U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 09:28 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,579,225 times

Advertisements

According to Zillow, prices in South Barrington went up almost 10% last year. With so many of these posters, the sky is always falling.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-29-2019, 11:20 PM

5,724 posts, read 9,240,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
According to Zillow, prices in South Barrington went up almost 10% last year. With so many of these posters, the sky is always falling.
That doesn’t surprise me. I know many people who live in South Barrington... Come to think of it, every family I know living in SB has a parent who is either a successful doctor/surgeon or business owner/CEO. It seems like quite a few C-D posters think SB is filled with laid off, struggling ex-Sears employees who are on the brink of foreclosure and wanting to unload their big houses, which is not the case...

And the people living in SB are probably less concerned about the IL tax situation than others. They often have some flexibility on the location of their business operations and the connections/business infrastructure to take advantage of those upcoming Pritzker $45 billion state construction contracts... So I’m not too worried about the majority of homeowners in South Barrington - they are not downtrodden ex-Sears employees looking for work.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 06-29-2019 at 11:53 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 02:19 PM

2,471 posts, read 1,562,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I agree. It is also much more noticeable when a yard in South Barrington is not maintained, versus Elmhurst for example. Some of those lots out there are absolutely massive, probably impossible to maintain without hiring out lawn service.
I don't agree with that. In Evanston, for example, you do not see lots as unkempt as several in the monstrosities that are Falcon Lakes and Magnolia Pointe. That's because the City is going to be called and you are going to be in significant trouble. South Barrington has HOAs and just seems to be in disarray over pretty much everything. It has always been in disarray to allow half of those places to be built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Country! View Post
I've read your post in the past in this forum and you've made lots of great points and very informative post, but man.......the sentence in bold is just so wrong and I'm definitely not PC, far from it, just read my past posts. I hope you are not a realtor or in any kind of business dealing with real estate involving business dealings trying to pass off homes in a "pathetic" state to "foreigners".
Again, I'm a brown immigrant myself who grew up in this country and definitely not PC as I stated, but it would be interesting to know what you consider foreigners.
I have Indian friends, Nigerian friends and South East Asian friends that are immigrants who work in the tech industry or medical field and can definitely afford these homes, would you try to pass these houses off to me and my friends
A lot of people from outside of the area will erroneously believe that these properties are good investments and they are disproportionately Asian foreigners. These homes are often tacky status symbols that foreigners are impressed with, but most Americans are not.

Quote:
LOL, nah man. Deerfield in the North Shore, laughable
Even an immigrant like me knows that, ha ha.
Growing up, friends who move there never referred to it as
North Shore lol, cause after all, it's not even on the shore.

Wait hold on there, Skokie, ........Skokie, come on man. Skokie, part of the North Shore
I didn't even include the other towns but.......... Skokie.

Agree! It never was when I was growing up. This must be a marketing ploy, maybe a ploy for marketing to
"foreigners"
Frankly, the only people I've ever encountered who dismiss Skokie, Glenview, etc. as not part of the North Shore are pretentious idiots who do not even live over here. There are facts that pose problems for such a rigid definition.

For examples: Evanston/Skokie and ETHS take in 1/4 of Skokie's public school children. A significant portion of Skokie is Evanston post office 60203.

Unincorporated Winnetka? It's not Winnetka and it's all west of Green Bay.

Can't be west of 94? Glencoe and Wilmette extend past 94. Lake Forest goes way past 41.

Has to touch the lakefront? Highwood was the headquarters of the North Shore line, the namesake of the area. Highwood does not touch the lake.

Quote:
I don't always agree with what he says lol like this head shaker lol:

Can't we be good neighbors if we see a crime happening to report it to the police. He may have been a young kid cause it was mention it was 20 yrs ago but his father was there according to his post they didn't think anything of it, lol. If I saw that happening to my neighbor I would definitely call the cops. I wouldn't want my neighborhood to be known as easy "pickins" where no one cares about reporting a crime happening.
We were on our way to preschool and we saw a group of people in their garage taking the rims off of the M3. At some point we came back and the car was sitting on cinderblocks. I think they were mad at my parents, and maybe even thought they had something to do with it, to be honest. It was a bizarre situation. My dad had an M5 at the time and there was no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Zillow!!! You pick about the worst source for real estate data to make some useless point?

Old 07-25-2019, 09:21 PM

4,018 posts, read 2,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I have to be honest, we were kind of wandering aimlessly.

I do know we entered Deerfield on the southeast side of town heading west on Lake County before cutting through some neighborhoods. We ended up in the neighborhoods just northwest of downtown before heading southwest of downtown. Little Sunday cruise.

Plenty of beautiful homes, some noticeable building activity.. No doubt about it. But, was surprised at the amount of homes that looked unkept. Maybe foreclosures? And, there didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.. It wasn't like one neighborhood was less desirable than another.
I now believe you were actually in another suburb after speaking with a friend in DF that lives in/owns/rents out a few properties here (also the city). It is a mystery where all these ‘neglected’ homes are.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:27 AM

5,724 posts, read 9,240,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I don't agree with that. In Evanston, for example, you do not see lots as unkempt as several in the monstrosities that are Falcon Lakes and Magnolia Pointe. That's because the City is going to be called and you are going to be in significant trouble. South Barrington has HOAs and just seems to be in disarray over pretty much everything. It has always been in disarray to allow half of those places to be built.

A lot of people from outside of the area will erroneously believe that these properties are good investments and they are disproportionately Asian foreigners. These homes are often tacky status symbols that foreigners are impressed with, but most Americans are not.

?
Right... you don’t see many unkept houses in Evanston... Homes off of Dodge are kept much better than South Barrington estate homes... I was sitting in an Evanston home yesterday and I can assure you the neighborhood houses have many issues with being “unkept.” And Evanston is one of my favorite towns - but we all know it has a few problem areas, just like SB does. No town is perfect.

You see an unkept SB lot and make sweeping generalizations about the whole town. Yes, SB has a village government/zoning not just HOA that enforce rules. Why are they “in disarray over pretty much everything?” You are not making sense. You are a North Shore realtor - right? Is this why you want to disparage other competitive markets (as being unkept places that “foreigners” move to) and keep trying to include more towns into being part of your NS sales market?

BTW, my friends who are LF realtors are moving into the city markets. Maybe you should try that instead of bringing down other towns that may pull your buyers, while also inflating the number of towns in your NS market. I previously posted authoritative books/article references on what constitutes the North Shore... The consensus is it does not include Skokie... Anyone who grew up on the NS knows what it encompasses. Realtors just love to expand their potential NS sales market...

And why do you have to keep referring to the multicultural SB homeowners as “Asian foreigners?” Where are your statistics? The Korean, Chinese, Indian families I know living in these homes (and I know many SB families) were born in the U.S. - they are second/third generation U.S. residents. They are hard-working people going after the American dream. They are the doctors/surgeons performing surgeries to save lives... They are the engineers creating cutting-edge products... They are the business owners that bring jobs/industry/tax base to IL... These are the people who live in SB... In multiple posts, you have characterized them as “foreigners”.. Either you have statistics or you are just calling someone a “foreigner” based on how they look/speak and what kind of architecture they like - this is not very becoming of you..

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 07-30-2019 at 11:46 AM..

Old 07-30-2019, 06:24 PM

203 posts, read 127,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Right... you don’t see many unkept houses in Evanston... Homes off of Dodge are kept much better than South Barrington estate homes... I was sitting in an Evanston home yesterday and I can assure you the neighborhood houses have many issues with being “unkept.” And Evanston is one of my favorite towns - but we all know it has a few problem areas, just like SB does. No town is perfect.

You see an unkept SB lot and make sweeping generalizations about the whole town. Yes, SB has a village government/zoning not just HOA that enforce rules. Why are they “in disarray over pretty much everything?” You are not making sense. You are a North Shore realtor - right? Is this why you want to disparage other competitive markets (as being unkept places that “foreigners” move to) and keep trying to include more towns into being part of your NS sales market?

BTW, my friends who are LF realtors are moving into the city markets. Maybe you should try that instead of bringing down other towns that may pull your buyers, while also inflating the number of towns in your NS market. I previously posted authoritative books/article references on what constitutes the North Shore... The consensus is it does not include Skokie... Anyone who grew up on the NS knows what it encompasses. Realtors just love to expand their potential NS sales market...

And why do you have to keep referring to the multicultural SB homeowners as “Asian foreigners?” Where are your statistics? The Korean, Chinese, Indian families I know living in these homes (and I know many SB families) were born in the U.S. - they are second/third generation U.S. residents. They are hard-working people going after the American dream. They are the doctors/surgeons performing surgeries to save lives... They are the engineers creating cutting-edge products... They are the business owners that bring jobs/industry/tax base to IL... These are the people who live in SB... In multiple posts, you have characterized them as “foreigners”.. Either you have statistics or you are just calling someone a “foreigner” based on how they look/speak and what kind of architecture they like - this is not very becoming of you..

Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs