U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 1,250 times

Advertisements

Hi I just moved here to IL from California. I hope someone here can help me out because I am stuck in a loop trying to get my ID/License here.

I have NO way to prove my residency to get a license or even an ID card. I have a few interviews for jobs and Iím not sure if they take out of state IDs to get hired so, I NEED to prove residency now and need 2 items with my address. The paper says only official government documents, house bills or lease, or medical bills.

- I am living with my fiance and his parents until we have saved up to get our own place. This means I do not have any bills in my name. Our shared car is registered to my fiancť and he pays the bills for it until I get working.

- I have my California ID card, birth certificate, and social security card. I have my old bills and apartment lease agreement from California but of course that doesnít help here in IL.

- I was told BY THE DMV to make a bank account and use my checks or my paper statement as proof, which I just tried to do today but they wonít open one without my physical address on a photo ID being here in IL.

- I was raised and went to school in colorado. So I canít use my high school ID or transcripts.

Iím totally lost. My parents live in California, and I have no way to put any bills in my name or prove Iím living here since we arenít married and Iím not blood related to anyone in the house.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM

1,244 posts, read 823,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentskyy View Post
Hi I just moved here to IL from California. I hope someone here can help me out because I am stuck in a loop trying to get my ID/License here.

I have NO way to prove my residency to get a license or even an ID card. I have a few interviews for jobs and Iím not sure if they take out of state IDs to get hired so, I NEED to prove residency now and need 2 items with my address. The paper says only official government documents, house bills or lease, or medical bills.

- I am living with my fiance and his parents until we have saved up to get our own place. This means I do not have any bills in my name. Our shared car is registered to my fiancť and he pays the bills for it until I get working.

- I have my California ID card, birth certificate, and social security card. I have my old bills and apartment lease agreement from California but of course that doesnít help here in IL.

- I was told BY THE DMV to make a bank account and use my checks or my paper statement as proof, which I just tried to do today but they wonít open one without my physical address on a photo ID being here in IL.

- I was raised and went to school in colorado. So I canít use my high school ID or transcripts.

Iím totally lost. My parents live in California, and I have no way to put any bills in my name or prove Iím living here since we arenít married and Iím not blood related to anyone in the house.
Not sure I understand this. Why would a company need to see your ID prior to giving you an offer?

Old 04-15-2019, 04:02 PM

I mean when I am hired, they need my ID, it’s on the list they gave me. I’m not sure if it varies from company to company but clearly they need a photo ID and proof I am able to legally work in the US.

Regardless of jobs, I want to get an IL license but I still don’t have a way to prove residency.

Are there any of ways? Some people have told me to get a library card, or order magazines but I asked the DMV and they said that doesn’t count anymore.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:55 PM

16,034 posts, read 17,817,459 times
For your drivers license, transfer your credit card or bank account to your new address. Ask the credit card company or your bank what they need to prove you live in that residence.

IL Class D Driver's License

The Illinois Class D license is the license most Illinois drivers need. It allows you to operate regular, noncommercial passenger cars and trucks.

To apply for a new Class D driver's license, visit your nearest Driver Services Facility and:

Present the required ID documents. These documents cannot be photocopies. The IL SOS provides a complete list, but be prepared to show:
1 document that satisfies Group A, B, C, and D.
Group A covers your written signature, such as a canceled check or passport.
Group B covers your Social Security number, including your Social Security Card or military discharge papers.
Group C covers your date of birth, such as a birth certificate or court order.
Group D proves your residency. Examples include bank statements or credit reports.
Pass your vision exam, written permit test, and driving test.
The IL SOS doesn't require Driver's Ed* but you can study for the written test by reading the state's driver handbook and taking a few practice tests.
The IL SOS doesn't require a learner's permit first, but you can request one to practice if you want.
Remember, new residents holding a valid driver's license will likely not need to take the driving test.
Pay the applicable new driver's license fee.
See “IL Driver License Fees" below.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:02 PM

I closed my previous bank account because previous to moving, since it was a small local bank with no other buildings especially so far away in IL. I was not working for a year due to having a child so I haven’t needed one. �� I have an orientation tomorrow for a job, I hope they can take an out of state ID. That way I can just wait for a pay stub. But if not. I feel like I am truly screwed. Does anyone know if there is a way I can have my fiancť’s mother prove I live with her? I tried switching a bill to my name but to do that they require my name also on the property mortgage/lease to price I live there ��*♀️

Old 04-16-2019, 05:57 AM

1,244 posts, read 823,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentskyy View Post
I closed my previous bank account because previous to moving, since it was a small local bank with no other buildings especially so far away in IL. I was not working for a year due to having a child so I havenít needed one. �� I have an orientation tomorrow for a job, I hope they can take an out of state ID. That way I can just wait for a pay stub. But if not. I feel like I am truly screwed. Does anyone know if there is a way I can have my fiancťís mother prove I live with her? I tried switching a bill to my name but to do that they require my name also on the property mortgage/lease to price I live there ��*♀️
Why not just show up with your out of state ID and if someone asks, just say you're staying with family until you have a new place because you moved from out of state. Is this really this difficult?

Old 04-16-2019, 06:02 AM
wjj

667 posts, read 739,809 times
[quote=silentskyy;54949388]I mean when I am hired, they need my ID, itís on the list they gave me. Iím not sure if it varies from company to company but clearly they need a photo ID and proof I am able to legally work in the US.[/quote]

So, are they asking you to prove that you are a US citizen, lawful permanent resident (i.e., green card holder), or in the US with a proper work visa? If yes, that has nothing to do with establishing Illinois residency, which would be irrelevant in that case. It sounds like the company needs proof that it can legally hire you from a federal perspective. Standard request when starting a new job.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:32 AM

26 posts, read 8,778 times
They’ll accept your CA license / ID, I’m sure of it. People get new jobs out of state all the time. Once you get a pay stub you should be fine to get your new ID. Don’t panic

Old 04-16-2019, 01:09 PM

94 posts, read 37,318 times
Just show out of state ID and Social Security Card - done deal

Later,
Open a bank account (Chase or whatever bank you may wish) + Change your mobile phone address + credit card address

Old 04-20-2019, 03:41 PM

4,693 posts, read 1,170,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Why not just show up with your out of state ID and if someone asks, just say you're staying with family until you have a new place because you moved from out of state. Is this really this difficult?
Something tells me there is more to this story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or