Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following is your favorite, the best one:
Oakbrook, Oak Brook 29 65.91%
Old Orchard, Skokie 5 11.36%
Woodfield, Schaumburg 9 20.45%
Northbrook Ct, Northbrook 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 03:17 PM

1,096 posts, read 418,142 times
Oakbrook is the closest to us. We don't go there all that often but I love the Fine Art Festival there which is actually coming up next month. Really like Woodfield mall, just wish it was closer to us. Being indoors is nicer in the winter, especially for holiday shopping. Haven't been to the other two malls so can't vote but I'd have to say Woodfield over Oakbrook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 02:31 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Frankly, shopping alone was never going to cut it at the Glen. That was established from the get go.
It was a complete dead zone until it found its niche. The idea for the town center was to be in the center of The Glen, as well as to retain he old GNAS tower. Problem with that location is that Patriot may be a througk street but not a major one. Patriot gets local traffic. Patriot and Lake or Patriot and Willow would have been better sites

Old 08-19-2019, 02:26 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive03 View Post
I've never thought of Woodfield as elite/high end. Just big.
I figured out it was popular since it is the only indoor middle class mall closest to the city. Very useful during the winter. I experienced how horrible Old Orchard and Oakbrook are in the cold during my Thanksgiving visit a few years ago.

Northbrook was pretty dead since it was very elite with rich people's stores, except for the Macy's. The wood paneling really dated the place! I would consider Woodfield as the best mall in Chicago because it was still lively in this online shopping age.

I would liken Woodfield to The Galleria here in Houston because of the similar massive size and popularity, especially with travelers. Unlike Woodfield, The Galleria is home to the Houston area's luxury stores and department stores. Imagine luxury Oak Street combined with middle-class Woodfield--that's The Galleria in a nutshell.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:31 AM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I don't think you can make it these days without being a dining destination. I'm not sure exactly how many LEYE restaurants are at Oakbrook, but enough that I couldn't think of them all.

With their outdoor layout, Oakbrook and Old Orchard come closes to being kin to lifestyle centers (although on a far greater scale). And like the lifestyle centers, restaurants are an important part of the mix.

I don't know how many of you out there are familiar with The Glen in Glenview, the town center for the development of the same name on the old Glenview Naval Air Station site. It used the old terminal from the naval site as its signature structure. It is arranged on a street setting, a cured one. The Glen suffered a lot of growing pains and turnover, but today it seems to have found its niche: restaurants are the selling point
It's still iffy at the Towne Center. Many of the restaurants keep turning over.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:00 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Oak Brook and it's not even a contest. Woodfield is just big.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:17 PM

207 posts, read 213,609 times
And today at Woodfield........

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...woodfield-mall

Old 09-20-2019, 03:26 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It's still iffy at the Towne Center. Many of the restaurants keep turning over.
That just part of the restaurant industry in general though.

Something like 600 new ones go up each year in Chicago but the vast majority close within 3 yrs.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:23 PM

313 posts, read 596,338 times
Jebus. Hope everyone's ok

Old 09-21-2019, 08:45 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olive03 View Post
Reminded me of “Blues Brothers” driving through Ford City mall in the movie.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:33 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
The closed Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, and not Ford City, was used, both inside and out, for the mall chase scene in the movie, 'The Blues Brothers.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs