for 400-800K, there an enormous amounts for sale. Not as pricey as the weathier burbs, but filled with upper middle class who dont like a 15K tax bill on a 550K house.

The last 5-10 year I have just heard so much negative on Illinois. Sorry to kind of hijack the thread. Just hope it turn around.

In regards to most charming burbs? I would go with the Northshore area if money no issue. Very pretty and by the lake.
Although the poll results state otherwise, I would too and as such, I would give the edge to Evanston over Oak Park.....as Evanston comes with that North Shore location, the lakefront that is the basis of the North Shore, NU campus and a downtown which has the feel of a downtown more than any other in suburbia. On the flip side, Oak Park offers FLW and the historic home district and incredibley close access to downtown.

Edge, as edsg says, goes too Evanston.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:04 AM

1,765 posts, read 963,813 times
Quote:
Now Clarendon Hills, Hinsdale, Northshore are the high end areas, thus extremely high property taxes.
As I've stated previously, the property tax rates in Clarendon, Hinsdale, and here on the North Shore are among the very lowest in Chicagoland. The spread of this erroneous information needs to stop.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
As I've stated previously, the property tax rates in Clarendon, Hinsdale, and here on the North Shore are among the very lowest in Chicagoland. The spread of this erroneous information needs to stop.

Tell the residents that(at least in Clarendon Hills/Hinsdale), when kids graduate homes go up for sale. Just check zillow now.

I will give you the home prices inflate the taxes, but they are around 2% for the teardowns which = an enormous tax bill when you go to the valuation of the house.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:55 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,023,540 times
Quote:
Tell the residents that(at least in Clarendon Hills/Hinsdale), when kids graduate homes go up for sale. Just check zillow now.

I will give you the home prices inflate the taxes, but they are around 2% for the teardowns which = an enormous tax bill when you go to the valuation of the house.
I think Hiruko's point is that that rate is lower than some suburbs around it.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:18 PM

1,765 posts, read 963,813 times
Quote:

Sir/Mam, this is not something that is debatable. The tax rates in Clarendon, Hinsdale, Oak Brook, Burr Ridge, etc. are among the lowest in the metropolitan area. That is a fact. Lower tax rates are one of Hinsdale's selling points. Feel free to look up the rates. The Tribune has published an easy to navigate database with all of this information. Upscale areas have lower property tax rates because the value of real property is higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I think Hiruko's point is that that rate is lower than some suburbs around it.
Exactly. Lower than most is the only thing that I would add.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs