Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 09:57 PM

3,486 posts, read 2,181,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartans24 View Post
I was able to take a drive around Hinsdale, WS and LG yesterday while in town for a meeting. It was very nice to be able to drive around the neighborhoods, near schools, and the downtown of each area during the day. Thank you @jjski for your input on distance from the train - it helped me to concentrate more specifically on neighborhoods in that range. I am looking forward to coming back next week for a more in depth visit and exploring these towns along with some others.

Driving from the west side of Hinsdale through WS and then ending in LG was a great way to explore in the short amount of time that I had yesterday. I wasn't able to get out of my car and walk around, but I was able to see enough to get a better feel for each area. Hinsdale was lovely and I enjoyed the downtown a lot. It had a cozy feel to it, but certainly big enough for what we are trying to find. As I drove into WS, I started to understand the comments I have read here on CD regarding the smaller size of the downtown compared to Hinsdale and LG. While it still seemed very nice and I enjoyed the homes in that area, we are really looking for a larger downtown area that is walkable as opposed to having to drive to a neighboring town.

I absolutely fell in love with the historic areas of La Grange and the homes around the high school and east into downtown. The downtown core seemed a bit more urban than Hinsdale, but I really enjoyed what I saw. I definitely could see Hinsdale or LG as strong options for our family. The tax rate difference may end up contributing to our decision and I have been surprised as I look at specific homes what that amounts to annually.

We still need to explore Elmhurst and Downers Grove. I plan to visit Clarendon Hills, too, however, I suspect I will feel the same about CH as I did WS related to the smaller downtown.

We are still concerned about the split campus situation for LT vs Hinsdale (or York / DGN). Any feedback from experience with this would be greatly appreciated!
And that’s where Hinsdale has a big advantage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 14,633 times
I went to LT. Split campus is not an issue at all. In some ways it is better as once you attend North Campus as a Jr/Sr you are truly treated like an adult. It's a much different vibe when you don't have younger freshman and sophomores around.

It's what I grew up with and never once thought it was a negative. The campuses are not that far apart either.

While I have since moved away, La Grange offers the best of everything - location, schools. The downside: taxes. Beware of the older homes. I grew up in an 1890s Victorian. Total money pit. You will spend tens of thousands in upkeep. There is always something, plus most are incredibly drafty and energy inefficient.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:37 AM

8 posts, read 14,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS Home Advisor View Post
I went to LT. Split campus is not an issue at all. In some ways it is better as once you attend North Campus as a Jr/Sr you are truly treated like an adult. It's a much different vibe when you don't have younger freshman and sophomores around.

It's what I grew up with and never once thought it was a negative. The campuses are not that far apart either.

While I have since moved away, La Grange offers the best of everything - location, schools. The downside: taxes. Beware of the older homes. I grew up in an 1890s Victorian. Total money pit. You will spend tens of thousands in upkeep. There is always something, plus most are incredibly drafty and energy inefficient.

This is very helpful to understand about the split campus - thank you! I love the older homes, but recognize the potential challenges that come with owning an older home as well. We are leaning towards a newer home or one that has already been updated.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:03 PM

11 posts, read 14,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartans24 View Post
This is very helpful to understand about the split campus - thank you! I love the older homes, but recognize the potential challenges that come with owning an older home as well. We are leaning towards a newer home or one that has already been updated.
Also, while there is a rivalry between Hinsdale and LT, and admittedly I am biased I would choose LT every time. I had friends at Hinsdale Central. The extensive extra-curricular programs and academic rigor at LT were far better better than some colleges. I truly mean that.

I spent a few years in Michigan as well in the Lansing area and have some familiarity with the Detroit suburbs. I don't think you can make direct comparisons of any of them to Chicago suburbs. Affluence levels perhaps, but otherwise I never found much that was similar. The inner ring and even some middle ring Chicago suburbs are all very walkable to schools, downtowns and the train. All are relatively central to downtown or headed out to your 2nd home in Wisconsin or Michigan for the weekend.

You won't go wrong with La Grange.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:53 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Lots to agree with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS Home Advisor View Post
Also, while there is a rivalry between Hinsdale and LT, and admittedly I am biased I would choose LT every time. I had friends at Hinsdale Central. The extensive extra-curricular programs and academic rigor at LT were far better better than some colleges. I truly mean that.

I spent a few years in Michigan as well in the Lansing area and have some familiarity with the Detroit suburbs. I don't think you can make direct comparisons of any of them to Chicago suburbs. Affluence levels perhaps, but otherwise I never found much that was similar. The inner ring and even some middle ring Chicago suburbs are all very walkable to schools, downtowns and the train. All are relatively central to downtown or headed out to your 2nd home in Wisconsin or Michigan for the weekend.

You won't go wrong with La Grange.
I agree BOTH that the BNSF and UP-W factors that largely drive home values along each train line are DRAMATICALLY different than the sorts of factors that shape differences in the Detroit suburbs. Those factors have also contributed to the popularity of things like private schools / clubs in the Detroit being a much bigger influence than in the western suburbs where folks just don’t have such things to steer their decisions...

I like LaGrange a whole lot, and agree that for families that understand the tradition of LT’s split campus is pretty unique it is not a negative. Arguably the success of both Western Springs & LaGrange, as well as sounding areas like Indian Head Park and the parts of Countryside / Brookfield served by LT are testament to the success of the arrangement.

Of course I would also be compelled to point out that the towns served by Hinsdale Central, including Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, parts of Burr Ridge, Oak Brook, Willowbrook, and Westmont greatly benefit from the reputation of the school. The thing too is that towns that do not have direct train access but are still served by D86 which also has an outside range of courses that undeniably prepare students for success in even the most competitive colleges tend to get overlooked and that is not fair. Of course even if the OP has the budget not to worry too much about taxes the fact is the solid valuations through D86 and its feeder schools like D181 should ensure somewhat more manageable tax rates going forward...

Old 07-10-2019, 02:21 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
https://www.wheatonsportcenter.com/

Plug for Wheaton Sports Center, depending where you end up and how far you want to travel for awesome swim and tennis programs. Might be doable from northern DG.

Yep. Recreational amenities are tremendously better just a little further out.

OP already ruled out Wheaton and Glen Ellyn, yet both have much better options for tennis and swimming than any of the others they are considering. Just a little more room out here, and some nice, established clubs.

It's all a trade off, I guess. Our train rides are ten minutes longer.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:14 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Yep. Recreational amenities are tremendously better just a little further out.

OP already ruled out Wheaton and Glen Ellyn, yet both have much better options for tennis and swimming than any of the others they are considering. Just a little more room out here, and some nice, established clubs.

It's all a trade off, I guess. Our train rides are ten minutes longer.
La Grange, Western Springs, and Hinsdale are all close to Oak Brook and their bath/tennis club, as well as recreational center. It's nice, I've been there, but don't know how it would compare to Wheaton/GE. Not to mention there are multiple country clubs in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs