Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,179 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I started my home search journey in 2018 and began using Zillow and Redfin to look at houses. I had 3 realtors reach out relentlessly after showing interest in a few homes. I broke down after getting a call from one realtor seven times; I figured maybe he would be as relentless with helping me as he was trying to get me on the phone. Long story short, I was wrong.....wayyyy wrong. This guy did not know the area I was looking, lied about knowing the school systems and attempted to get us to put an offer in on the second house we saw. I finally found a realtor from my family who I got to meet prior to even looking at houses. She was patient, knowledgeable and even helped me move. The moral of my story is watch out for these shady internet companies and use someone that a family member has already vetted. Then interview them before going out to see houses. If they are too busy for the interview they are too busy for you. Best of luck to you; I hope this helps some of you out there.

Last edited by Lucidsoul5; 01-22-2019 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 02:05 PM

529 posts, read 639,899 times
The title of this thread is misleading, should change it to 'Beware of Shady Real Estate Agents On the Internet' or something along those lines.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
The title of this thread is misleading, should change it to 'Beware of Shady Real Estate Agents On the Internet' or something along those lines.
I think your right; I tried to change the title but I can't change the thread for some reason. Any ideas?

Old 01-22-2019, 03:46 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,481,252 times
You are not obligated to work with any buyers' agent in Illinois. Zillow doesn't show homes. Redfin does, but Redfin is geared explicitly towards buyers that are already familiar with a particular area and know how to negotiate a good deal. In my experience, Redfin agents tend to be reasonably knowledgeable about the area you initially inquire about.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:32 AM

566 posts, read 780,501 times
Correct.
Zillow is a listing service. Redfin has agents.
Word-of-mouth is always the best way to get a lead on a good agent, but you always should interview at least 2-3 of them to make sure they're knowledgeable and that it's a good personal fit.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:31 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,883,589 times
Redfin app assigns agents that may or may not be good and may or may not know the area. ITs a useful tool but you have to understand what it is. I used it for looking at a property in Wisconsin in Door county and I had a question and got a call from a broker in Green Bay no where near what I was looking at. Needless to say I cut that off pretty quickly.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:45 AM

3,205 posts, read 3,481,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Redfin app assigns agents that may or may not be good and may or may not know the area. ITs a useful tool but you have to understand what it is. I used it for looking at a property in Wisconsin in Door county and I had a question and got a call from a broker in Green Bay no where near what I was looking at. Needless to say I cut that off pretty quickly.
You can request a different agent through Redfin if you are not satisfied. In my experience, if you are searching around a place like the North Shore, they will assign you an agent with expertise in the area.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:58 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,204,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Frankly, Redfin will likely have a tougher time connecting someone with an Egg Harbor or Sister Bay based agent since that is in the sticks. It’s going to slot you to someone in Stugeon Bay or GB where the population and nucleus of talent is greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs