Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 12:44 PM

768 posts, read 1,102,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Think STEM!
100% agreed... That's what put my wife and I where we are at and we are Xennials from solid middle class origins...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 03:10 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime62g View Post
I've been searching for a home for 20 months now (pre-approved in April 2017, but looking a month or so prior). Our limits have been our low $400k budget, desire for excellent schools and to be in Evanston. The inventory for the elementary school zones we want has been next to nothing.

So we decided to expand our search to west Evanston and as well as LaGrange Park (more walkable and less car dependent). But a colleague of mine showed me this new interactive map created by Harvard and Brown Universities and the U.S. Census Bureau that shows/predicts which Chicagoland neighborhoods yield successful kids.

https://opportunityatlas.org

The average annual salary for a 30 yr old female growing up in these areas:

Oak Brook, north of High School, around Mayslake- $93k
Glenview by Northshore County Club - $91k
South Loop, North of Roosevelt East of State - $87k
Forest Glen - $87k
Lincoln Park Alcott - $86k
Lakeview Hamilton School - $86k
Evanston Penny Park - $86k
Mundelein - $81k
Hoffman Estates - $80k
Indian Hills Wilmette - $79k
West Buffalo Grove - $79k
Naperville Greene Valley - $79k
West Hinsdale - $78k
Palos Heights - $77k
Woodridge - $76k
Libertyville - $76k
East Wilmette - $75k
West Glenview by Metra - $75k
Techy Northbrook - $75k

Even growing up in Beverly would've likely gotten you around a $69k job.

Compare to the areas you don't want to raise your kids:

Lawndale, Austin, Near West Side, Garfield Park and much of the South Side - $16k
Goose Island - $17k
Little Italy - $18k
Maywood - $22k
Rogers Park - $24k
Elk Grove Village - 32k

Has anyone else with younger kids looking to buy a house been using this map obsessively like myself?
Oak Park is listed as "low income." As is Evanston. I think this study is pretty much worthless. Who paid for this?

Old 11-02-2018, 07:56 AM

748 posts, read 832,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Oak Park is listed as "low income." As is Evanston. I think this study is pretty much worthless. Who paid for this?
I think it's a NPO that used census data. I agree that it doesn't drill down into more specific neighborhoods - but the fact is that parts of Evanston and Oak Park are indeed poor. That said, it's an interesting study, but it doesn't suggest anything concrete about how these places will do in the future.

That map would need current earnings predicted against the data gleaned here. That is not what has been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs