Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:00 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,147,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
I love how you guys make it sound so easy to secure employment prior to relocation. In over five moves, I've never been able to secure a job in advance. As soon as the employer hears I'm out of state, they drop me like a hot potato.
Sorry if it came across that way. I know people that have been through it and understand the difficulty. It strikes me as one of the more bizarre things companies do, but that's just me. Do you have a relative's address you can use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,335,336 times
Then the only thing I can suggest is get a short term rental for a few months until you figure out where you are going to land employment wise before getting a more permanent place. If employers are tossing your resume simply due to not being local it sounds like you may not have an in demand occupation and where-ever you move to will severely limit your prospects for employment.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:08 AM

505 posts, read 578,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Sorry if it came across that way. I know people that have been through it and understand the difficulty. It strikes me as one of the more bizarre things companies do, but that's just me. Do you have a relative's address you can use?
I do have several addresses to use. But it's outdated to list that info on a resume. I've even tried applying to jobs with a local burner number.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-19-2019 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:14 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,147,798 times
Quote:
I do have several addresses to use. But it's outdated to list that info on a resume. I've even tried applying to jobs with a local burner number.
Yeah I don't list mine either. That said, is there a reason you even have to tell them you currently reside out of state?

I understand the logistics of booking flights, etc. and it can get expensive. Is there a way to just say you currently travel for work and need to work around that schedule to schedule interviews?

Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,335,336 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

If I was searching for a job I would need to be open to the entire metro area as well as national relocation. I endured a commute from Niles to Barrington then Lombard for years before finally moving a few miles from work. In this, area with traffic and weather commutes as little as 10 miles can easily become a nightmare. In my last job search I got some interviews outside the metro area but no offers.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-19-2019 at 09:23 PM..

Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,874,680 times
I think Naperville is a good choice. There are many jobs around there or within close distance. Many corporate type of places all along the I 88 corridor. Naperville is a really nice city.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:26 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,196,833 times
Quote:

While I'm no chemist nor have extremely specialized training, I do have plenty of skills that fit a variety of industries. Smug, useless comment.
The truth lies somewhere in the middle, luckily.

There will be companies that do prefer to focus more locally for specific hires/roles. However, the idea that you would not necessarily be considered for a position because you have an out of area address or phone number is outdated.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,767,204 times
Quote:
I will check out NeoFuturians, thanks for the suggestion.

NYC is an impressive city to visit. I had THE BEST breakfast sandwich of my life there! Would never want to live in NYC though!!! Where do you live now? Boston is a great city! Evanston is on my list of places to visit. Just got off the phone with my cousin who suggested Evanston too.
Unfortunately for me, I live in a suburb of Houston. You know that plant fire that is on the news currently? My son works for Shell Oil and the plant he worked in was quite close to that. Luckily, he is currently out of town in New Orleans for Shell so not close to the plant. Our air quality in the whole area is now affected though supposedly it is not at dangerous levels where I am or anywhere in Houston right now.

I love Evanston.

If you like Art, try the Block Museum of Art on Church St. There are actually 9 different Museums in Evanston.

Also, trek a little further into Wilmette and see the Bahai Temple. It is the only Bahai Temple on the North American Continent - they have one on each continent. In the summer, my walking club would walk from Dempster and the Lake to the Bahai -the rose gardens are wonderful in the summer.

The Grosse Pointe Lighthouse was within walking distance of my house and that's a landmark you don't want to miss.

Walking on Northwestern's campus was a favorite passtime of mine too.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:47 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,196,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Unfortunately for me, I live in a suburb of Houston. You know that plant fire that is on the news currently? My son works for Shell Oil and the plant he worked in was quite close to that. Luckily, he is currently out of town in New Orleans for Shell so not close to the plant. Our air quality in the whole area is now affected though supposedly it is not at dangerous levels where I am or anywhere in Houston right now.

I love Evanston.

If you like Art, try the Block Museum of Art on Church St. There are actually 9 different Museums in Evanston.

Also, trek a little further into Wilmette and see the Bahai Temple. It is the only Bahai Temple on the North American Continent - they have one on each continent. In the summer, my walking club would walk from Dempster and the Lake to the Bahai -the rose gardens are wonderful in the summer.

The Grosse Pointe Lighthouse was within walking distance of my house and that's a landmark you don't want to miss.

Walking on Northwestern's campus was a favorite passtime of mine too.
I have family and friends working in oil and gas around Houston too. You gotta be careful down there(!)

FWIW, the Block Museum is highly recommended by me too. It’s closer to the lake on campus though- not on Church st.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,767,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I have family and friends working in oil and gas around Houston too. You gotta be careful down there(!)

FWIW, the Block Museum is highly recommended by me too. It’s closer to the lake on campus though- not on Church st.
You are right. I was misremembering. That was also not far from my Evanston house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs