Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:28 AM

10 posts, read 47,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattycat View Post
Evanston is a great suburb
1) there is not as much crime as I see other posts state

2) there is much more diversity in Evanston than other northshore suburbs

3) it is pretty urban in feel and lifestyle

4) we have the lake, northwestern and 85 restaurants

5) it's an active community in every sense of the word

6) the downtown area with condos and access to public transportation would be a great situation for a single person

Evanston is a great place to live
(there is not a lot of poverty and crime- I have lived here my whole life, save college and grad school)
So those Evanston crime reports are fakes? Are they trying to make the town look bad in an effort to keep the town to themselves.

Do me a favor and explain what diversity is and why it's so great, to me it seems that all these place that are "diverse" always seem to have a lot more crime, higher taxes and tons of social program for the lazy. Is that good? To me it doesn't sound so good.

The lake, Tommy Nevin's and Gigio's Pizzeria are about the only good things in Evanston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 02:31 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,644,361 times
The crime reports show a relatively safe town--especially considering the low-income areas and the University! The crime rate is higher than sleepy Wilmette, but there is more going on and Wilmette doesn't have a "bad side of town". Like I've said a million times, stay away from those areas, and your chances of being a crime victim are seriously decreased.

Everyone has a different tolerance for crime, and Evanston has one foot in the urban and one foot in the suburban lifestyle. For people like me who really dislike sprawling suburbs, Evanston is a good compromise. It has better schools than the city and cheaper housing (per square foot) than places like Lincoln Park and Lakeview. And the crime is lower than many city neighborhoods people deem safe. But it also has many great ammenities downtown and more character than a typical suburb. And it offers a mix of condos, single-family homes, and apartments.

Some people also think it's a bad idea to have this whole "rich town, poor town" segregation. Sure, the suburbs are a refuge from the "bad people" for many, but what's wrong with a town that has a little of everyone? I think it's a healthier environment to raise kids in. Kids who grow up in North Shore suburbs like Winnetka and Wilmette are some of the most spoiled rotten I've ever met. Talk about a sense of entitlement!

Old 04-15-2008, 03:45 PM

532 posts, read 1,228,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith S View Post
Do me a favor and explain what diversity is and why it's so great, to me it seems that all these place that are "diverse" always seem to have a lot more crime, higher taxes and tons of social program for the lazy. Is that good? To me it doesn't sound so good.
It does seem like more diversity=more crime in urban/suburban areas. I've yet to see anything to the contrary

Old 04-15-2008, 03:50 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,485,827 times
This is false. Majority upper and upper-middle class black communities have no higher crime rate than their white counterparts. If we are making broad statements it is poverty that = crime and in the U.S. poverty levels are inextricably linked to race.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
This is false. Majority upper and upper-middle class black communities have no higher crime rate than their white counterparts. If we are making broad statements it is poverty that = crime and in the U.S. poverty levels are inextricably linked to race.

Please provide an example

Old 04-15-2008, 04:34 PM

Pasadena Hills, MO (just outside of St. Louis) is a fantastic example of a thriving, safe, majority black town. It's small, to be sure.

There are also multiple diverse areas of South Dallas and East Atlanta where crime (while above the national average, as any urban or inner-ring suburban area is) is on par with other majority white neighborhoods nearby.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,644,361 times
Closer to home, there's Homewood!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:18 AM

Pasadena Hills doesnt publish there crime rates so that's a bad example
Homewood has high crime

Old 04-16-2008, 02:12 PM

If you think Homewood has high crime then it's impossible to even have this discussion. They are consistently below national average. Homewood, Illinois (IL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM

323.6 is crime index. that is very high compared to most other Chicago suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs