Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 12:01 PM

22 posts, read 36,413 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I currently live in Neptune Beach, FL but we are returning to the Chicagoland area for many reasons but mainly to be closer to family. My husband wants at least 5-acres of land and the ability to have horses on the property. That being said, we have been looking in the South Suburbs (Frankfort, Peotone and Monee and surrounding towns).

However, I have been a bit hesitant about moving to Peotone or Monee. My hesitation lies in the fact that it doesn't appear to be a lot going on in either town. I'm in my mid-40s, we don't have kids, and I like to be active doing things like yoga, boot camps, hiking, shopping, etc. My husband is more of a home-body, so these things aren't as important to him.

All that being said, can someone please tell me if my initial reaction to Peotone and Monee is accurate? And if the towns themselves don't have much going on, is there a surrounding town not too far that would have these types of activities?

Frankfort seems ok but realistically, we probably need to spread out our search area to find something that fits the land requirement and neither one of us wants to spend a lot on taxes.

Thank in advance for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 03:30 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,490,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged34 View Post

.............and neither one of us wants to spend a lot on taxes.

You better look just across the border in Indiana!

Old 06-05-2019, 03:33 PM

Never thought about Indiana. My brother and his family live in Glenview and his parents live in Palos Park. If I'm going to move back to the "Artic Zone", I don't want to be any further away from my brother than I must be.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:45 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,348,059 times
NW Indiana isn't much farther from Glenview than the south suburbs and you won't get raped with taxes like you would in Illinois with its terrible government.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:14 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,481,252 times
Quote:
Hello! My husband and I currently live in Neptune Beach, FL but we are returning to the Chicagoland area for many reasons but mainly to be closer to family. My husband wants at least 5-acres of land and the ability to have horses on the property. That being said, we have been looking in the South Suburbs (Frankfort, Peotone and Monee and surrounding towns).

However, I have been a bit hesitant about moving to Peotone or Monee. My hesitation lies in the fact that it doesn't appear to be a lot going on in either town. I'm in my mid-40s, we don't have kids, and I like to be active doing things like yoga, boot camps, hiking, shopping, etc. My husband is more of a home-body, so these things aren't as important to him.

All that being said, can someone please tell me if my initial reaction to Peotone and Monee is accurate? And if the towns themselves don't have much going on, is there a surrounding town not too far that would have these types of activities?

Frankfort seems ok but realistically, we probably need to spread out our search area to find something that fits the land requirement and neither one of us wants to spend a lot on taxes.

Are the Barrington area, McHenry County, and the Fox Valley out of your price range?

Old 06-05-2019, 05:03 PM

6,704 posts, read 6,405,316 times
You're right, Peotone/Monee are pretty far removed from civilization and when you get to civilization, the South Suburbs are a pretty rough area these days. If that's your cup of tea, then also look at Lowell, Cedar Lake and Crown Point, Indiana. You can get land their relatively cheap with much lower taxes and it's nicer than the South burbs. Frankfort is a decent option but will be pretty pricey for ~5 acres. Glenview is going to be painfully far from anything you mentioned. I'd second Hiruko's suggestion to look at Barrington. Large "horse friendly" lots there for reasonable cost, not too far from Glenview and good amenities.

Don't underestimate the traffic here. You may look at Google maps and tell yourself, an hour and 15 minutes doesn't seem so bad, but the reality is that you will rarely want to make that trek.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:15 PM

I know all about Chicago traffic. I lived there for 8 years and my husband was born and raised in the West Suburbs. His family is all south and west (mostly south). My brother and his family are North. We've looked at houses in all areas but it does seem like the South has more options land-wise for us. We looked on Zillow at the areas in IN you mentioned but not very much showed up in searches with the land we want (5 acres or more).

Thanks for you insight. I'm just not sure I can live in an area removed from basic stuff like grocery stores since I'm so used to a grocery store being a block away from my house and having everything within a mile including the ocean .

Old 06-05-2019, 05:58 PM

6,704 posts, read 6,405,316 times
sometimes better to search by high school which opens up surrounding areas. Cannot do it with zillow but realtor lets you.
For example, here's a search on Lowell Senior High School, 5+ acres >

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ot-sqft-217800

Old 06-05-2019, 06:45 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,481,252 times
Quote:
I know all about Chicago traffic. I lived there for 8 years and my husband was born and raised in the West Suburbs. His family is all south and west (mostly south). My brother and his family are North. We've looked at houses in all areas but it does seem like the South has more options land-wise for us. We looked on Zillow at the areas in IN you mentioned but not very much showed up in searches with the land we want (5 acres or more).

Thanks for you insight. I'm just not sure I can live in an area removed from basic stuff like grocery stores since I'm so used to a grocery store being a block away from my house and having everything within a mile including the ocean .
There are quite a few options in the Barrington area with 5+ acres. The Barrington area also offers relative convenience. Grocery stores would never be more than 10-15 minutes away outside of rush hour. There are also dedicated horse trails in the area.

Go out to McHenry and you have even more, but you would sacrifice some convenience.

What is your budget?

Old 06-05-2019, 07:01 PM

9,895 posts, read 5,563,078 times
Quote:
Never thought about Indiana. My brother and his family live in Glenview and his parents live in Palos Park. If I'm going to move back to the "Artic Zone", I don't want to be any further away from my brother than I must be.
The Indiana suburbs are no further from Glenview than Frankfort, and they're certainly closer than Peotone and Monee are. If being closer to Glenview is your goal, consider places near Kenosha like Pleasant Prairie or Bristol. Wisconsin property taxes are about on par with IL property taxes, but they don't have a pension crisis so their taxes aren't going to keep going up like ours are. Plus pretty much all of their other taxes and fees are lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs