Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 AM

77 posts, read 52,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Try reading what I have written in my other posts. You will understand if you can comprehend English.-signed native Illinoisan

I have done plenty of thinking, enough to make my way through a Northwestern bachelor's.
I will claim ignorance on some of the neighborhoods mentioned given that I'm new to the country.

But when talking about general safety, how do these areas match up in terms of overall crime compared to say, northwest suburbs? If they're worse, then I got my answer. I can care less about which ethnic groups live in such areas or why there's crime there to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 08:17 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST29 View Post
I will claim ignorance on some of the neighborhoods mentioned given that I'm new to the country.

But when talking about general safety, how do these areas match up in terms of overall crime compared to say, northwest suburbs? If they're worse, then I got my answer. I can care less about which ethnic groups live in such areas or why there's crime there to begin with.
"Northwest suburbs" is such a broad area. Elgin is very different from South Barrington, and South Barrington is very different from Streamwood just down the way. I don't really follow what you are asking.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
"Northwest suburbs" is such a broad area. Elgin is very different from South Barrington, and South Barrington is very different from Streamwood just down the way. I don't really follow what you are asking.
What I'm trying to say is I don't care about the nation average crime rate, if you want me to get more specific, no problem. How do these areas compare to areas like Arlington Heights, Glenview, or Buffalo Grove for example?

Old 01-06-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is I don't care about the nation average crime rate, if you want me to get more specific, no problem. How do these areas compare to areas like Arlington Heights, Glenview, or Buffalo Grove for example?
What areas? Arlington Heights, Glenview, and Buffalo Grove are relatively upscale bedroom communities. All three also have pretty strong corporate presences.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
What areas? Arlington Heights, Glenview, and Buffalo Grove are relatively upscale bedroom communities. All three also have pretty strong corporate presences.
The point is I don't think there was anything racist going on here until you pulled out the racism card.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
The point is I don't think there was anything racist going on here until you pulled out the racism card.
I am not sure you know what your point is, because you have now changed the subject.

You've identified yourself as a naive foreigner, so it is pretty bold of you to accuse me of pulling "out the racism card." Did you read that one on Breitbart or Stormfront?

You are not as clever as you think.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I am not sure you know what your point is, because you have now changed the subject.
I think the subject was already changed with post #4.

Quote:
You've identified yourself as a naive foreigner, so it is pretty bold of you to accuse me of pulling "out the racism card." Did you read that one on Breitbart or Stormfront?

You are not as clever as you think.
It seems like you're taking personal shots here because you clearly have no answers. Get over it, you pulled the racism card and now you're getting all defensive about it. You went on to say that the OP targeted neighborhoods that are either Black or Hispanic majority when he/she said nothing about race.

Since you're clever enough to know more about the Chicagoland, do you mind giving this "naive foreigner" a list of the 5 most dangerous neighborhoods in the metro area?

Old 01-07-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I think the subject was already changed with post #4.

It seems like you're taking personal shots here because you clearly have no answers. Get over it, you pulled the racism card and now you're getting all defensive about it. You went on to say that the OP targeted neighborhoods that are either Black or Hispanic majority when he/she said nothing about race.

Since you're clever enough to know more about the Chicagoland, do you mind giving this "naive foreigner" a list of the 5 most dangerous neighborhoods in the metro area?
You did not have a question. You chimed in to give your little dog whistle too, like a lot of the other brilliant people on here.

Some of the community areas in the City of Chicago like Englewood and West Englewood should probably be avoided. I might also avoid parts of Gary. However, even if you drove through there in a Rolls, the likelihood of you being attacked is less than likely. The 'Chiraq' narrative and the occasional appearance of family members on television proclaiming the innocence of their dead son, violent attacks on innocent bystanders are the exceptions, not the norm. What constitutes 'most dangerous' is hard to quantify. The best thing you can do to avoid yourself becoming the victim of a crime anywhere in the United States is to not do stupid stuff like flashing money, jewelry, or expensive electronics in public, and to avoid joining a gang. Welcome to the country.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:19 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times
Hiruko, I have to agree on some of your last points....Flashing money, jewelry, and electronics unfortunately DOES have the ability to attract attention... Not joining a gang also cuts down one's invitation to problems with violence, police involvement, jail, death, etc....But please undertsand Hiruko that there are some areas where the gangs function because they provide what the individual has lacked growing up (including positive self-esteem, drive to seek out employment and further education, feelings of safety, etc.). I was actually involved in that lifestyle in Milwaukee for years. By age 19, I was almost killed in a fight. I knew to get involved in school and martial arts. The guys around me actually supported me for what I did, because in many ways I was always my own man!... And this is why I work in the County Jail and teach martial arts to youth to try to be a positive influence to those who don't believe much in themselves nor get the encouragement to rise above. Peace to all!- Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 01-08-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
You did not have a question. You chimed in to give your little dog whistle too, like a lot of the other brilliant people on here.

Some of the community areas in the City of Chicago like Englewood and West Englewood should probably be avoided. I might also avoid parts of Gary. However, even if you drove through there in a Rolls, the likelihood of you being attacked is less than likely. The 'Chiraq' narrative and the occasional appearance of family members on television proclaiming the innocence of their dead son, violent attacks on innocent bystanders are the exceptions, not the norm. What constitutes 'most dangerous' is hard to quantify. The best thing you can do to avoid yourself becoming the victim of a crime anywhere in the United States is to not do stupid stuff like flashing money, jewelry, or expensive electronics in public, and to avoid joining a gang. Welcome to the country.
Based on the neighborhoods you mentioned, I could easily turn this into a race discussion based on the demographics in those areas, but I think it's best to stop here rather than fuel it more. I just hope when people cite and accuse others of racism, they actually have legit proof, in which this thread has none.

As to your advice, you're correct that using common sense is a good idea at all times, but let's not downplay the dangers of these areas. Just because the likelihood of you getting attacked is low, it does not mean you should take a chance. The general advice to anyone who does not know is to avoid these areas at any cost, until they change and become safer that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs