U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 01:45 PM

17 posts, read 13,235 times

Advertisements

Alright, so I had to go to Waukegan for a volunteer event, and on the way home, my gas was getting low, and I ended up pulling over at a Mobil in North Chicago. I honestly thought I was going to get robbed even though it was 3:00 in the afternoon. So I’ve compiled a tier system of suburbs, based on how dangerous they are, and here it is:

Tier 1: Areas that I wouldn’t want to live in, but wouldn’t feel particularly unsafe driving by or even shopping in. I’d put places like Waukegan, Zion, and all of the Round Lake suburbs this category.

Tier 2: This is where I’d put areas that I’d feel rather unsafe to get gas in or leave belongings unsupervised in. I’d put North Chicago up here, along with Markham, Blue Island, and Bellwood.

Tier 3: These are bad areas, ones I wouldn’t stop in or even drive by unless I absolutely have to. Harvey, Maywood, Chicago Heights, and Robbins get a nod.

Tier 4: Finally, the worst tier. These are the areas that I would never go, not even drive by, under any circumstances. This is where I’d put many inner-city Chicago neighborhoods, like Altgeld Gardens in, along with Ford Heights.

So what other areas would be tiered this way? And do you agree with what I’ve put so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 02:14 PM

369 posts, read 269,240 times
This is stupid.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
This is stupid.
No it isnít. Itís good to have a gauge of what places are safe to drive by and what places arenít.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:27 PM

1,400 posts, read 675,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym18123 View Post
Alright, so I had to go to Waukegan for a volunteer event, and on the way home, my gas was getting low, and I ended up pulling over at a Mobil in North Chicago. I honestly thought I was going to get robbed even though it was 3:00 in the afternoon. So Iíve compiled a tier system of suburbs, based on how dangerous they are, and here it is:

Tier 1: Areas that I wouldnít want to live in, but wouldnít feel particularly unsafe driving by or even shopping in. Iíd put places like Waukegan, Zion, and all of the Round Lake suburbs this category.

Tier 2: This is where Iíd put areas that Iíd feel rather unsafe to get gas in or leave belongings unsupervised in. Iíd put North Chicago up here, along with Markham, Blue Island, and Bellwood.

Tier 3: These are bad areas, ones I wouldnít stop in or even drive by unless I absolutely have to. Harvey, Maywood, Chicago Heights, and Robbins get a nod.

Tier 4: Finally, the worst tier. These are the areas that I would never go, not even drive by, under any circumstances. This is where Iíd put many inner-city Chicago neighborhoods, like Altgeld Gardens in, along with Ford Heights.

So what other areas would be tiered this way? And do you agree with what Iíve put so far?
This is stupid, and nice and racist.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:38 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,046,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
This is stupid, and racist.
There is alot of both of those things going on all over the place now a days..

Old 12-29-2018, 08:44 AM

2,907 posts, read 3,026,206 times
So it's better to be stupid, and not racist than be safe ?

Old 12-29-2018, 09:58 AM

Guys, please get back to the original question. What places belong in the respective tiers?

Old 12-29-2018, 10:11 AM

5,383 posts, read 8,345,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym18123 View Post
Guys, please get back to the original question. What places belong in the respective tiers?

Impossible to answer.

I can answer for me - you can answer for you. My level of scared poopless is not the same as yours.

I drove through Harvey last week - by choice - and pretty slow at that. I'm still alive.

I was in the Heights yesterday. Parked my car, got out, stayed a few hours and everything. Last I checked, I didn't die.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:50 PM

1,400 posts, read 675,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
So it's better to be stupid, and not racist than be safe ?
You don't seem to get the fact that many of the communities that the OP mentioned have average or below average crime rates according to City-Data. What all of the communities he mentioned do have in common is that they are populated by a lot of Hispanics and African-Americans. It couldn't be more obvious where the "danger" is supposedly coming from.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You don't seem to get the fact that many of the communities that the OP mentioned have average or below average crime rates according to City-Data. What all of the communities he mentioned do have in common is that they are populated by a lot of Hispanics and African-Americans. It couldn't be more obvious where the "danger" is supposedly coming from.
Um, race didnít have anything to do with this. Iíd put areas like Steger, which is majority white, in Tier 1 right now. Iíd even put ďout thereĒ areas like Minooka and Frankfort in this tier. A common trend in these areas is POVERTY, not race. So please get back to the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs