Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 04:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,720 times

Advertisements

Possibly moving from West coast of Florida for job in Northbrook area this summer.Obviously a huge change!Any suggestons on suburbs close to that area that offer homes in the 300ish range with yard,good schools for two young boys.I don't want a hugh commute,more of a small town feel.Does this exist?I would appreciate any imput on state taxes,cost of living any general info on the surroung areas.Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:33 PM

272 posts, read 484,584 times
Have you been to Northbrook before? Do you feel this area has a "small town feel to it? What would you classify as a long commute? What do you consider a decent size yard?

Northbrook has a high Jewish population, and is a nice area to live. Glenview (where I lived), Deerfield, Northbrook are nice and I would classify them as upper middle class areas. I personally consider $300,000 a starting point for those areas. I'm not saying impossible it just depends. Generally speaking, the North and North-West suburbs are generally nice and safe.

The further north and west you go the cheaper it gets - again generally speaking. I wouldn't say anything within a thirty mile radius of downtown has a small town feel to it. It just depends on what your used too. I would personally rent first, but that's just me.

I would personally avoid Des Plaines (lived their too) or be very careful of the area your looking at. I only had a nine mile commute to my office in Glenview, but it took me 45 minutes in rush hour. Many areas can also be a little seedy and somewhat unsafe. Traveling east to west in this part of the Chicago area can be challenging.

I just moved from unincorporated Glenview to Jacksonville. Depending on what your experience is, my guess is property taxes (I rent now) are gonna be higher along with other things. A small example is tag renewals. They are $40.00 in Jacksonville, but $80 - 90 a year in Illinois. You do keep your plates as long as you want, and you will get pulled over if you don't mount the front plate. I also had to pay a wheel tax (city sticker) which was $40.00 a year. Every "town" is different and I believe Northbrook was around $60.00 a year. If they catch you without a sticker its $125.00 for the ticket. Home Owners Insurance will most likely be cheaper, perhaps a little cheaper for car insurance too. Cook County is a blood sucker and likes to tax everything. For example, cigarettes in Cook County where I lived cost around $56.00 a carton, in Lake County they are around $37.00. You don't have to smoke to get the idea - think property taxes. Northbrook is in Cook County, but Lake County is next door. Of course, you'll also have to pay state income tax unlike Florida. Just something to keep in mind, and of course everything is relative to where you live now - something I don't know specifically.

Last edited by technobarbie; 04-04-2008 at 09:46 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Sounds like you have not yet accepted the job. I would say technobarbie is on the right track. It is quite a bit more expensive up here. Plus you guys have A LOT better weather. Our school are better, but they no bargain given our high taxes.

It is going to take a lot of looking to find a livable place for $300K with a nice yard and good schools. If the employer is "nationally known" (and quite a few in Northbrook are) they ought to be aware of how much a salary boost you need to have a similar lifestyle. And our winter SUCKS...

You should read up on the schools online (search on Illinois State School Report Cards),hit some real estate site and then schedule some time to see how well the on-line matches real life.

BTW -- Not sure if technobarbie has been to DesPlaines lately. They've been pretty darn successful in transforming a large part of their town. Not saying it is good or part, just quite a bit different than even two years ago...

Old 04-04-2008, 10:44 PM

I just moved to Jacksonville four weeks ago, and moved from Des Plaines three years ago. I also lived on the west side of Des Plaines, which of course has many pockets, and needs much improvement, along with some crime issues. A few friends live in DPS and it's decent where they live.

If the OP has never lived outside Florida or the south, he is in for a shocker regarding weather. It's not that its so cold - compare to northern florida anyway - but that it's cold and dreary for so long. Picture Florida's weather and how short winter is. Now flip the seasons, and add a few months for fall, and depending on the year a month or two for spring. The cool thing is that the kids will experience fall, which is a neat time of year. Another thing is that is rains frequently in Chicago. In Chicago, it may sprinkle for five mintues and then the next day do the same thing. In FL when it rains - it rains. I used to hate this, because I have a wrangler and could never keep the top down while at work. And if you don't like the weather, don't worry it will change in a few days or a few hours.

For my parents who moved from Baton Rouge, they were also in culture shock for a few years. Everything from aggressive attitudes and language - they never lived outside Baton Rouge. They were also a little prejudice which changed real quick. The Chicago area is somewhat liberal and has people from everywhere - Poles, Italians, Asians, Greeks, and a high Hispanic population. This diversity is great for raising young children. That's not to mention all the museums, parks, zoos, ethnic food etc.

Northern Florida is obviously different from southern Florida. Northern Florida being more southern of course. But you won't find people in Chicago, given people a hard time if they aren't Southern Baptist. This diversity and tolerance of religion is what I would miss most. Talking openly with people about their religions was very eye opening to me up North. I had lunch with a co-worker a few days ago, and mentioned I was an atheist. He nearly jumped out of his chair and told me with lots of emotion "don't let anyone hear you say that, they are bible freaks down here". I advised him I lived in south before, and appreciate the reminder of how narrow minded it can be down here.

Again, you may already be used to some of this, depending on where you now live.

Last edited by technobarbie; 04-04-2008 at 10:55 PM..

Old 04-05-2008, 12:32 AM

409 posts, read 1,518,107 times
I would probably look at Gurnee or Waukegan. Some places in Waukegan have Libertyville Schools except those are probably not for only $300K. If you consider private school you will have more luck.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,720 times
Thanks for the info.We are living in an area called Estero ,mid way between Fort myers and Naples.My commute to work right now is about 10mins so I have it very easy.My kids are 4 and 7 .My husband is Filipino so the diversity will be nice.I have never been to the area but will be visiting in about two weeks so I will have a better idea of the area.We have previously lived in the Islands ,and Key West so this move is pretty daunting although exciting.We have been pretty transient by choice over the last 10 years but need to settle because our boys are at school age and we feel ready also.In reference to yard size really any fenced in space would be nice.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:03 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Asians are widely welcome throughout Illinois

You will be very much "at home" as there are many Filipino families (and mixed white/Asian) families throughout the region.

I would not rule out Northbrook, Deerfield or other close-to-work 'burbs but it will a huge challenge to find something in your price range. The schools drive prices...

You will not want to drive from Waukegan (really don't think it is worth seeking out the handful of homes that might be in Libertyville schools) or Gurnee, lenghty tie ups on the expressway and surface streets, not to mention those schools are a big step down from those in Northbrook or Deerfield.

The weather really was VERY cold this year for an extended period -- I can't stress that enough for someone used to Florida/Key West...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsaland View Post
Thanks for the info.We are living in an area called Estero ,mid way between Fort myers and Naples.My commute to work right now is about 10mins so I have it very easy.My kids are 4 and 7 .My husband is Filipino so the diversity will be nice.I have never been to the area but will be visiting in about two weeks so I will have a better idea of the area.We have previously lived in the Islands ,and Key West so this move is pretty daunting although exciting.We have been pretty transient by choice over the last 10 years but need to settle because our boys are at school age and we feel ready also.In reference to yard size really any fenced in space would be nice.

Last edited by chet everett; 04-05-2008 at 10:22 AM..

Old 04-05-2008, 04:25 PM

If this is the first "colder climate" you have lived in, then be prepared for a ride. The area is experiencing your winter right now (as least this week) and to people in the area it's warming up finally (sorta). Four weeks ago I moved in 20 degree weather. If you have experienced 30 degree weather like they do up here in northern Florida, then that is a different story.

Also keep in mind that you will be restricted to be indoors for most of the year. The grey skies and being indoors is somewhat depressing, and you will be like this for months at a time. From personal experience, I can tell you that I was depressed the first two years I lived there because of the weather. You don't appreciate warm weather, until you move into a colder climate.

I would let the weather issue weight heavily on your mind, as much as the financial aspect. This is another reason I wouldn't buy a house right off the bat. You may hate the weather so much that you can no longer handle it mentally. It will also give you time to look for a house, and get familiar with the various areas. If you get get past those issues, your children will grow up with a more balanced viewpoint of life, which of course is priceless.

EDIT: One hour commutes are very common in the area, and a five mile commute could take you twenty minutes.

Last edited by technobarbie; 04-05-2008 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-05-2008, 07:25 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
Depending on whether your new company is near the Metra line-- or if they offer a shuttle to it-- you could look at homes in Prairie Crossing. It has it's own Metra stop, is set up like a small town (although it's a new development) and has a charter school in the center of it (you have to get in through lottery, if you don't get in, the local schools are still decent.)

Here's a listing for a home in Prairie Crossing:

Property for Sale -

Also, here's a site I've been using to evaluate schools that seems pretty useful:

schooldigger.com

Good luck. And don't stress too much about the winters-- I had a friend who grew up in Savannah, Georgia who moved to Minneapolis where the winters are BRUTAL. She got used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs